Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dancinginseptember

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby dancinginseptember » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Held today as well. I need to let them know if I would like to stay on hold by April 1. Should I think of this as being placed on a waitlist?

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Wow, I was offered the deferred full ride today. I'm really happy. I now have at least one amazing option this cycle. This is wonderful. Good luck, everybody. If you want more details, the letter (it came by email) said that I had to defer for a year, and that work experience would be preferred, but not explicitly required. I have until April 30th to put the $750 deposit down. Unlike Georgetown, the letter didn't say that I would have to withdraw all my applications from other schools by then if I accepted, so this is fantastic. Was expecting another yield protection waitlist.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:getting into northwestern is a pyrrhic victory.

hth

Seriously? :roll:

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:15 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Wow, I was offered the deferred full ride today. I'm really happy. I now have at least one amazing option this cycle. This is wonderful. Good luck, everybody. If you want more details, the letter (it came by email) said that I had to defer for a year, and that work experience would be preferred, but not explicitly required. I have until April 30th to put the $750 deposit down. Unlike Georgetown, the letter didn't say that I would have to withdraw all my applications from other schools by then if I accepted, so this is fantastic. Was expecting another yield protection waitlist.

How the hell did you get rejected at Michigan and Texas?

This is a huge win for you.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
swimbrad wrote:135k if I defer until next year

didn't submit any essays, nor needaccess/fafsa and didn't interview

hth

I'm guessing you have high numbers but no work experience, right? Assuming that's the case, they want you to defer so that you get work experience. Hth.

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:getting into northwestern is a pyrrhic victory.

hth

NB - hey, it's grad school - but yra, pretty much
APNS - fee waiver ftw/l? --> I'd prly go to U of C first fwiw

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Wow, I was offered the deferred full ride today. I'm really happy. I now have at least one amazing option this cycle. This is wonderful. Good luck, everybody. If you want more details, the letter (it came by email) said that I had to defer for a year, and that work experience would be preferred, but not explicitly required. I have until April 30th to put the $750 deposit down. Unlike Georgetown, the letter didn't say that I would have to withdraw all my applications from other schools by then if I accepted, so this is fantastic. Was expecting another yield protection waitlist.

Hahaha, seriously. It's now completely clear that my rejections and waitlists have been yield protection and my application isn't as repulsive as I was worried about.

Also to be even clearer about the scholarship details, they require no proof of what work I did prior to matriculation, so I can do whatever I want for a year (though I do plan to work in politics or something).

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:21 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Hahaha, seriously. It's now completely clear that my rejections and waitlists have been yield protection and my application isn't as repulsive as I was worried about.

Also to be even clearer about the scholarship details, they require no proof of what work I did prior to matriculation, so I can do whatever I want for a year (though I do plan to work in politics or something).

I was considering drinking/heavy drug use... but either way

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:26 pm

swimbrad wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I was considering drinking/heavy drug use... but either way

Same difference I thought. It is a perfect time to join a campaign. If I had that offer, I'd do it.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

KidLogarithm wrote:
eas331 wrote:
evergirl23 wrote:
Edit: On another note, will I receive an email confirming receipt of my scholarship essays/supplemental form?

Yes, you should get confirmation within a couple days of submitting everything.

I've received all sorts of emails, but nothing confirming receipt of my scholarship essay. Submitted March 1st.

Anyone else?

Same here. I haven't received any kind of confirmation on the financial application.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 am

Just got in via email.

165/174 3.64 applied mid December, interview mid January, UR date changed a bunch of times. yay!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:51 am

Congrats!

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:03 pm

thank you!

What's the consensus on scholarships or aid for students admitted after the March 1 deadline? My FAFSA is in, but parents just got their taxes done so I'll be doing the need access this weekend. Will I be shut out?

edit: I see on the admitted students site that I have 5 days. sorry for the uninformed question.
Last edited by chutzpah on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:04 pm

chutzpah wrote:Just got in via email.

165/174 3.64 applied mid December, interview mid January, UR date changed a bunch of times. yay!

Congratulations!

Is there a separate status for "under review"? Mine just has a "complete" date on the checker.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:07 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Just got in via email.

Congratulations!

Is there a separate status for "under review"? Mine just has a "complete" date on the checker.

oh, i think thats what i meant. my complete date changed from december something to january to february...

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:14 pm

chutzpah wrote:thank you!

What's the consensus on scholarships or aid for students admitted after the March 1 deadline? My FAFSA is in, but parents just got their taxes done so I'll be doing the need access this weekend. Will I be shut out?

edit: I see on the admitted students site that I have 5 days. sorry for the uninformed question.

I am pretty sure that you don't need your parents information for Northwestern's Need Access application. If you are filling it out for other schools they may ask you for it, but not for NU's part.

And congrats!

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:17 pm

D-hops wrote:

I am pretty sure that you don't need your parents information for Northwestern's Need Access application. If you are filling it out for other schools they may ask you for it, but not for NU's part.

And congrats!

This is correct. I did it anyways though, so we'll see.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:35 pm

i sent in my application materials back in december, but i wasn't able to do the on-campus interview until mid-february (in december / january it's impossible to get time off from my job). so, my application wasn't complete until the end of february. does anyone know if i will really be waiting until late april to receive a reply? or does the fact that my application was basically complete six weeks before my interview mean that it might not take that long?

ilovelamp18

Postby ilovelamp18 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:35 pm

In via email! Applied mid-January

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Also in via email. Applied around 1/1, didn't do the interview, but I have lots of work experience.

After a string of WLs from GULC, UVa and Boalt this is nice.

Edit: BTW, the Northwestern status checker is rather useless. It still just has my early Jan. complete date, nothing about being under review, decision rendered, acceptance. Wish I'd known that it would be a lagging indicator during these past two months of daily checking.
Last edited by existenz on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:42 pm

In via email. Had been UR since 12/1 fwiw.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:34 pm

D-hops wrote:

And congrats!

Northwestern considers all of its students to be independent, so there is no need for parental information. Most painless financial aid application I had to do.

thisiswater1488

Postby thisiswater1488 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:49 pm

In with a deferral scholarship! (currently in UG)

So excited!! What the hell should I do for a year?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 pm

thisiswater1488 wrote:In with a deferral scholarship! (currently in UG)

Enroll at the University of Chicago?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Dignan wrote:

i lol'd

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
Dignan wrote:

i lol'd

I think the whole point is they wanted something that was not akin to torture to do during the next year...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”