Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Thirteen

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:40 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:If you are on hold and truly want to attend NU, it's never too late to send the "unconditional" LOCI.

what's that?

Tell the admissions committee that NU is far and away your #1 choice, and that you will pay the deposit and withdraw all other applications if admitted.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Thirteen wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:If you are on hold and truly want to attend NU, it's never too late to send the "unconditional" LOCI.

what's that?

Tell the admissions committee that NU is far and away your #1 choice, and that you will pay the deposit and withdraw all other applications if admitted.

oh, i think i kinda did that in my initial LOCI. maybe i'll restate it if i go from hold to waitlist. that, or i'll send muffins.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 pm

I would also couple any such letter with 3 or so specific reasons why NU is unique to you ... what makes them different. This will give any "unconditional" plea significantly more credence.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:For all those on hold, what are you numbers? I know at least a couple of you are splitters. And looking at old LSN data, they waitlist a lot of splitters but take a ton of them off the wait list.

On hold, 177/2.95, 2 years WE (not counting the years during undergrad). Hold ----> Acceptance would be great, but I think Hold ----> Waitlist is more likely. If I get pulled off of the waitlist, I'd still be ecstatic. Pretty sure I read through last year's hold thread, and most of the decisions came in the last two weeks of April. So I figure next week, week after at the latest.

cheesus

Postby cheesus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 pm

I just receive a response regarding hold timeline from NU admissions regarding the an acceptance deadline of April 20 for the other school I am considering.

Dear Cheesus,

Thank you for letting us know about your impending deadline. At this point, we are expecting to release hold decisions around April 30th. I’m sorry that you may have to make your initial deposit slightly before then. Perhaps the other institution will be able to grant an extension to you. If we are able to get you a decision before April 30th, we certainly will – but I wanted to let you know what our timeline was.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 pm

cheesus wrote:I just receive a response regarding hold timeline from NU admissions regarding the an acceptance deadline of April 20 for the other school I am considering.

Dear Cheesus,

Thank you for letting us know about your impending deadline. At this point, we are expecting to release hold decisions around April 30th. I’m sorry that you may have to make your initial deposit slightly before then. Perhaps the other institution will be able to grant an extension to you. If we are able to get you a decision before April 30th, we certainly will – but I wanted to let you know what our timeline was.

the 30th? :cry:

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:09 pm

cheesus wrote:I just receive a response regarding hold timeline from NU admissions regarding the an acceptance deadline of April 20 for the other school I am considering.

Dear Cheesus,

Thanks for the info, Cheesus. At least we know how long we're waiting now.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Dear Cheesus,

Hmm... Does this mean they plan to have decisions for the ppl still initially pending??

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm

I have been complete since Feb 2 and still no work one way or the other. Have other people with that complete date received a decision? I know on the status checker it says you are supposed to have a decision in around 8 weeks. Just tired of waiting...

Is is appropriate to send an e-mail asking how much longer I should expect to wait (in the most courteous tone possible of course)?

apples

Postby apples » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Dear Cheesus,

Is April 30 Northwestern's deposit deadline? Do they extend that deadline for people who they don't give a decision until that day? If not, that's kinda shitty - making us wait this long to get a decision and then giving us less than a day to decide whether or not to accept.

cheesus

Postby cheesus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 pm

apples wrote:

Dear Cheesus,

Is April 30 Northwestern's deposit deadline? Do they extend that deadline for people who they don't give a decision until that day? If not, that's kinda shitty - making us wait this long to get a decision and then giving us less than a day to decide whether or not to accept.

I would assume they would give us some sort of extension.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Dear Cheesus,

wow, so in April meant last day possible in April...oh well, atleast we all know. Let the countdown begin!!

Jrugg88

Postby Jrugg88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 pm

emciosn wrote:I have been complete since Feb 2 and still no work one way or the other. Have other people with that complete date received a decision? I know on the status checker it says you are supposed to have a decision in around 8 weeks. Just tired of waiting...

Is is appropriate to send an e-mail asking how much longer I should expect to wait (in the most courteous tone possible of course)?

I have been complete since 1/25 (so a week earlier). I called a couple of times and was just told "within the next couple of weeks." Finally, I sent an e-mail and included in the e-mail that I have upcoming deposit deadlines (notably April 15th). I was told that my application is "either waiting to be reviewed or is in the midst of being reviewed" and that "hopefully you will hear from us in the near future."

I hope so too... :?

Anyway, doesn't seem like calling or e-mailing accomplishes very much. If anyone else has better luck though, definitely let me know!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:27 pm

emciosn wrote:I have been complete since Feb 2 and still no work one way or the other. Have other people with that complete date received a decision? I know on the status checker it says you are supposed to have a decision in around 8 weeks. Just tired of waiting...

I'm in the same boat (complete 2/4). If you do send an email, I'd be interested in the response too.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 pm

All you people in NU purgatory, I have a proposition.

I'm fresh from the ASW deciding between NU and Georgetown. Knowing where all of your sympathies lie, I want you to convince me why I should pick Gtown over NU.

If you succeed, a spot in the class will open up.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:45 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:All you people in NU purgatory, I have a proposition.

I'm fresh from the ASW deciding between NU and Georgetown. Knowing where all of your sympathies lie, I want you to convince me why I should pick Gtown over NU.

No can do; I'm equally invested in both schools. I think a few of us are. Also, that's not how spaces open up (I mean, it is, but on a macro level that's planned for by the school), but I can see your dilemma. Good schools both.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

No can do; I'm equally invested in both schools. I think a few of us are. Also, that's not how spaces open up (I mean, it is, but on a macro level that's planned for by the school), but I can see your dilemma. Good schools both.

NU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GULC

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:47 pm

IAFG wrote:

NU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GULC

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:50 pm

IAFG wrote:NU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GULC

Shameless boosterism.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Shameless boosterism.

facts is facts

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Unless anyone itt is undecided with $$ on the table from NU. In that case, NU sucks and you shouldn't go there.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

Unless anyone itt is undecided with $$ on the table from NU. In that case, NU sucks and you shouldn't go there.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:02 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

o yeah good point NU is a TTT in decline, GULC has capitol hill and shit

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

o yeah good point NU is a TTT in decline, GULC has capitol hill and shit

I was working one guy in particular pretty hard this weekend because he was offered $135k. Then it was brought to my attention his scholarship was deferred anyway so it couldn't possibly free up money for me. Bummed.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:06 pm

i just realized i know who started this thread. i wonder if he figured out who i am.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”