Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby danidancer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Wow. Those WL numbers are intense. I'm a lethargic 3.45/168. Seriously, no idea how I made the cut. :D

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:16 pm

noname4 wrote:If they were gonna axe the rest they would just put us out of our misery today, I'm quite certain...

edit: Northwestern Law admissions, if you are reading this and plan on dinging the rest of us holders, do it now pls


maybe we're on the line dividing WL and ding and they're waiting to see what happens after the april 30 seat deposit deadline. if enough people deposit, we're getting the ding. and if they don't get the numbers, we get WL letters.

dreaming
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby dreaming » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:22 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
noname4 wrote:If they were gonna axe the rest they would just put us out of our misery today, I'm quite certain...

edit: Northwestern Law admissions, if you are reading this and plan on dinging the rest of us holders, do it now pls


maybe we're on the line dividing WL and ding and they're waiting to see what happens after the april 30 seat deposit deadline. if enough people deposit, we're getting the ding. and if they don't get the numbers, we get WL letters.


It's going to be really hard to wait this out another week or two. :oops:

apples
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby apples » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:26 pm

WL from hold for me. (ltr is dated 4/22 like others. i didn't think to check on it until reading these posts now.

i am sad.

i have nothing new to say in a loci. i already told them they were my one and only.

jms85
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby jms85 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:38 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
noname4 wrote:If they were gonna axe the rest they would just put us out of our misery today, I'm quite certain...

edit: Northwestern Law admissions, if you are reading this and plan on dinging the rest of us holders, do it now pls


maybe we're on the line dividing WL and ding and they're waiting to see what happens after the april 30 seat deposit deadline. if enough people deposit, we're getting the ding. and if they don't get the numbers, we get WL letters.


Seems like an overly pessimistic outlook to me. It could be that we're on an admit/waitlist borderline, and they're waiting until seat deposits come in to figure out exactly where the cutoff point is.

I find it hard to believe they'd reject so many 3.4-3.5, 170-1-2-3s. Should be waitlisted at least. I mainly say that because seat deposits don't guarantee that a person is going to attend. So while a low number number of seat deposits would probably tend to warrant more acceptances, a high number of seat deposits would probably tend to move people from acceptance to waitlist. I doubt it would move many people from acceptance range to rejection range.

I may just be trying to rationalize my (tempered) optimism, but there it is.

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:57 pm

jms85 wrote:Seems like an overly pessimistic outlook to me. It could be that we're on an admit/waitlist borderline, and they're waiting until seat deposits come in to figure out exactly where the cutoff point is.

I find it hard to believe they'd reject so many 3.4-3.5, 170-1-2-3s. Should be waitlisted at least. I mainly say that because seat deposits don't guarantee that a person is going to attend. So while a low number number of seat deposits would probably tend to warrant more acceptances, a high number of seat deposits would probably tend to move people from acceptance to waitlist. I doubt it would move many people from acceptance range to rejection range.

I may just be trying to rationalize my (tempered) optimism, but there it is.


good point, jms. i'll try to adopt some of your optimism. :wink:

cheesus
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby cheesus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:30 pm

jms85 wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:
noname4 wrote:If they were gonna axe the rest they would just put us out of our misery today, I'm quite certain...

edit: Northwestern Law admissions, if you are reading this and plan on dinging the rest of us holders, do it now pls


maybe we're on the line dividing WL and ding and they're waiting to see what happens after the april 30 seat deposit deadline. if enough people deposit, we're getting the ding. and if they don't get the numbers, we get WL letters.


Seems like an overly pessimistic outlook to me. It could be that we're on an admit/waitlist borderline, and they're waiting until seat deposits come in to figure out exactly where the cutoff point is.

I find it hard to believe they'd reject so many 3.4-3.5, 170-1-2-3s. Should be waitlisted at least. I mainly say that because seat deposits don't guarantee that a person is going to attend. So while a low number number of seat deposits would probably tend to warrant more acceptances, a high number of seat deposits would probably tend to move people from acceptance to waitlist. I doubt it would move many people from acceptance range to rejection range.

I may just be trying to rationalize my (tempered) optimism, but there it is.


+1

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby autarkh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Tempered optimism is still in order, methinks. I don't see the list of people on the hold side being outright dings.

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 pm

WL:
170/3.0x
177/2.95
171/3.4
169/3.87

Still on hold:
171/3.47
172/3.2x
171/3.2
173/3.5ish
172/3.5
169/3.5x

Reposted for analysis:

No way those holds are all dings. Look at those numbers.

End analysis.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby TTT-LS » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Lots of those high numbers (e.g., 3.5/172) type are probably delay-YPs. As in, the school figures they're in somewhere else of equal or greater rank and may be using delay to identify the people who are truly interested.

Any protips for getting off the waitlist, TTT-LS?

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:Lots of those high numbers (e.g., 3.5/172) type are probably delay-YPs. As in, the school figures they're in somewhere else of equal or greater rank and may be using delay to identify the people who are truly interested.

Any protips for getting off the waitlist, TTT-LS?


