Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:01 pm

If I were them, I'd wait until seat deposits were in. See how many they needed, then start offering seats.

If they were forced to make a decision on you now, it'd be wait list. I think those of you still on hold have a good shot.

This is speculation however.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If I were them, I'd wait until seat deposits were in. See how many they needed, then start offering seats.

If they were forced to make a decision on you now, it'd be wait list. I think those of you still on hold have a good shot.

after reading last year's thread, i find waitlist comforting. this in/out limbo, notsomuch. :(

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 pm

I know that I have no room to complain, since I've only been on hold since 3/25, but STILL! This is killing me. I got into Cornell yesterday, and I'm thiiiiiiiis close to giving up all hope for NU and GULC (SPWL) and going all gung-ho for winters in Ithaca, but...I just can't. 3.85/168/1 yr WE (education), thought my interview w/ a 3L went great, but...ugh.

I love you, Northwestern! I'll wear your goofy Barney-purple sweatshirt every day for the rest of my life if you'll just let me in!

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:24 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If I were them, I'd wait until seat deposits were in. See how many they needed, then start offering seats.

after reading last year's thread, i find waitlist comforting. this in/out limbo, notsomuch. :(

Same :cry:

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

sorry that i'm a bit behind on this thread...

have hold results been coming in?

i received the hold email 3/10 and then received confirmation that they had received my hold form towards the end of March.
Is this normal? They said I should hear in April.. but no word yet.

Thanks!

edit: i went to my status check and i still have the 'hold' letter dated 3/10

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:19 pm

any speculation, based on past years, as to whether it is good or bad if those on hold haven't heard anything yet?
seems like mostly waitlists so far, right?

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Damn, I need to up my Reading Comprehension score a bit, perhaps.

I got an email on Apr 12 telling me a decision had been reached. Downloaded the PDF, and saw "Hold" , and from the wording of the letter I read that as "Oh, Northwestern calls their waitlist "on hold" "

Only to find out today that "hopefully in the next few weeks" I'll be either getting accepted, denied, or put on the waitlist.

I'm feeling a bit sheepish for misunderstanding in the first place. I guess I'll move NW from the "waitlist" pile back to the "nothing yet" pile.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:26 pm

lawyerlover wrote:any speculation, based on past years, as to whether it is good or bad if those on hold haven't heard anything yet?

no idea. the most pessimistic of us (me) think:

mirandahobbes wrote:maybe we're on the line dividing WL and ding and they're waiting to see what happens after the april 30 seat deposit deadline. if enough people deposit, we're getting the ding. and if they don't get the numbers, we get WL letters.

while the optimists favor:

jms85 wrote:...It could be that we're on an admit/waitlist borderline, and they're waiting until seat deposits come in to figure out exactly where the cutoff point is.
I find it hard to believe they'd reject so many 3.4-3.5, 170-1-2-3s. Should be waitlisted at least. I mainly say that because seat deposits don't guarantee that a person is going to attend. So while a low number number of seat deposits would probably tend to warrant more acceptances, a high number of seat deposits would probably tend to move people from acceptance to waitlist. I doubt it would move many people from acceptance range to rejection range...

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:29 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
lawyerlover wrote:any speculation, based on past years, as to whether it is good or bad if those on hold haven't heard anything yet?

mirandahobbes wrote:maybe we're on the line dividing WL and ding and they're waiting to see what happens after the april 30 seat deposit deadline. if enough people deposit, we're getting the ding. and if they don't get the numbers, we get WL letters.

jms85 wrote:...It could be that we're on an admit/waitlist borderline, and they're waiting until seat deposits come in to figure out exactly where the cutoff point is.
I find it hard to believe they'd reject so many 3.4-3.5, 170-1-2-3s. Should be waitlisted at least. I mainly say that because seat deposits don't guarantee that a person is going to attend. So while a low number number of seat deposits would probably tend to warrant more acceptances, a high number of seat deposits would probably tend to move people from acceptance to waitlist. I doubt it would move many people from acceptance range to rejection range...

Any hold --> rejection thus far?

