Florida State 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gatorlion

Re: Florida State 2010

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
lawduder wrote:
minuit wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:Can I act like I didn't know and wear jeans?

lol i don't think so

Business attire is terrible, I was totally going to wear jeans too until I called. This is why I want to go back home to the Florida Keys and wear flipflops and sandles to work :D

It doens't make sense to me. Wouldn't you prefer your prosective students to be as comfortable as possible for their visit? I realize business casual isn't exactly a five-piece suit, but the average college senior probably doesn't sport around in slacks, button downs and dress shoes all that much.

I mean, I know they have to prevent us UF folks from wearing jorts, but they could just stipulate that rather than enacting a business casual dress code. :lol:

Have you ever seen a frat guy from UF (i.e. ATO, SigEP, etc.)? Their style is business casual meets Jimmy Buffet. Just ask to borrow a pair of penny loafers, form-fitting Polo shirt, and Dockers (but for the love of Ray J please do not wear 1980s-style Oakleys with Croakies. Nothing says "I'm ready for law school" like sunglasses that you wear while water-skiing).

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:26 pm

ugh, so i have a feeling my flight tomorrow morning to jax is going to get cancelled due to weather...not good.

ksd05c

Postby ksd05c » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:for those of us who have been held,

I have wrote up a LOCI to send to FSU but should I send it via email or snail mail? They gave no directions on how to contact the school via the information on the status checker. Is anyone else going this route?

I remember seeing somewhere that you should send additional documentation to the Admissions Office address they listed. I don't know who you could e-mail to. I wouldn't e-mail admissions@law.fsu.edu because a couple of my e-mails have gotten lost that route.

hhg

Postby hhg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

ksd05c wrote:

I have wrote up a LOCI to send to FSU but should I send it via email or snail mail? They gave no directions on how to contact the school via the information on the status checker. Is anyone else going this route?

I remember seeing somewhere that you should send additional documentation to the Admissions Office address they listed. I don't know who you could e-mail to. I wouldn't e-mail admissions@law.fsu.edu because a couple of my e-mails have gotten lost that route.

i've been emailing Jennifer Kessinger, the Director of Admissions, for different stuff. I don't know if she wants to be the recipient of lots of extra emails, but she's been very helpful & prompt with any of my inquiries. her email is jkessing@law.fsu.edu...

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 pm

hhg wrote:
ksd05c wrote:

i've been emailing Jennifer Kessinger, the Director of Admissions, for different stuff. I don't know if she wants to be the recipient of lots of extra emails, but she's been very helpful & prompt with any of my inquiries. her email is jkessing@law.fsu.edu...

+1 she has been really helpful with the couple of email questions that i have had too

KellyD09

Postby KellyD09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm

Just withdrew. Hope that frees a spot for someone else!

Midnight Rider

Postby Midnight Rider » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm thinking about daytripping down to Tally some time next week or so. Any tips for what to do/ask/see on campus? I've been in town many times, so that's no big deal. I'm more interested in getting them interested enough in me to let me in and also getting a good feel for the school.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:37 pm

/
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSC

Postby DSC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:00 pm

If you are visiting Tallahassee, definitely make a trip up the hill to the Capitol and check out the 22nd floor panorama of teh city. A big reason why FSU and Tallahasse are great places to attend law school is because of its proximity and importance to Florida's state government. Plus, session starts on Monday and it should be very busy. Also, a ton of FSU College of Law students work at the Capitol during their 2nd and 3rd years and it is worth checking out the work environment. See everyone tomorrow for scholar's day!

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Here's my recap for Scholars Day:

Checking-in: the student ambassadors and administrative personnel were at the door to greet you and get you registered. They also handed you a bag filled with goodies (a t-shirt, a water bottle, and a coffee mug) once you were registered. They had donuts, bagels, and coffee for breakfast. The lounge looks very nice. There were about 60 people. The ladies were a slight majority. Most people seemed to be either in undergrad or recently out of undergrad (some people actually attended with parents). The oldest person I met was 27. Ethnic diversity was almost nonexistent; I counted all the minority students with one hand.

Dean's welcome and Faculty panel: the dean was engaging--he was a good salesman. He touted many of the school's advantages over its peers without being condescending. I really enjoyed the faculty panel. The faculty members appeared to be both brilliant and personable. They stressed their accessibility and their commitment to their students (one professor talked about her experience in coaching the moot court team to victory over her alma mater). Ethnic diversity also was lacking among the faculty. Also, a significant chunk of the faculty member is young. They received their degrees in the 2000's.

Lunch: the food was decent. There was a faculty member at every table to share their experience and to talk about FSU law. Also, the attendants got to get to know their peers on a more personal basis. This was my favorite part of the day.

Break-out: after lunch the attendants were separated into smaller groups according to their interests. The groups then met with professors who teach in their areas of interest. It was informative to hear about their experience, but a lot of the information could be found elsewhere.

