Florida State 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LegalGENius

Re: Florida State 2010

Postby LegalGENius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 am

lawduder wrote:For what it's worth, I'm an FSU undergrad and I really, really do not like Tallahassee. FSU's weak scholarship offer was sort of bitter sweet because at that point I knew I would never have to come back to this city. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time at FSU but Tallahassee really is a dump.

I agree 100%! I wonder why your comments didn't incur the wrath of the FSU Law prospects like mine did... lol

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

Well in terms of a career post-law school, at least you know FSU is going to need legal advice:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5025440

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:03 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Just so you guys know, I asked some current students at FSU law, including some who went there for undergrad, if they felt that the large undergrad tainted their experience, and they said that it is a very different scene when you are in law school. They said that you don't really see too many undergrads because you spend time with your law school friends and go to different places. Also, the law school is kind of set apart from the main campus, so its not like you're right in the middle of everything. Its much closer to downtown, ie the government buildings.

Your friends are right that the law campus is "set apart". However, once you take a stroll down sorority/fraternity row -- the law school is just across the street. I will include a link to the map. See #47 (Law Library) and #32 (Roberts Hall) on Jefferson Street for exact location.

http://www.fsu.edu/map2007/2007-MapPRINT032500.html

True, the law school is further into the downtown area and the government buildings. Those destinations are very central. I cannot speak to how far removed the law students are from undergraduates, as I do not attend FSU Law.

adjutor

Postby adjutor » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:41 am

I am currently a 2L at FSU law (feel free to PM!) and would like to add this helpful little map for those of you who are from out of town/state to get a better feel for where the law school actually sits in relation to many other things (e.g the Capitol, downtown, etc.)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl ... 3cce98177f

Good luck and I hope to see some of you at Admitted Students Day.

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 am

lawduder wrote:For what it's worth, I'm an FSU undergrad and I really, really do not like Tallahassee. FSU's weak scholarship offer was sort of bitter sweet because at that point I knew I would never have to come back to this city. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time at FSU but Tallahassee really is a dump.

Haha when you grew up in Key West, anywhere else basically sucks.... <3 Key West

gottaloveJAG

Postby gottaloveJAG » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm a 1L at FSU law. There is a lot to be gained from going to school in the capital (and just a block away from the Capitol) of Florida.
The scene at the law school is very different than the undergrad FSU scene. Do not make the mistake of comparing Tallahassee to just another college town (see UF). I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but the fact is that there is more here than just a college (so much government and other opportunities).
If you still haven't heard from admissions, which was the case when I applied...come visit if you can. Trust me, it helps a lot to meet to staff who will be reviewing your application. I visited on a Friday and got the call that I was accepted the following Monday.
Visiting will also help you form your own opinion about Tallahassee.
Please feel free to reply or PM me with any questions. I would be happy to answer them!

ScndCareertyme

Postby ScndCareertyme » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:50 pm

I just toured earlier this week thinking the same thing. I would love to be admitted to FSU. I am worried that similar to UF, since the cycle is so competitive they might be getting close to all full, earlier than last year. My visit was a last attempt to show how interested I am and at least give a face to a name in the application pile. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:05 pm

r.
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScndCareertyme

Postby ScndCareertyme » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:38 pm

So im thinking if its like UF then the last batch will be almost a full two weeks earlier. so last possible admits coming out right now??? maybe next week? stressin big time.

boardride23

Postby boardride23 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm

ScndCareertyme wrote:So im thinking if its like UF then the last batch will be almost a full two weeks earlier. so last possible admits coming out right now??? maybe next week? stressin big time.

I seriously doubt it... the application deadline hasn't even passed and they're still sending out emails to encourage people to apply (I applied last week). Also consider that a majority of the people who were accepted at UF were also accepted at FSU, yet most would choose UF (leaving a lot of spots to be filled past the first deposit deadline). I wish you the best of luck, don't sweat it too much, you'll make the waitlist at the very least and give it until May and I'm expecting a laundry list of withdrawals)

shootermcgavin

Postby shootermcgavin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Not sure if this has been covered in depth in this thread already but there have been recent updates in the first DCA expansion project:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... nsion.html
I'm not sure exactly when this will all become operational but it should definitely play into your decisions about where you would like to attend law school. This facility will undoubtedly give FSU one of the best legal advocacy facilities in the entire country.

