Florida State 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ksd05c

Re: Florida State 2010

Postby ksd05c » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:25 pm

OK went to decision made and then I MISSED the call from the Admissions Office! (I called them back at 644-xxxx and it was Admissions!) They're not calling people they've rejected are they? Please I hope not!

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:34 pm

ksd05c wrote:OK went to decision made and then I MISSED the call from the Admissions Office! (I called them back at 644-xxxx and it was Admissions!) They're not calling people they've rejected are they? Please I hope not!

Doubtful, though they left a message for me when I missed the call.

ksd05c

Postby ksd05c » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 pm

lawduder wrote:
ksd05c wrote:OK went to decision made and then I MISSED the call from the Admissions Office! (I called them back at 644-xxxx and it was Admissions!) They're not calling people they've rejected are they? Please I hope not!

Haha whoops! They did leave a message. I'm in. 161/3.37. Complete 12/4. Hold 2/22. Decision 3/5. Admission phone call 3/5

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:23 pm

ksd05c wrote:
lawduder wrote:

Haha whoops! They did leave a message. I'm in. 161/3.37. Complete 12/4. Hold 2/22. Decision 3/5. Admission phone call 3/5

must feel nice going from hold to admit! congrats :)

ksd05c

Postby ksd05c » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 pm

lawduder wrote:
ksd05c wrote:
lawduder wrote:

must feel nice going from hold to admit! congrats :)

You bet it does!

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:18 am

Withdrawing today, hopefully someone else gets my spot and my $$! Good luck to you guys that are still waiting.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks, I am really getting nervous, FSU if my last chance to go to Florida (ruled out Miami and Stetson, rejected at U of F :()

eros

Postby eros » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

lawduder wrote:Withdrawing today, hopefully someone else gets my spot and my $$! Good luck to you guys that are still waiting.

lawduder, how much was your scholly for if you dont mind me asking?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:24 pm

eros wrote:
lawduder wrote:Withdrawing today, hopefully someone else gets my spot and my $$! Good luck to you guys that are still waiting.

$12k for 1L. It was pretty underwhelming all things considered, 167/3.55 FL resident

eros

Postby eros » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 pm

lawduder wrote:
eros wrote:

$12k for 1L. It was pretty underwhelming all things considered, 167/3.55 FL resident

That's not too bad, it's almost full tuition in state. I was accepted last week (166/3.21) so I'm hoping they throw something similar my way...

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:46 pm

eros wrote:
lawduder wrote:
eros wrote:

That's not too bad, it's almost full tuition in state. I was accepted last week (166/3.21) so I'm hoping they throw something similar my way...

The amount was only for the first year, it was not renewable.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:50 pm

What school(s) are you seriously considering, lawduder?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Right now it's between UF and Emory, and I'm leaning very, very heavily towards Emory.

hhg

Postby hhg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:02 pm

lawduder wrote:Right now it's between UF and Emory, and I'm leaning very, very heavily towards Emory.

where in fl do you live? i'm pretty well set on emory at this point & am in tampa.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 pm

hhg wrote:
lawduder wrote:Right now it's between UF and Emory, and I'm leaning very, very heavily towards Emory.

where in fl do you live? i'm pretty well set on emory at this point & am in tampa.

Key West :D

eros

Postby eros » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 pm

lawduder wrote:
hhg wrote:

hey lawduder, also was wondering about your rational for UF > FSU. I'm trying to decide between the two, and am currently leaning FSU.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 pm

eros wrote:
lawduder wrote:
hhg wrote:

hey lawduder, also was wondering about your rational for UF > FSU. I'm trying to decide between the two, and am currently leaning FSU.