Financial aid and Student life panel: they took an hour to explain the financial aid process, which was probably helpful to most people since graduate school financial aid is different from undergrad. The current students talked about life in law school. I felt that their answers are honest, but I was sure that they were told to stress some points as well. That, or they weren't very creative since they all said that the people is the best part of FSU. My day ended here because I didn't take the tour.

Tallahassee: it was a gorgeous day! I didn't know what to expect from Tallahassee, but I really liked what I saw. The city is hilly and definitely has a college town feel to it. I also find the location of the law school to be a huge plus; it's right next to downtown and the Capitol.

Those who also were at Scholars Day, please feel free to correct me and/or expand on this. Thanks.

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Tuyarp,
Not much need to correct. Very accurate recap. I might add that another thing both the faculty and students both continued to stress all day was the collegial, non competitive atmosphere of FSU law, a good thing to know for many. As you said, overall the school had a very personable and welcoming attitude. Another interesting part of the day was the "mock law class" in contracts. We spent about 30+ minutes discussing and briefly analyzing a case in contracts with one of the faculty members. Let me just say I was overall very impressed with the day. Florida State Law exceeded my expectations. It's a real consideration now; still waiting on that scholarship info though.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:32 pm

I was at Scholar's Day yesterday and it definitely made me want to go there more than I already did. Unfortunately I haven't received a scholarship and am OOS, but even so, it's one of my cheaper options due to the ability to get in-state for 2L&3L and the cost of living in Tallahassee is so much cheaper than everywhere else I am looking. I really loved the school, and unless I am accepted by one of my super reaches, I will be there this fall.

qualster

Postby qualster » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:40 am

mango26 wrote:I was at Scholar's Day yesterday and it definitely made me want to go there more than I already did. Unfortunately I haven't received a scholarship and am OOS, but even so, it's one of my cheaper options due to the ability to get in-state for 2L&3L and the cost of living in Tallahassee is so much cheaper than everywhere else I am looking. I really loved the school, and unless I am accepted by one of my super reaches, I will be there this fall.

The in state thing after the first year is awesome. In state at FSU is like 14K per year. That is such a great deal.

eros

Postby eros » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:49 am

I'm in state and I'd love to attend FSU (or UF but FSU is prob first choice), primarily to take advantage of their awesome in-state tuition rates and good enviro law program. I'm applying really late in the cycle, and I am fearful because of this (I got my app in late January but told them to wait to review til my Feb LSAT score came in). My GPA is kinda low at 3.21, but I just got a 166 on the Feb LSAT. I'd normally think with that LSAT score I'd be almost automatic, but reading through the various stories on here this year seems to be more difficult than most. Lemme know what you guys think of my chances, I really don't wanna take another year off...

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:03 pm

So, if I have not heard back from FSU by the 3 month completion date, does it seem appropriate to email admissions?

ksd05c

Postby ksd05c » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 pm

horriblegb wrote:So, if I have not heard back from FSU by the 3 month completion date, does it seem appropriate to email admissions?

I guess you could....but an admissions officer told me they just "try" to get to everyone's by the three month mark. You could call and ask, but I don't think it'll speed anything up.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm

so if i was accepted in late january, and received an application for need-based, but not merit-based scholarships, at this point i should expect to definitely not be receiving any merit $?

set88

Postby set88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

mango26 wrote:so if i was accepted in late january, and received an application for need-based, but not merit-based scholarships, at this point i should expect to definitely not be receiving any merit $?

The merit-based stuff was supposed to be due today. I got an email around Feb. 19 with information on how to apply. It was a pretty quick form. I assume they offer everybody at least the chance to apply for a merit scholarship.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 pm

set88 wrote:
mango26 wrote:so if i was accepted in late january, and received an application for need-based, but not merit-based scholarships, at this point i should expect to definitely not be receiving any merit $?

The merit-based stuff was supposed to be due today. I got an email around Feb. 19 with information on how to apply. It was a pretty quick form. I assume they offer everybody at least the chance to apply for a merit scholarship.

i guess my numbers were too low for that. i never received the application, but did receive the need-based one.

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Decision mailed today... 3.4/162 in-state. No additional fees showed up... is this bad news?

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Got the rejection letter in the mail yesterday. Shit happens.

j32f

Postby j32f » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 pm

What is your gpa spencer?

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Not good, my good man. Not good.

As an ACC alum, though, I'd have a tough time pulling for the Noles.

eros

Postby eros » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:54 am

Accepted today via phone call from an especially nice lady in the admissions office!!! Asked about the availability of financial aid and merit scholarships and she said It's not too late, info will come in the acceptance packet which was on it's way. Music to my ears. Super stoked, as this is probably where I'll wind up, especially if they were to throw me some $$$...

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 am

eros wrote:Accepted today via phone call from an especially nice lady in the admissions office!!! Asked about the availability of financial aid and merit scholarships and she said It's not too late, info will come in the acceptance packet which was on it's way. Music to my ears. Super stoked, as this is probably where I'll wind up, especially if they were to throw me some $$$...

Stats?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”