I am currently a 1L at FSU and I feel completely satisfied with my choice. You really can't understand the convenience of having a law school literally within sight of both the DCA (in its current position), the Florida Supreme Court, as well as the state capitol. We literally have judges walk across the street to interact with our classes and we often cross over to the courts to witness oral arguments. We have extensive externship, internship, and fellowship programs which interact with these entities also.

Those of you complaining about your time spent in undergrad here have no idea how different the atmosphere is at the law school. I did my undergrad here also, and while I really enjoyed it, I can understand how it could get tiresome. However, the law school is completely self-contained. We never really interact with the undergrad population - most law students live in the better parts of town, we go to different bars, and we never really set foot on the main campus. Believe what you want from my experience, but I can't think of anyone in my section who has complained about anything about Tallahassee and specifically the law school thus far.

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:18 am

shootermcgavin wrote:Not sure if this has been covered in depth in this thread already but there have been recent updates in the first DCA expansion project:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... nsion.html
I'm not sure exactly when this will all become operational but it should definitely play into your decisions about where you would like to attend law school. This facility will undoubtedly give FSU one of the best legal advocacy facilities in the entire country.

I am currently a 1L at FSU and I feel completely satisfied with my choice. You really can't understand the convenience of having a law school literally within sight of both the DCA (in its current position), the Florida Supreme Court, as well as the state capitol. We literally have judges walk across the street to interact with our classes and we often cross over to the courts to witness oral arguments. We have extensive externship, internship, and fellowship programs which interact with these entities also.

Those of you complaining about your time spent in undergrad here have no idea how different the atmosphere is at the law school. I did my undergrad here also, and while I really enjoyed it, I can understand how it could get tiresome. However, the law school is completely self-contained. We never really interact with the undergrad population - most law students live in the better parts of town, we go to different bars, and we never really set foot on the main campus. Believe what you want from my experience, but I can't think of anyone in my section who has complained about anything about Tallahassee and specifically the law school thus far.

Well said.

Gator2010

Postby Gator2010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 pm

I just got back from ASD. It was my first time checking out the law school (and Tallahassee, for that matter). I must say I was blown away. I went to South Carolina's ASD last week, and was impressed, but FSU outdid them by miles. I also must say, though I only really saw downtown Tallahassee, I don't see why it has that bad of a reputation as a city. At least the downtown part of it seemed really nice, much more so than Gainesville.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:35 am

I also had a fantastic experience at ASD. The impressive faculty and unique culture really set them apart from other schools I had been considering. Add that to the school's proximity to sooo many different resources and opportunities and it looks like I could be choosing FSU over other, currently higher ranked schools.
And like Gator2010 mentioned, I found Tallahassee to be very likable. Not sure what's so intolerable about it.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:55 am

Thanks for the feedback about ASD...I wasn't able to go bc it is nearly impossible to fly into northern FL for a reasonable price (does anyone else have this problem? Is it just me?) FSU is currently one of my top choices! Waiting to hear from my local school (ASU) before I am certain about moving to Florida...

On another note, has anyone heard anything about financial aid/scholarships? I was accepted over the phone about 2 weeks ago, but all I've recieved in the mail were a packet explaining how to send my deposit and another explaining the residency situation...

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:02 am

boardride23 wrote:
ScndCareertyme wrote:So im thinking if its like UF then the last batch will be almost a full two weeks earlier. so last possible admits coming out right now??? maybe next week? stressin big time.

I seriously doubt it... the application deadline hasn't even passed and they're still sending out emails to encourage people to apply (I applied last week). Also consider that a majority of the people who were accepted at UF were also accepted at FSU, yet most would choose UF (leaving a lot of spots to be filled past the first deposit deadline). I wish you the best of luck, don't sweat it too much, you'll make the waitlist at the very least and give it until May and I'm expecting a laundry list of withdrawals)

MOST would choose UF? Really? One step higher in the rankings > larger city/state capital? Why?

set88

Postby set88 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 am

pugalicious wrote:
boardride23 wrote:

MOST would choose UF? Really? One step higher in the rankings > larger city/state capital? Why?

The answer to that would have to be that the name carries more weight. If you're from around here you definitely know how much FSU lives in UF's shadow. I felt from the FSU ASD I went to in February that FSU treated the whole thing like they were at a disadvantage to UF and that they had something to prove (like, we know we're not UF, but... ) I think it's sad that even the school itself officially acknowledges this. I guess they figure an employer looking at two graduates, one from UF and one from FSU, would automatically figure that the UF grad had the better background, is the better educated and went to the better school... even though that's most likely not true.

