Florida State 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411

Platinum

Re: Florida State 2010

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Based on many of the HOLD's, it seems as if FSU is trying to increase GPA median and is being less splitter-friendly in order to try and pass UF in the rankings.

Lsat101

New

Post by Lsat101 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

I think you're right, I'm just sick of being on hold. FSU has definitely gone number crazy in an attempt to finally pass UF.

brandolphsmith

New

Post by brandolphsmith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Also on the Priority WL at Richmond, and it seems that all of these schools got applications that they (pardon the double negative) couldn't not accept. As in, they could not reject applicants that might be applying to these schools as a safety but with very high numbers. The school is not going to reject an applicant because their numbers are too high and therefore might not attend the school. It seems like the schools are almost creating two yields, and in accepting a lot of people that might be too qualified who will end up withdrawing, they need to make more tiers of WL's or HOLD lists. Hopefully things will open up when people start sending (or not sending) deposits.

Just a thought. Perhaps I might be overanalyzing this a bit.

chaupa

New

Post by chaupa » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:25 pm

melyanair wrote:Chapua ...who are you e-mailing regarding scholarship/grant
chaupa wrote:
eros wrote:
chaupa wrote:Anyone heard about $$? I've been in for damn near two months and got my aid paperwork in on time, but I haven't seen anything except the standard Stafford loan info. Almost ready to get annoyed. No way I'm gonna consider FSU out of state w/o $$ or communication when I'm in at IUB w/ in state.

I've been in for over a month now with a 3.21/166 and havent gotten squat besides staffords either. So if you have similar numbers I probably wouldnt expect much...
2.89/167, non-traditional and the 2.89 is only due to stupidity over 5 years ago. Current institution is a 3.79. Really thought I'd see $$. Finally got an response to my emails yesterday, apparently will know in next "day or so".
stuff? The law office, or the financial aid for FSU in general?
Jennifer Kessinger, for a deadline extension (no reply) and Janeia Daniels (who got right back to me)

likewoahh

New

Post by likewoahh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:44 pm

I spoke to Jennifer Kessinger today asking her about the hold situation and the vague answer I got from admissions about when we would have a decision. Originally, I had been told the admissions office wanted to render decisions on "holds" by the second week in April.

Kessinger said that since the app deadline was pushed back we should have a decision by the end of April, and that hold decisions may spill into May as well. She said it would be unlikely that we would have to wait until June- August for a decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brandolphsmith

New

Post by brandolphsmith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm

With the rankings leaked, does FSU slipping two positions and into Tier 2 hurt or does the fact that they stayed relatively unchanged (52nd to 54th overall) while others were thrown completely make it seem steady?

Also, both UF and Miami rose several spots. Does that challenge FSU's pledge for dominance?

eros

New

Post by eros » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:01 pm

brandolphsmith wrote:With the rankings leaked, does FSU slipping two positions and into Tier 2 hurt or does the fact that they stayed relatively unchanged (52nd to 54th overall) while others were thrown completely make it seem steady?

Also, both UF and Miami rose several spots. Does that challenge FSU's pledge for dominance?
Good question(s). Although I take the rankings with a grain of salt, you have to give them due consideration because like it or not, they have a great deal of pull when it comes to job placement, internships/clerkships, etc. Thus as someone who is currently trying to make a decision between UF and FSU, this certainly makes things a little more interesting (I was, and still am leaning towards FSU for the record).

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm not concerned about the possible changes (I'm gonna wait for the official release) because the rankings don't capture everything. For example, the potential to work in a legal field during the school year in Tallahassee and Miami (for UM). Second, FSU is a much younger law school than UM and UF, so it's going to take time to build up the reputation through alums.

Lastly, what if this is a year-to-year fluctuation?

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 pm

I just am still in disbelief in regards to the jump made by Miami, it doesn't really make any sense to me, esp. after my visit. maybe it is just me though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

makingasnack

New

Post by makingasnack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:10 pm

I got this e-mail from FSU today. Any idea what it means?
"Important Notice from the FSU Office of Financial Aid

Notification of estimated financial aid: One or more awards have changed.

Information on your Financial Aid Application status is available through the FSU Financial Aid Student Toolkit.

Current students should access the Financial Aid Student Toolkit with their FSUID login through Blackboard at https://campus.fsu.edu/webapps/login.
I tried making an account and logging in but couldn't make any sense of anything. Anybody else get this?

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed May 12, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

eros

New

Post by eros » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 pm

makingasnack wrote:I got this e-mail from FSU today. Any idea what it means?
"Important Notice from the FSU Office of Financial Aid

Notification of estimated financial aid: One or more awards have changed.

Information on your Financial Aid Application status is available through the FSU Financial Aid Student Toolkit.

Current students should access the Financial Aid Student Toolkit with their FSUID login through Blackboard at https://campus.fsu.edu/webapps/login.
I tried making an account and logging in but couldn't make any sense of anything. Anybody else get this?
create ur account, then go to webapps, then student financial aid toolbox.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:19 pm

wiggsb wrote:
horriblegb wrote:I just am still in disbelief in regards to the jump made by Miami, it doesn't really make any sense to me, esp. after my visit. maybe it is just me though
What was it about UM that made you surprised to see them jump?

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but to me it seemed like a bunch of rich kids who didn't give a shit because they already have a job in daddy's law firm. I got that feel from my tour guide, and the looks that everyone gave me. Or, much more likely, I just don't get it haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 pm

Are there any more ASDs or School tours, etc?

southerngrace

New

Post by southerngrace » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 pm

ram jam wrote:Are there any more ASDs or School tours, etc?
I am not sure, but my recent acceptance letter said something along the lines of "we encourage you to visit" without giving any dates or events for admitted students. I am going to assume there are no more scheduled at this point.

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm

eros wrote:
brandolphsmith wrote:Thus as someone who is currently trying to make a decision between UF and FSU, this certainly makes things a little more interesting (I was, and still am leaning towards FSU for the record).
+1

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm

ram jam wrote:Are there any more ASDs or School tours, etc?
Well the law school is all in one spot, not much to get toured on. Im sure they would have someone there who would show you around. I live in Tallahassee right now and go to FSU for undergrad if anyone has any questions about the area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Has anyone been pulled off HOLD yet to accept/deny/waitlist?

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 pm

smartin wrote:Has anyone been pulled off HOLD yet to accept/deny/waitlist?

Yep, held and Accepted 8 days latter so hold out hope.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Withdrew today. FSU is a great opportunity; wish you all the best

ta06fsu

New

Post by ta06fsu » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Leaning towards withdrawing. Full ride at FSU and obviously my beloved alma mater. How cool would it be to see Jimbo bring us back to prominence in Doak for three more years?! But half tuition calling me at WUSTL. Parents say its a no brainer(WUSTL) but I cant bring myself to withdraw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:48 am

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:

Yep, held and Accepted 8 days latter so hold out hope.
+1 Might not have been eight days, but I wasn't on hold for too long.

Buc12

New

Post by Buc12 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:01 am

Still on hold with >3.7 and 158....holding out hope

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:44 am

I was on hold for 3 months before I was accepted last week. Given that yesterday was the deadline, I am sure they will get out all of the rest of the decisions within the next two weeks.

brandolphsmith

New

Post by brandolphsmith » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:08 am

Still on hold as well. 163/3.56. It seems like everyone on hold so far has gotten in (knock on wood), but with all the applications now in, it is definitely possible for them to start taking everyone off hold and into their specific categories.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”