Florida State 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eros

New

Re: Florida State 2010

Post by eros » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:29 am

3.21/166

dee0910

New

Post by dee0910 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:38 pm

minuit wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:By the way, are you seriously considering GW, minuit?
Yes, but that's because I would like to go into PI, and I am considering the crazy debt of GW because of the possibility of using the LRAP or IBR plan. I go back and forth daily!
Long time lurker here, first time writer :D. minuit, I'm also weighing in on both FSU and GW. I change my mind, literally, on a daily basis. Good to know I'm not alone! :)

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:46 pm

for those of you who have received decisions recently (good or bad news) was your status ever at "HOLD" ??

my status has said HOLD for sometime and i am still not sure whether to consider this a WL or just further review.....

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:49 pm

k10370 wrote:for those of you who have received decisions recently (good or bad news) was your status ever at "HOLD" ??

my status has said HOLD for sometime and i am still not sure whether to consider this a WL or just further review.....

It is a wait list. I am on hold as well. I have a friend that was placed on hold last cycle. He was admitted a month before the semester began.

UFGator7

New

Post by UFGator7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 pm

I never went hold or under review. Mine just went straight from "Application Complete" on Monday to "Decision Made" yesterday then I received a phone call this morning congratulating me on my acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Katherine

New

Post by Katherine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Got the call this morning! Accepted... 162/3.4 in state

jenilyn

New

Post by jenilyn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:01 pm

The hold category is not a waitlist - I was told by the admissions office that a decision from hold can be admit, deny OR waitlist.

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 pm

jenilyn wrote:The hold category is not a waitlist - I was told by the admissions office that a decision from hold can be admit, deny OR waitlist.
thats good news. did they give you any indication of when they would start taking a look at HOLD applicants?

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:07 pm

k10370 wrote:
jenilyn wrote:The hold category is not a waitlist - I was told by the admissions office that a decision from hold can be admit, deny OR waitlist.
thats good news. did they give you any indication of when they would start taking a look at HOLD applicants?
My guess would be after the 4/1 seat deposit deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hal4040

New

Post by Hal4040 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:42 pm

what % of applicants do you guys think are in the hold status?

Arpedzio

New

Post by Arpedzio » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:14 am

Tuyarp wrote:Here's my recap for Scholars Day:

Checking-in: the student ambassadors and administrative personnel were at the door to greet you and get you registered. They also handed you a bag filled with goodies (a t-shirt, a water bottle, and a coffee mug) once you were registered. They had donuts, bagels, and coffee for breakfast. The lounge looks very nice. There were about 60 people. The ladies were a slight majority. Most people seemed to be either in undergrad or recently out of undergrad (some people actually attended with parents). The oldest person I met was 27. Ethnic diversity was almost nonexistent; I counted all the minority students with one hand.

Dean's welcome and Faculty panel: the dean was engaging--he was a good salesman. He touted many of the school's advantages over its peers without being condescending. I really enjoyed the faculty panel. The faculty members appeared to be both brilliant and personable. They stressed their accessibility and their commitment to their students (one professor talked about her experience in coaching the moot court team to victory over her alma mater). Ethnic diversity also was lacking among the faculty. Also, a significant chunk of the faculty member is young. They received their degrees in the 2000's.

Lunch: the food was decent. There was a faculty member at every table to share their experience and to talk about FSU law. Also, the attendants got to get to know their peers on a more personal basis. This was my favorite part of the day.

Break-out: after lunch the attendants were separated into smaller groups according to their interests. The groups then met with professors who teach in their areas of interest. It was informative to hear about their experience, but a lot of the information could be found elsewhere.

Financial aid and Student life panel: they took an hour to explain the financial aid process, which was probably helpful to most people since graduate school financial aid is different from undergrad. The current students talked about life in law school. I felt that their answers are honest, but I was sure that they were told to stress some points as well. That, or they weren't very creative since they all said that the people is the best part of FSU. My day ended here because I didn't take the tour.

Tallahassee: it was a gorgeous day! I didn't know what to expect from Tallahassee, but I really liked what I saw. The city is hilly and definitely has a college town feel to it. I also find the location of the law school to be a huge plus; it's right next to downtown and the Capitol.

Those who also were at Scholars Day, please feel free to correct me and/or expand on this. Thanks.
Thank you so much for this. I couldn't attend scholar's day because I had an important presentation at work. I'm planning on taking a tour during an upcoming weekend. I'm glad to hear the environment is so open and relaxed.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:32 am

Define 'hold'. Applications are reviewed, they do not initially aid to accomplish the target numbers that admissions has set for the cycle. However, those applications still will not substantially lower the median numbers enough, if admitted, to demand rejection. So FSU compiles a list of applications that wait until further review, which is our 'hold' category. The hold category is not the official waitlist, which is basically a soft rejection. In fact, I think that at least half of everyone currently 'on hold' will be admitted. There is no way that FSU can move their medians as high as they are currently aiming, something will have to give. When the majority of their admits remove their applications or fail to pay the seat deposits, reality will strike FSU, and they will tap into that hold category. Most of the people admitted with a 163 or above have been accepted by UF, for example. I believe that many of us on hold will be accepted by FSU in the weeks following the seat deposit deadline.

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 am

ram jam wrote:
Define 'hold'. Applications are reviewed, they do not initially aid to accomplish the target numbers that admissions has set for the cycle. However, those applications still will not substantially lower the median numbers enough, if admitted, to demand rejection. So FSU compiles a list of applications that wait until further review, which is our 'hold' category. The hold category is not the official waitlist, which is basically a soft rejection. In fact, I think that at least half of everyone currently 'on hold' will be admitted. There is no way that FSU can move their medians as high as they are currently aiming, something will have to give. When the majority of their admits remove their applications or fail to pay the seat deposits, reality will strike FSU, and they will tap into that hold category. Most of the people admitted with a 163 or above have been accepted by UF, for example. I believe that many of us on hold will be accepted by FSU in the weeks following the seat deposit deadline.
I hope so.....I'm desicion in transit at UF (aka flat rejected) so I would really enjoy the in-state tuition, and FSU is my last chance so I hope a decent percentage of those in the hold category (I'm included) get in

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:45 pm

You're welcome, Arpedzio.

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Congrats Katherine, and others who have been recently accepted. Do you mind posting your stats? I have 3.8 / 154 but applied really late, and wondering if I have ANY chance at all.

UFGator7

New

Post by UFGator7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:57 pm

I went complete Feb. 4th, decision made Mar. 3rd, and got the phone call Mar. 4th with a 3.64/161

anp06

New

Post by anp06 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm

I was held originally a couple weeks ago and was accepted today via mail. Ill probably be withdrawing soon to open up room...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:02 pm

anp06 wrote:I was held originally a couple weeks ago and was accepted today via mail. Ill probably be withdrawing soon to open up room...
Did your status checker change? I've been on hold since 1/8 with no further communication.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Complete 1/8. Nada. 165, crap GPA (though to be fair, for most of the cycle it was 162, crap GPA which seems to be more on the border for FSU this year)

anp06

New

Post by anp06 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 pm

My status check changed to, "decision made and will arrive by mail."

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Mine too. Are most people who were accepted getting phone calls first?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eros

New

Post by eros » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 pm

j32f wrote:Mine too. Are most people who were accepted getting phone calls first?
Yes I received a call the same day my status changed...Good luck!

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Just got off the phone with Deborah Hood! Accepted!! :D

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 pm

160, 3.7 undergrad, and I think 3.65 lsdas (took two classes in high school at a local community college)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”