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:I know that I have no room to complain, since I've only been on hold since 3/25, but STILL! This is killing me. I got into Cornell yesterday, and I'm thiiiiiiiis close to giving up all hope for NU and GULC (SPWL) and going all gung-ho for winters in Ithaca, but...I just can't. 3.85/168/1 yr WE (education), thought my interview w/ a 3L went great, but...ugh.

I love you, Northwestern! I'll wear your goofy Barney-purple sweatshirt every day for the rest of my life if you'll just let me in!

I'll give you a point from my LSAT if I can have 0.2 from your GPA. Sound good? :-P

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 pm

I guess we won't hear anything today. :oops:

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

dreaming wrote:I guess we won't hear anything today. :oops:

doesn't seem so. last week, decisions came on wednesday and thursday... for whatever that's worth.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Nope. But, if it helps, today was the day that they sent an email to anyone who didn't email back the form indicating that they wanted to continue to be "on hold", informing them that they were being taken off of the hold list and no longer being considered.

I'm not sure if that's a statistically significant event, but it's worth mentioning.

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:

doesn't seem so. last week, decisions came on wednesday and thursday... for whatever that's worth.

So maybe tomorrow...? :shock:

Or maybe they will just keep us "holding on" forever :(

jms85

Postby jms85 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:

Wow. Singled out as the voice of the optimists. Thanks, Ms. Hobbes. I'll take it. 8)

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:42 pm

jms85 wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:

Wow. Singled out as the voice of the optimists. Thanks, Ms. Hobbes. I'll take it. 8)

i thought it was a nice counterpoint to my theory. i hope that didn't offend.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Dinged. No suprises there.

Edit: Well, maybe one mild surprise. My status checker had been stuck at complete 1/31 (same date I applied), before the rejection today.
Last edited by jman77 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:

Nope. But, if it helps, today was the day that they sent an email to anyone who didn't email back the form indicating that they wanted to continue to be "on hold", informing them that they were being taken off of the hold list and no longer being considered.

I'm not sure if that's a statistically significant event, but it's worth mentioning.

And gave me a heart attack, as I did mail in the form and confirmed their receipt of the form over the phone. Imagine my shock to get an email today saying they did not receive the form and that my application had been withdrawn. I did call and was told they email was sent to me in error. I also sent them an email asking for written confirmation of that fact because I am a little bit paranoid about these things and have learned from experience that it is best to get these things in writing. I received a very quick response to my email as well. Hopefully we will all hear something soon. :-D

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:18 pm

jman77 wrote:Dinged. No suprises there.

Edit: Well, maybe one mild surprise. My status checker had been stuck at complete 1/31 (same date I applied), before the rejection today.

sorry to hear that jman77.

looks like this is not a hold batch. nu tweets: JD decisions are going out this evening! Keep an eye on your email!

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:19 pm

They tweeted: JD decisions are going out this evening! Keep an eye on your email!

Do you think this is only for non-hold people??? :?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
jman77 wrote:Dinged. No suprises there.

sorry to hear that jman77.

looks like this is not a hold batch. nu tweets: JD decisions are going out this evening! Keep an eye on your email!

Thanks... it was pretty much expected, since I didn't even schedule an interview due to the lateness of my application and corresponding unavailability of off-campus interview slots. Plus, my LSAT score... Kinda hoped my WE would give me a boost though.

Good luck to the rest of you still waiting.

cindytran872

Postby cindytran872 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:56 pm

You know how on NU admission's twitter it says that JD decisions come out today...is that for the HOLD people? Or just another batch?

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Anyone have any idea what "evening" means in NU-speak? Should I panic starting now until I wake up tomorrow morning? Have previous decision batches gone out at a certain time?

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Tweek wrote:Anyone have any idea what "evening" means in NU-speak? Should I panic starting now until I wake up tomorrow morning? Have previous decision batches gone out at a certain time?

i got my hold email at about 7:00PM EST. that has passed. but you never know... don't panic, tweek :)

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:26 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:
Tweek wrote:Anyone have any idea what "evening" means in NU-speak? Should I panic starting now until I wake up tomorrow morning? Have previous decision batches gone out at a certain time?

i got my hold email at about 7:00PM EST. that has passed. but you never know... don't panic, tweek :)

Also- I tweeted back at them, asking if it is for held JD applicants. i wonder if they'll see + reply... remains to be seen.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”