Florida State 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LegalGENius

New

Re: Florida State 2010

Post by LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:50 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:
LegalGENius wrote:Just a word to the wise. . . don't trip over yourselves to get over to Tallahassee. Yikes! You can trust me on this one!
Not to be rude, but what is that supposed to mean?
I have a few friends right now who are dying to get into FSU (solely on the issue of cost being so low) so I hear what people are saying about wanting in, but anyone from Florida will tell you the honest truth -- it is a college town. And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't we all looking to attend LAW school. My point is this, the small-town frat boy life is fun for undergrad but when its time to get a law degree, a job post-grad, etc. I just don't feel FSU can offer a "sure-bet" for those things! Further, I know FSU is desperate to top UF in the numbers game so those that fall short of the mark shouldn't expect their Christmas miracle at this stage in the admissions cycle.

IMO, the best thing you can do is visit and form your own opinions about Tallahassee!

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:05 pm

LegalGENius wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:
LegalGENius wrote:Just a word to the wise. . . don't trip over yourselves to get over to Tallahassee. Yikes! You can trust me on this one!
I have a few friends right now who are dying to get into FSU (solely on the issue of cost being so low) so I hear what people are saying about wanting in, but anyone from Florida will tell you the honest truth -- it is a college town. And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't we all looking to attend LAW school. My point is this, the small-town frat boy life is fun for undergrad but when its time to get a law degree, a job post-grad, etc. I just don't feel FSU can offer a "sure-bet" for those things! Further, I know FSU is desperate to top UF in the numbers game so those that fall short of the mark shouldn't expect their Christmas miracle at this stage in the admissions cycle.

IMO, the best thing you can do is visit and form your own opinions about Tallahassee!
are you fsu undergrad?

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:15 pm

mango26 wrote:
LegalGENius wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:

are you fsu undergrad?
YEP, and trust me, I've made the most of this city (internships with courts, firms, etc.) Not for nothing -- Tallahassee is ideal if you have an interest in working for FL government!!

FSULaw

New

Post by FSULaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:24 pm

IMO, the best thing you can do is visit and form your own opinions about Tallahassee! [/color][/quote]

are you fsu undergrad?[/quote]

YEP, and trust me, I've made the most of this city (internships with courts, firms, etc.) Not for nothing -- Tallahassee is ideal if you have an interest in working for FL government!![/quote]

I went to FSU as well, and there is a lot more to Tallahassee than the undergrad life. Tallahassee is very much a growing and thriving city. You can pick and chose if you want you undergrad experience or adult life. Sounds like someone is pretty bitter about something!

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:27 pm

I know plenty of FSU grads that echo my reservations about staying in Tallahassee long-term. No bitterness, whatsoever! Just an opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FSULaw

New

Post by FSULaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:29 pm

How long have you been here?

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Long enough, apparently.

LegalGENius

New

Last edited by LegalGENius on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegalGENius

New

Long enough, apparently.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSULaw

New

Post by FSULaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:45 pm

I guess not.... you have such a skewed idea of Tallahassee....

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:51 pm

FSULaw wrote:I guess not.... you have such a skewed idea of Tallahassee....
LOL welcome to the boards FSULaw do you happen to attend FSU?

FSULaw

New

Post by FSULaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Thank you for the welcome! Yes I do attend FSU and have been here for 8 years, I am originally from Miami.

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 pm

very cool, I am actually looking for a hotel for ASD just got admitted so its last minute got any suggestions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

southerngrace

New

Post by southerngrace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:03 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:very cool, I am actually looking for a hotel for ASD just got admitted so its last minute got any suggestions?
The Doubletree Downtown gives you warm cookies when you check in. Whatever you do, don't stay at the Collegiate Village Inn.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:47 pm

For what it's worth, I'm an FSU undergrad and I really, really do not like Tallahassee. FSU's weak scholarship offer was sort of bitter sweet because at that point I knew I would never have to come back to this city. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time at FSU but Tallahassee really is a dump.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:19 pm

LegalGENius wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:

I think Tallahassee is a great town for law school since you have all the courts and the legislature right there. Besides, the faculty (and atmosphere) at FSU Law is incredible. I did a summer program there, and I was really impressed.

FSULaw

New

Post by FSULaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:10 pm

The Residence Inn Marriott, it is right across the street from the law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 pm

FSULaw, are you in the law school? If so, what year are you?

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm

For a hotel, I stayed at a quality inn north of I10. It was about a 10 minute (ish) drive to the law school, but it was really cheap (around 40 a night). I enjoyed staying a bit further away from the campus, because it let me see a bit more of the city.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 pm

I went to Tallahassee once while I was in undergrad and did think it was pretty dumpy. But that doesn't mean it's a bad place to study law (and from the little I saw of Gainesville that was FAR worse and didn't even at least have the courts/government).

But I'm on hold so it doesn't even matter.

delnotdl

New

Post by delnotdl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:50 am

I've been "application complete" since 2/12/10. Starting to freak out. 163/3.05

Anybody have any idea what the delay may be all about?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

southerngrace

New

Post by southerngrace » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:12 am

delnotdl wrote:I've been "application complete" since 2/12/10. Starting to freak out. 163/3.05

Anybody have any idea what the delay may be all about?
I'm finding that the wait is normally a good thing ... it means they are still considering you, but want to see what else they get before they offer you admission. I haven't been waiting as long as you, but I am waiting too so I can appreciate the frustration. At least they are honest, at the the top of my status checker it says that they will have rolling reviews based on the strength of the application. At least you didn't get a rejection or waitlist right after you went complete, that would be more insulting.

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:17 am

Just so you guys know, I asked some current students at FSU law, including some who went there for undergrad, if they felt that the large undergrad tainted their experience, and they said that it is a very different scene when you are in law school. They said that you don't really see too many undergrads because you spend time with your law school friends and go to different places. Also, the law school is kind of set apart from the main campus, so its not like you're right in the middle of everything. Its much closer to downtown, ie the government buildings.

southerngrace

New

Post by southerngrace » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Just so you guys know, I asked some current students at FSU law, including some who went there for undergrad, if they felt that the large undergrad tainted their experience, and they said that it is a very different scene when you are in law school. They said that you don't really see too many undergrads because you spend time with your law school friends and go to different places. Also, the law school is kind of set apart from the main campus, so its not like you're right in the middle of everything. Its much closer to downtown, ie the government buildings.
Agreed. I went to FSU undergrad for a couple years, and I didn't even know where the law school was. Downtown Tally is very different from the area surrounding the main undergrad campus. I miss the low COL in Tally, my first apartment was $350/month with all utilities and cable included! Those were the days.

sdk4

New

Post by sdk4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am

SAOJD10 wrote:
sdk4 wrote:Hey guys I had a quick question

On 2/4/2010 my status changed to Decision made, will arrive by mail.

It has now been 6 weeks since it went like that and I have yet to have received any mail from Florida State. Are there others here in the same boat as me or can anyone else point me in the right direction as to why I haven't received a decision yet?

this happened to my friend I work with. He went decision letter in the mail the first week in Feb, it never came and when he called the admissions office he was told it was a mistake and he was "Held"

Interesting, I will call them tomorrow when I have more time. I really hope I got held.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”