Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Swamp Monster

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Swamp Monster » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:55 am

Seems to have been a smallish batch..when I saw that tweet at 5:30 I really thought today was the day. It's now been exactly 6 weeks (had a late interview) since my complete date and 8-9 weeks since they got my application. NU's definitely my top choice and I'll obviously wait as long as it takes if it gets me in (hopefully!) but I can't believe it's the last week of April and I'm still deciding where to go. If NU comes through I'll have no more decisions to make, which is kind of appealing at the end of a long cycle...

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 am

Swamp Monster wrote:Seems to have been a smallish batch..when I saw that tweet at 5:30 I really thought today was the day. It's now been exactly 6 weeks (had a late interview) since my complete date and 8-9 weeks since they got my application. NU's definitely my top choice and I'll obviously wait as long as it takes if it gets me in (hopefully!) but I can't believe it's the last week of April and I'm still deciding where to go. If NU comes through I'll have no more decisions to make, which is kind of appealing at the end of a long cycle...

long cycle?

Some of use applied in October/November, and have therefore been waiting nearly 6 MONTHS, not weeks (being "held" may be a decision to them, but to us it's not, so I'm still waiting for my decision as far as I'm concerned).

Swamp Monster

Postby Swamp Monster » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 am

No need to get ornery. I applied to NU pretty late, I applied to almost all my other schools with an older (worse) LSAT score, some of which still haven't gotten back to me. I meant my cycle as a whole, not just the Northwestern application.

NancyBotwin wrote:
Swamp Monster wrote:Seems to have been a smallish batch..when I saw that tweet at 5:30 I really thought today was the day. It's now been exactly 6 weeks (had a late interview) since my complete date and 8-9 weeks since they got my application. NU's definitely my top choice and I'll obviously wait as long as it takes if it gets me in (hopefully!) but I can't believe it's the last week of April and I'm still deciding where to go. If NU comes through I'll have no more decisions to make, which is kind of appealing at the end of a long cycle...

long cycle?

Some of use applied in October/November, and have therefore been waiting nearly 6 MONTHS, not weeks (being "held" may be a decision to them, but to us it's not, so I'm still waiting for my decision as far as I'm concerned).

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:27 am

Swamp Monster wrote:No need to get ornery. I applied to NU pretty late, I applied to almost all my other schools with an older (worse) LSAT score, some of which still haven't gotten back to me. I meant my cycle as a whole, not just the Northwestern application.

Not ornery, just sayin'.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:21 am

Does anybody have any idea what the tax implications are for offering up my firstborn? Is this considered a gift?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Does anybody have any idea what the tax implications are for offering up my firstborn? Is this considered a gift?

Under the age of 2, yes. After that you lose the cute credit.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:44 am

2013esq wrote:<--------------- IN TODAY via email!!!!!!!!

No money offered AT ALL. Can I turn down 100k at WUSTL?

No. No you can't.

Please?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:45 am

Response to my tweet:

@SaintClarence27 Hello! We hope to have all remaining initial decisions out within the next two weeks.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks NB and SC, hopefully they appreciate your TOCIs (tweets of continued interest) as much as I do.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Thanks NB and SC, hopefully they appreciate your TOCIs (tweets of continued interest) as much as I do.

I should include my LSAC# in my tweets!

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:04 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:Response to my tweet:

@SaintClarence27 Hello! We hope to have all remaining initial decisions out within the next two weeks.

Thanks man.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:38 pm

this includes decisions for people on hold, yes?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:51 pm

They didn't say, but I think they're talking specifically about initial (read: non-hold/waitlist) decisions only.

DarkwingDick

Postby DarkwingDick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:19 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:

In the hold letter that I got, they said to have LOCIs in by the 26th, which led me to believe that those on hold, at least in my batch, wouldn't be reevaluated until after that date.

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:27 pm

DarkwingDick wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:

In the hold letter that I got, they said to have LOCIs in by the 26th, which led me to believe that those on hold, at least in my batch, wouldn't be reevaluated until after that date.

Interesting... My letter didn't have a date listed--just to have the form in my March 1st. :?

DarkwingDick

Postby DarkwingDick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:56 pm

I applied super late (mid-Feb) and didn't get the hold notification until April 12th.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:58 pm

NU is worth it only if you are willing to work VERY hard in school and plan to sell your soul upon graduation. WUSTL means you probably won't be as successful in biglaw, but with 100K you'll have the flexibility to do something you actually like and live a more balanced life since you won't have the burden of repaying so much debt (if any?).

DarkwingDick

Postby DarkwingDick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Also, does anyone know how you are notified if your hold status changes to admit, deny or waitlist?

Do they upload a new decision letter on the status checker?

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Tweek wrote:

NU is worth it only if you are willing to work VERY hard in school and plan to sell your soul upon graduation. WUSTL means you probably won't be as successful in biglaw, but with 100K you'll have the flexibility to do something you actually like and live a more balanced life since you won't have the burden of repaying so much debt (if any?).

This is truly awful advice.

At WUSTL, you'll have to work harder just to get a job -- standing well behind Northwestern students in line for good Chicago firms -- and you'll still have $80k in loans to pay off.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:20 pm

scribelaw wrote:
Tweek wrote:

At WUSTL, you'll have to work harder just to get a job -- standing well behind Northwestern students in line for good Chicago firms -- and you'll still have $80k in loans to pay off.

Fair counterpoint, however you neglected to READ the fact that I said "WUSTL means you probably won't be as successful in biglaw". Can't find the WUSTL cost of attendance online so I'll go with your figure of $180k, but I did find the NU cost... $72k for the first year? That's well over $200k total, which is more than twice the debt she'd have out of WUSTL with the $100k scholarship. If we were talking NU vs a shit school, then fine. However, WUSTL is by no means a shit school.

If I were in her shoes, I'd take NU (as would you, apparently), but that doesn't make my initial argument any less valid. IMO, you don't need a top biglaw job to manage $80k in debt, but you do need one to manage $215k in debt. Therefore, NU means you NEED to do very well in school and get a top-paying soul-sucking job, whereas WUSTL+100k means you don't necessarily need to get a top-paying soul-sucking job.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Tweek wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Tweek wrote:

Fair counterpoint, however you neglected to READ the fact that I said "WUSTL means you probably won't be as successful in biglaw". Can't find the WUSTL cost of attendance online so I'll go with your figure of $180k, but I did find the NU cost... $72k for the first year? That's well over $200k total, which is more than twice the debt she'd have out of WUSTL with the $100k scholarship. If we were talking NU vs a shit school, then fine. However, WUSTL is by no means a shit school.

If I were in her shoes, I'd take NU (as would you, apparently), but that doesn't make my initial argument any less valid. IMO, you don't need a top biglaw job to manage $80k in debt, but you do need one to manage $215k in debt. Therefore, NU means you NEED to do very well in school and get a top-paying soul-sucking job, whereas WUSTL+100k means you don't necessarily need to get a top-paying soul-sucking job.
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Tweek wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Tweek wrote:

Missouri shit law secure.

turtle1205

Postby turtle1205 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:32 pm

I guess we take that as a no to finishing initial responses by April 30th...

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck to those waiting.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 pm

DarkwingDick wrote:Also, does anyone know how you are notified if your hold status changes to admit, deny or waitlist?

Do they upload a new decision letter on the status checker?

Last year, I was notified via e-mail, and they uploaded a new letter on the status checker.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”