+1 re: getting off hold.

kingsmill
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby kingsmill » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:00 pm

still held, 179/foreign Undergrad......

Have sent in 1 LOCI, no response since Mar 26.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:07 pm

kingsmill wrote:still held, 179/foreign Undergrad......

Have sent in 1 LOCI, no response since Mar 26.


...and I once again wonder how I got in.

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 pm

kingsmill wrote:still held, 179/foreign Undergrad......

Have sent in 1 LOCI, no response since Mar 26.


wow, kingsmill. :shock: i feel less crappy knowing i'm in such good company. good luck!

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby hmlee » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:17 am

TTT-LS wrote:Lots of those high numbers (e.g., 3.5/172) type are probably delay-YPs. As in, the school figures they're in somewhere else of equal or greater rank and may be using delay to identify the people who are truly interested.


This. As I've said earlier, I think that my LOCI which listed NU as my first choice and offered to withdraw all my applications if I was accepted was what showed NU that I really wanted to go.

I just realized that yesterday was the 1 year mark for me since I got in. Funny. If this year conforms to last, there will be a small number of admits off hold towards the end, and then the list will be split into WLs and rejects. Though, I think as you can see from the WL thread from last year, a decent number of people ended up getting in off the WL too.

2013esq
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 2013esq » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:40 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
HelplessinAZ wrote:have there been any hold ----->accept?

Not that I've seen so far, unless some of these recent "IN" comments were coming off hold. I think they were just late applicants, though. Oh wait, was 2013esq on hold? I think he was.


yep, she was hold --> accept.


This.

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Xizenta » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:47 am

173/3.2 app here, sent in my stuff on 3/1/2010, never did an interview. Graduated in Spring 09 and started my own business in early 09 (that's my work experience for the past year.)

Do I even have a shot? Between a late app, little WE, and no interview, I haven't even held my breath for NW.
My app went complete a day after I sent it and i haven't seen any movement since.

User avatar
roundabout
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby roundabout » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 am

apples wrote:WL from hold for me. (ltr is dated 4/22 like others. i didn't think to check on it until reading these posts now.

i am sad.

i have nothing new to say in a loci. i already told them they were my one and only.


I'm sorry, apples. Did you say you'd withdraw all other apps? Anything you're doing at work you can parlay into another LOCI, or has your boss done the career progress thang?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Xizenta wrote:173/3.2 app here, sent in my stuff on 3/1/2010, never did an interview. Graduated in Spring 09 and started my own business in early 09 (that's my work experience for the past year.)

Do I even have a shot? Between a late app, little WE, and no interview, I haven't even held my breath for NW.
My app went complete a day after I sent it and i haven't seen any movement since.


I'm sure you are headed for a WL, but I think you have a decent shot of getting off that wait list.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby dk8 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:39 pm

DF, since you are the resident NU troll, what do you think of the QOL at NU? I just went hold-->WL there and I'm contemplating eventually sending the "ultimate LOCI". It's a great school but it has a reputation on here as being a retirement home. True?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:46 pm

dk8 wrote:DF, since you are the resident NU troll, what do you think of the QOL at NU? I just went hold-->WL there and I'm contemplating eventually sending the "ultimate LOCI". It's a great school but it has a reputation on here as being a retirement home. True?


It's one of the best parts of Chicago, which makes living a bit expensive, but you can always move farther away and commute. But it seems like more than half live near campus. The school is in between the Hancock, and Navy Pier, and has a lake view.

The students there were really great. Friendly, interesting and mature. And by mature, I don't mean boring. Chicago has a great nightlife and it seems like a lot take advantage of it.

The admitted students were uniformly 23+, but there weren't too many over 30. It was like the mix you'd find at entry level jobs in any corporation.

I can't compare it to other schools, but I feel like I made the right choice EDing.

Where else are you admitted.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby dk8 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dk8 wrote:DF, since you are the resident NU troll, what do you think of the QOL at NU? I just went hold-->WL there and I'm contemplating eventually sending the "ultimate LOCI". It's a great school but it has a reputation on here as being a retirement home. True?


It's one of the best parts of Chicago, which makes living a bit expensive, but you can always move farther away and commute. But it seems like more than half live near campus. The school is in between the Hancock, and Navy Pier, and has a lake view.

The students there were really great. Friendly, interesting and mature. And by mature, I don't mean boring. Chicago has a great nightlife and it seems like a lot take advantage of it.

The admitted students were uniformly 23+, but there weren't too many over 30. It was like the mix you'd find at entry level jobs in any corporation.

I can't compare it to other schools, but I feel like I made the right choice EDing.

Where else are you admitted.


I'm in my mid 20's but I still like to have drinks and enjoy myself when possible. As long as there are some people down for that I"ll be fine.

As of now I'm admitted with decent scholarship to W&L and waitlisted at most of the lower T14 (PR at Duke SPWL at GULC). I think I have a decent chance of getting off of one after deposits (I'm 3.5/171) and I'm trying to decide when and where to send that unconditional LOCI.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Did someone say drinks?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:04 pm

I would not be afraid to send out two unconditional LOCIs. Just withdraw from the other immediately, no harm no foul




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests