Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MirandaHobbes

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby MirandaHobbes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
fl0w wrote:but i believe the pattern last year was Week of acceptances, week of dings, week of acceptances.. etc.

Not exactly. Last year they were doing more than one batch a week, and the days tended to alternate, but not very precisely. Sometimes it was accepts one day, rejects the next, and other times it was 2 days of accepts, 2 days of rejects, or some other combination. But they were sending out decisions much more often than they have so far this year. As such, I don't necessarily think that any word today (or whenever, this week) will be a rejection. That's not to say it can't happen, I just don't think we can assume it will be the case.

Examples from last year (I labeled it one or the other if it was MOSTLY that, but some of them still had a few of the opposite decision mixed in, ie, a few rejects in an accept batch, and vice versa):

Fri 9-Jan Accept
Tue 13-Jan Reject/WL
Thur 15-Jan Accept
Fri 16-Jan Accept
Thur 22-Jan Reject/WL
Fri 23-Jan Accept
Thur 29-Jan Reject/WL
Fri 30-Jan Both
Tue 3-Feb Reject/WL
Thur 5-Feb Both
Fri 6-Feb Accept
Tue 10-Feb Reject/WL
Thur 12-Feb Accept
and so on

they're really behind this year, compared with last year.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Sigh, I guess nothing today. Maybe tomorrow. :cry:

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Sigh, I guess nothing today. Maybe tomorrow. :cry:

:cry:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I applied 12/28 and am still showing up as "in process," not complete, even though it says it should only take about 2 weeks to go complete. Did it take anyone else that long? (I'm a joint JD/LLM applicant, if that makes any difference.)

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Haha, Twitter update:

"We are sending out a small batch of LLM and LLM/Kellogg decisions today! Not to worry JD applicants, your day will soon come."

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Beatrice wrote:I applied 12/28 and am still showing up as "in process," not complete, even though it says it should only take about 2 weeks to go complete. Did it take anyone else that long? (I'm a joint JD/LLM applicant, if that makes any difference.)

I applied two days before you, same status. It says allow up to 4 weeks for paper version to arrive. I plan on emailing next Monday if I don't get a status change.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Haha, Twitter update:

"We are sending out a small batch of LLM and LLM/Kellogg decisions today! Not to worry JD applicants, your day will soon come."

i hope that's not the batch for this week. ugh.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:

i hope that's not the batch for this week. ugh.

i'm sure it is. they don't seem to be in any hurry.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Anyone have any advice for the interview, esp for someone who has no WE?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:25 pm

boilercat wrote:Anyone have any advice for the interview, esp for someone who has no WE?

good luck with that. know the program, know why you belong there and have something very interesting about yourself that they can't just read from your resume or transcript.

edit:
always be read for the "so how do you think we should best use this time" question when you first sit down for the interview. you don't want there to be silence after someone asks you that, and if you are prepared to answer that question, you're generally fine.

also, read up on how to prepare for a b-school interview. it sounds weird, but you'll be well prepared.

thisiswater1488

Postby thisiswater1488 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:31 pm

boilercat wrote:Anyone have any advice for the interview, esp for someone who has no WE?

I interviewed as a college senior. I don't feel that my lack of WE negatively affected my interview in any way. (Whether or not it will affect my chances of admission is another discussion.) I did an internship at my UG school's legal clinic, which I was able to discuss during the interview. If you have any sort of work experience from UG (esp. if it's in the legal field) it's worth bringing up. Emphasize how your WE has shaped your desire to practice law/go to law school/etc. They don't want liberal arts majors who are applying to law school because they don't know what else to do with their degrees. Ask informed questions about NW. Do some research, identify a few programs or professors that are of particular interest to you, and make every effort to communicate the fact that your decision to apply to NW is an informed one.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm

thisiswater1488 wrote:

I interviewed as a college senior. I don't feel that my lack of WE negatively affected my interview in any way. (Whether or not it will affect my chances of admission is another discussion.) I did an internship at my UG school's legal clinic, which I was able to discuss during the interview. If you have any sort of work experience from UG (esp. if it's in the legal field) it's worth bringing up. Emphasize how your WE has shaped your desire to practice law/go to law school/etc. They don't want liberal arts majors who are applying to law school because they don't know what else to do with their degrees. Ask informed questions about NW. Do some research, identify a few programs or professors that are of particular interest to you, and make every effort to communicate the fact that your decision to apply to NW is an informed one.

dude, i am so confused bc your avatar was my facebook profile pic recently :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I'll have enough to talk about. I'm also a NU undergrad so I hope I'll connect with them on that level.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 pm

I think at this point Northwestern is just toying with us by updating twitter. The admissions office is playing a game of "Who can cause the most TLS posts with one tweet?"

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 am

CyLaw wrote:

I think at this point Northwestern is just toying with us by updating twitter. The admissions office is playing a game of "Who can cause the most TLS posts with one tweet?"

:lol:

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 am

So according to the status checker everyone who went complete before 12/1 should get a decision by Tuesday (12/1 + 8 weeks). Why am I skeptical? Has anyone asked them about this?

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:05 am

NancyBotwin wrote:"Not to worry JD applicants, your day will soon come."

That's supposed to make us not worry?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 am

beef wellington wrote:So according to the status checker everyone who went complete before 12/1 should get a decision by Tuesday (12/1 + 8 weeks). Why am I skeptical? Has anyone asked them about this?

I get the feeling their explanation will involve the phrases "rough estimate" and "increased number of qualified applicants."

opus127

Postby opus127 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
beef wellington wrote:So according to the status checker everyone who went complete before 12/1 should get a decision by Tuesday (12/1 + 8 weeks). Why am I skeptical? Has anyone asked them about this?

I get the feeling their explanation will involve the phrases "rough estimate" and "increased number of qualified applicants."

My gut tells me the same thing as Encyclopedia Brown's, but if anyone has actual info I'd love to hear it.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:11 am

How long does it take to make decisions? Its not like Northwestern has the most holistic application standards.

I would bet my application was only read to make sure I didn't put an addendum about being a felon.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 am

That sounds a lot more like WL language to me...do not want.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 am

Oh snap you're an adcomm troll aren't you? FTR I appreciated the dry sense of humor in that last tweet--"your day will come." Bet you all had a good laugh over that one.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:32 am

Status finally updated to complete!

Application Status
Your application was received on 12/28/2009 and is complete as of 12/28/2009.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:42 am

mayosmith wrote:

new tweet this morning: Wondering when to expect a decision? We have a 6-8 week time frame that begins after Dec 1.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:44 am

MirandaHobbes wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

new tweet this morning: Wondering when to expect a decision? We have a 6-8 week time frame that begins after Dec 1.

Spooky. So this should be an interesting next few days then.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:49 am

MirandaHobbes wrote:new tweet this morning: Wondering when to expect a decision? We have a 6-8 week time frame that begins after Dec 1.

Yeah, this kinda makes me wonder if they're reading this.... haha.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”