UF has a much larger alumni network in Florida and I personally felt that when looking at those two schools (UF and FSU) alumni networking would be very important considering the schools are similarly ranked. NLJ250 placement also seems to point towards UF having the edge on FSU (even Miami places better than FSU here). That's not to say FSU is a bad school, as there are lots of other lines of work and a simple placement chart can't really do any school justice alone and to be honest, UF's placement is not very impressive either as we're talking about 5-7% difference or something. I'm also an FSU undergrad and I really wanted to experience something new. I've enjoyed my time here at FSU but I really don't like Tallahassee and I really can't picture myself living here for another three years, much less living here post-law school. I think it's also a good idea to go somewhere else for graduate school aside from your alma mater.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either school, FSU or UF, but if I were to decide for someone I'd tell them to go to UF given the same cost of tuition and living expenses. The only downside to Gainesville is that you might end up having to pay for a 12 month lease even though you may find summer work elsewhere and end up having to pay for rent in two places at once.

That's just one man's opinion and in an effort to not turn this into a UF vs FSU flame war (re: UF thread) I'd be happy to discuss the subject further via PMs!

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm

i'm still waiting to hear back from some schools, but the more i think about it, the more i want to go to fsu. i absolutely loved it when i visited. i kind of wish i hadn't applied and visited, then i wouldn't want to go there so much. (i'm out of state, and didn't receive merit $...and i'm paranoid about not getting the in-state tuition for 2L and 3L). i wish they would just give me some $ because I would pay my seat deposits within the hour if they did!

eros

Postby eros » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 pm

where u from mango?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 pm

eros wrote:where u from mango?

lived in florida until 4 yrs ago, so i still consider it home. but now i'm a virginia resident.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:42 am

/
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hhg

Postby hhg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:51 am

wiggsb wrote:
mango26 wrote:

lived in florida until 4 yrs ago, so i still consider it home. but now i'm a virginia resident.

It's going to be tough to get in-state my man. I know a few 2Ls that were counting on getting instate and weren't able to obtain it despite their best efforts.

yeah, i've heard that it's gotten tougher in fl over the past few years.

Arpedzio

Postby Arpedzio » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 am

UF has a much larger alumni network in Florida and I personally felt that when looking at those two schools (UF and FSU) alumni networking would be very important considering the schools are similarly ranked. NLJ250 placement also seems to point towards UF having the edge on FSU (even Miami places better than FSU here). That's not to say FSU is a bad school, as there are lots of other lines of work and a simple placement chart can't really do any school justice alone and to be honest, UF's placement is not very impressive either as we're talking about 5-7% difference or something. I'm also an FSU undergrad and I really wanted to experience something new. I've enjoyed my time here at FSU but I really don't like Tallahassee and I really can't picture myself living here for another three years, much less living here post-law school. I think it's also a good idea to go somewhere else for graduate school aside from your alma mater.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either school, FSU or UF, but if I were to decide for someone I'd tell them to go to UF given the same cost of tuition and living expenses. The only downside to Gainesville is that you might end up having to pay for a 12 month lease even though you may find summer work elsewhere and end up having to pay for rent in two places at once.

That's just one man's opinion and in an effort to not turn this into a UF vs FSU flame war (re: UF thread) I'd be happy to discuss the subject further via PMs!

You make some great points. I was also put in a position to pick between UF and FSU, and at first I leaned towards UF for similar reasons. But the smaller class sizes at FSU as well as the top 20 environmental law program (my area of interest) tilted me towards FSU. After reading this thread, though, I think I am leaning heavily towards FSU. Although today I was WLed at UVA, which makes me a little less certain about FSU since there's now a chance they will accept me, and it is likely that some of the other high ranking programs that I applied to but have not yet responded will accept me.

Hope to see some of you at ASD on the 26th.

j32f

Postby j32f » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:36 am

I'm going to be visiting on March 19th, anyone else planning on being there?

I'm really looking forward to the trip. Right now I think FSU is my top choice, but I haven't visited their campus before. Actually, I've only ever been to Florida twice. Any suggestions on what to do while I'm there?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:59 pm

hhg wrote:
wiggsb wrote:
mango26 wrote:

It's going to be tough to get in-state my man. I know a few 2Ls that were counting on getting instate and weren't able to obtain it despite their best efforts.

yeah, i've heard that it's gotten tougher in fl over the past few years.

i guess i will have to do my best to get residency if i end up deciding to go to fsu. even paying OOS tuition all three yrs, fsu is still one of my cheaper options due to comparatively cheaper tuition and the really low COL.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”