Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Join a political campaign.

Get a real job.

Tend bar.

If you parents are rich, travel.

I'd kill 18 babies to have that deal.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 pm

I was going to say join a campaign. It won't pay well, but it can be an interesting and exciting experience. And then you'll be free after November to do whatever you want.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd kill 18 babies to have that deal.

I'd kill 17. 18? Too steep.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:32 pm

D-hops wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
swimbrad wrote:135k if I defer until next year

didn't submit any essays, nor needaccess/fafsa and didn't interview

hth

I'm guessing you have high numbers but no work experience, right? Assuming that's the case, they want you to defer so that you get work experience. Hth.

It looks like everyone on LSN that got the scholarship money is currently in undergrad.

Right, NU offers huge scholarships to college seniors, if they agree to defer a year to get full-time WE.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:52 pm

im_blue wrote:
D-hops wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
swimbrad wrote:135k if I defer until next year

didn't submit any essays, nor needaccess/fafsa and didn't interview

hth

I'm guessing you have high numbers but no work experience, right? Assuming that's the case, they want you to defer so that you get work experience. Hth.

It looks like everyone on LSN that got the scholarship money is currently in undergrad.

Right, NU offers huge scholarships to college seniors, if they agree to defer a year to get full-time WE.

But they have to have stellar numbers. No splitters for this particular offer.

thisiswater1488

Postby thisiswater1488 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the input, all! I do realize that this is an opportunity that lots of people would kill for. (Babies, even.) It's just a little intimidating to think about job hunting/etc. when I've spent every ounce of thought for the last 2+ years focused on law school. I think I'll try to get a job. I'd love to have rich parents and travel, but such is life. I'm sure I'll figure out something contstructive to do.

Anyone out there who took the deferral care to share what they did in their off year?

bananasinpajamas

Postby bananasinpajamas » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Northwestern pick me next please!

-Thanks. :P

I'll bring girlscout cookies!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 pm

thisiswater1488 wrote:Thanks for the input, all! I do realize that this is an opportunity that lots of people would kill for. (Babies, even.) It's just a little intimidating to think about job hunting/etc. when I've spent every ounce of thought for the last 2+ years focused on law school. I think I'll try to get a job. I'd love to have rich parents and travel, but such is life. I'm sure I'll figure out something contstructive to do.

Anyone out there who took the deferral care to share what they did in their off year?

To play devil's advocate, I think you should seriously consider the Chicago with $45k offer as well, especially if you don't have a decent job lined up for the year off.

thisiswater1488

Postby thisiswater1488 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:48 am

im_blue wrote:
thisiswater1488 wrote:Thanks for the input, all! I do realize that this is an opportunity that lots of people would kill for. (Babies, even.) It's just a little intimidating to think about job hunting/etc. when I've spent every ounce of thought for the last 2+ years focused on law school. I think I'll try to get a job. I'd love to have rich parents and travel, but such is life. I'm sure I'll figure out something contstructive to do.

To play devil's advocate, I think you should seriously consider the Chicago with $45k offer as well, especially if you don't have a decent job lined up for the year off.

I am still considering it! I'm definitely going to the ASW. We'll see what happens.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

wondering what "hold" means. NU tells you in new blog post: --LinkRemoved--

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:37 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:wondering what "hold" means. NU tells you in new blog post: --LinkRemoved--

extremely unhelpful as someone that had already completed those steps. it just made me feel like i'm "not pretty enough" but i have a "great personality".

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:12 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:wondering what "hold" means. NU tells you in new blog post: --LinkRemoved--

The only thing I can say is that it's a really common thing (or, at least, last year it was). I know many 1Ls (including me) who were on hold at one point or another before getting admitted.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:51 am

hmlee wrote:

The only thing I can say is that it's a really common thing (or, at least, last year it was). I know many 1Ls (including me) who were on hold at one point or another before getting admitted.

i hope i'm in that number this year, hmlee. any idea how many people (or what percentage) they admitted from the hold list last year.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:12 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
hmlee wrote:

i hope i'm in that number this year, hmlee. any idea how many people (or what percentage) they admitted from the hold list last year.

Unfortunately I don't have exact numbers (or anything close) it's really just anecdotal on my part.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:29 am

hmlee wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:
hmlee wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have exact numbers (or anything close) it's really just anecdotal on my part.

Seriously reassuring, though. When I called admissions way back when (Feb) they told me they almost definitely wouldn't be considering anyone on hold until April. Has anyone heard anything yet? I had to stop checking this thread after NU broke my heart.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 pm

roundabout wrote:
hmlee wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:
hmlee wrote:

Seriously reassuring, though. When I called admissions way back when (Feb) they told me they almost definitely wouldn't be considering anyone on hold until April. Has anyone heard anything yet? I had to stop checking this thread after NU broke my heart.

That pretty much conforms to last year. I was placed on hold at the end of March, sent LOCI, and accepted two and a half weeks later. By then it was the third week of April, and they had been admitting / rejecting people out of the hold pool all month. Shortly after I got in, they took the hold list and either waitlisted or rejected everyone else on it.

bdemon

Postby bdemon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 pm

hmlee wrote:
That pretty much conforms to last year. I was placed on hold at the end of March, sent LOCI, and accepted two and a half weeks later. By then it was the third week of April, and they had been admitting / rejecting people out of the hold pool all month. Shortly after I got in, they took the hold list and either waitlisted or rejected everyone else on it.

I had a very similar experience. I was on hold sometime in March. I interviewed in early April, and was accepted a couple weeks later. I was able to get some scholarship money, also, so a Hold is not a kiss of death at all.

AdmitMePls

Postby AdmitMePls » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

I have to say, Northwestern sends me the most emails of any school I've been admitted to...and they are all very useful and well put-together. Props to the admissions office.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:07 pm

bdemon wrote:
hmlee wrote:

I had a very similar experience. I was on hold sometime in March. I interviewed in early April, and was accepted a couple weeks later. I was able to get some scholarship money, also, so a Hold is not a kiss of death at all.

Interesting, so it looks like we should start seeing some movement for us "held" folks in 2-3 weeks? I should get to work on my LOCI!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:32 pm

AdmitMePls wrote:I have to say, Northwestern sends me the most emails of any school I've been admitted to...and they are all very useful and well put-together. Props to the admissions office.

Go to Northwestern, Oprah lives near us.

eiluj39

Postby eiluj39 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:46 pm

first post here - :)
just got my acceptance letter via e-mail. completed 12/15. whew waited a long time for this! :D

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 pm

eiluj39 wrote:first post here - :)
just got my acceptance letter via e-mail. completed 12/15. whew waited a long time for this! :D

Contrats!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 pm

They are really committed to the lie that a hold is a decision.

Here's the situation. You've applied, you've received a decision and you are now wondering what on earth "Hold" means. Trust me, you are not alone.

apples

Postby apples » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:51 pm

has anyone from the first round of held applications in early february heard anything?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:39 pm

apples wrote:has anyone from the first round of held applications in early february heard anything?

I haven't, but after reading that blog, I'm wondering if they received my form/LOCI. I emailed it a couple of weeks ago now and never received a confirmation. Did everyone else receive a confirmation? Or should I just call on Monday to confirm it's there/resend if necessary?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”