However, at this point I would say UF is just coasting on a reputation and that in recent years FSU has been climbing while UF has been falling (not sure how true this is... they made it seem like that at the ASD anyway). Also, I can definitely see the advantage in looking for summer work in Tallahassee vs Gainesville (or moving from Gainesville for the summer), with the economy being what it is now. Seems like you can pretty much guarantee a job or an internship in government while at FSU. From what I understand UF is currently struggling to place students this summer. This might just be a product of the times but atm it's something to consider. The same could be said for placement after graduation.

Now, I haven't been to UF's ASD yet (although I really want to go to compare), but I think FSU might wind up being a better experience in general just because they feel like they have to work harder to impress, where UF does not.

I would say, if you feel like FSU is the right place for you, there's no reason to consider it inferior to Florida. Who knows, by the next rankings or at some point in the future, maybe it won't be.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I think it should come down to personal choice and which school a person believes is the best fit for him/her. There are people on this forum that will get into schools ranked 20 and 22, and will go to the one ranked 20 simply because it's two spots higher. Personally, I think that is insane. And the same is true of the UF v. FSU debate. Ironically, in years past pro-FSU people would claim that the rankings weren't reflective of the two schools, that FSU actually had more to offer and would urge people to ignore the rankings. Now that it appears as if FSU could soon overtake UF in the rankings, those same people are starting to trumpet that fact. I understand that FSU's rising ranking supports their argument, but to first say, "Don't pay attention to the rankings," and then to later say, "Look at the rankings! Look at the rankings! We're about to be the highest ranked in the state!" Well, that's a little hypocritical.
Here's what I think: I think living in Tallahassee affords you more opportunities than living in Gainesville. I think FSU's faculty is stronger, demonstrated by their notoriety within academia. I think that the notion that a UF grad will have better employment prospects and earning power than a FSU grad is a myth. Through my own research (talking to firms in FL and talking to the placement offices at UF and FSU more times than they would like) I've come to believe that a FSU grad is given the same amount of respect as a UF grad.
Don't get me wrong, I think UF is a great school. But FSU is a great school too. And most importantly, from a culture/atmosphere standpoint, they are very different schools. So I think people either really like one or really like the other.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Well said, highdraws. Only if other perspective students think more like you do, the debate about choosing between FSU and UF would be much more productive.

gottaloveJAG

Postby gottaloveJAG » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:51 pm

So glad to hear that those of you who could attend had a good time at ASD. I was so happy I got to meet a couple of you.
Again, please let me know (reply or PM) if you have any questions. (I'm a 1L at FSU).
Hope to see you here in the Fall!

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:10 am

Thanks Tuyarp!

To gottaloveJAG: I didn't go back through your earlier posts so sorry if you've already answered this but I'm really interested in what apartment complexes/living spaces are favored among FSU law students. I wish I could narrow my search but I don't even know where to look right now.

milogoestolawschool

Postby milogoestolawschool » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:41 pm

I am currently a 1L at FSU. The difference between UF and FSU, for rankings, is marginal. UF was considered the best law school in the state for a long time, so they became content. FSU has actively sought to better itself over the past 10 years, and the present rankings reflect the passiveness of UF with the aggressiveness of FSU. Furthermore, there A LOT of 1L's here who got into both schools and chose FSU because of the city/ prodigious faculty/ environmental program.

About the city. Tallahassee can be a dirty place when you wander about with undergrads. This is where the reputation is warranted. What is rarely mentioned is the recreational lifestyle of Tallahassee. Tom Brown Park, about 15 minutes away from campus, has bike trails that wrap around lakes, a disc golf course, tennis, racquetball, canoeing, basketball and great running trails. The park is voted one of the best in the nation. For runners, there are a lot of 5k's in town. At least in your first year of law school, you don't have a lot of spare time. What the majority of students do with that time is work out or drink, or a delicate balance of the two. Tallahassee provides great recreational activities for active law students. In my first semester here I rarely took advantage of the opportunities to exercise, and I really disliked the city. Once I began exploring a bit and making friends with other active students, my quality of life improved significantly here.

Hope this helps and good luck!

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:15 pm

milogoestolawschool, any suggestions on apartment complexes to look at or places to live in general?

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:10 pm

tag

qualster

Postby qualster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:49 pm

A dude in the admissions office told me that it's easy to establish residency and qualify as in state for 2nd and third year. However, somebody mentioned on TLS that it might be difficult. Anybody know?

I'm not in yet (hope to be, of course), but I'd be very interested if in state were possible after that first year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”