Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Whelp, I slept on it, and because I don't think NW can pull me from my current options, even with a significant scholarship, I'm gonna withdraw. Hope that helps someone out in the next wave :)

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:Whelp, I slept on it, and because I don't think NW can pull me from my current options, even with a significant scholarship, I'm gonna withdraw. Hope that helps someone out in the next wave :)

Thanks, Kretz. Maybe they'll take a chance on me ;)

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 pm

violaboy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Whelp, I slept on it, and because I don't think NW can pull me from my current options, even with a significant scholarship, I'm gonna withdraw. Hope that helps someone out in the next wave :)

I'd be honestly surprised if they didn't.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:51 pm

MF248 wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:
violaboy wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:
it's a chilly 55 where i am and i'm so looking foward to 66 on saturday.

EE! This is what scares me. Northwestern = PERFECT. Chicago weather = not so much (particularly after living through the insanity of DC's snow this month).

Seriously though, is the winter really as bad as people say it is, for those not really used to the cold?

I don't think it's that bad, but I've also lived here my entire life (minus the four years in Illinois cornfields). When & it's cold & windy, that's when you'll feel it. I don't think snow is that bad compared to the east coast.

MF, what year did you graduate UIUC?

'09. You?

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:

I'd be honestly surprised if they didn't.

We'll see. I don't have post-ugrad work experience, but I've worked full time for the past two years and did a 2 year LDS mission. They said that they'd take it into account when I was at my interview, so we'll see.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:04 pm

MF248 wrote:
MF248 wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:
violaboy wrote:

EE! This is what scares me. Northwestern = PERFECT. Chicago weather = not so much (particularly after living through the insanity of DC's snow this month).

Seriously though, is the winter really as bad as people say it is, for those not really used to the cold?

I don't think it's that bad, but I've also lived here my entire life (minus the four years in Illinois cornfields). When & it's cold & windy, that's when you'll feel it. I don't think snow is that bad compared to the east coast.

'09. You?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:07 pm

dontstopbelivin wrote:

It depends on you. I've lived here all my life and I still loathe it with every ounce of my being. Chicago basically has crappy weather all year long. It's a great city in the summer but it's muggy and there are mosquitos everywhere.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 pm

los blancos wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:

It depends on you. I've lived here all my life and I still loathe it with every ounce of my being. Chicago basically has crappy weather all year long. It's a great city in the summer but it's muggy and there are mosquitos everywhere.

wait, wha? :(

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
los blancos wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:

wait, wha? :(

It does get muggy and all, but it's a great place still!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Despite the humidity, Chicago summers are fabulous and they make it worth living through Chicago winters.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Despite the humidity, Chicago summers are fabulous and they make it worth living through Chicago winters.

hope this isn't too silly a question, but what are fall and spring like? pleasant? cold? jacket weather? coat weather? shorts weather?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:41 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Despite the humidity, Chicago summers are fabulous and they make it worth living through Chicago winters.

hope this isn't too silly a question, but what are fall and spring like? pleasant? cold? jacket weather? coat weather? shorts weather?

Beautiful and all too brief.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:43 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:

Spring is rainy, but Sept and half of October is amazing.

poprox

Postby poprox » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:49 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:

Short and mostly pleasant - think jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. Occassionally you'll need a light coat or raincoat. Re the humidity, for someone from St Louis, I don't ever notice the humidity in Chicago during the summer. I think for anyone who lives in STL or points further south/east, humidity will be a non-issue. It's all relative. For me, Jan and Feb in Chicago feel absolutely brutal, and I try to stay inside as much as possible when I visit. That'll probably help with your spring semester grades though! It's good motivation to hit the library :lol:

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:55 pm

poprox wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:

Short and mostly pleasant - think jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. Occassionally you'll need a light coat or raincoat. Re the humidity, for someone from St Louis, I don't ever notice the humidity in Chicago during the summer. I think for anyone who lives in STL or points further south/east, humidity will be a non-issue. It's all relative. For me, Jan and Feb in Chicago feel absolutely brutal, and I try to stay inside as much as possible when I visit. That'll probably help with your spring semester grades though! It's good motivation to hit the library :lol:

i'm from new orleans, so i'm ok with humidity and rain (even if it leads to the occassional flood). the cold, though: brrrrrrrr.
but, i'd take NU in a heartbeat, lurking adcomms. it's my no. 1. love me back! :D

poprox

Postby poprox » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:03 pm

MirandaHobbes wrote:
poprox wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:

i'm from new orleans, so i'm ok with humidity and rain (even if it leads to the occassional flood). the cold, though: brrrrrrrr.
but, i'd take NU in a heartbeat, lurking adcomms. it's my no. 1. love me back! :D

I hope they do show you some love! They're my no. 1 as well. I'm thrilled to be in, but really wary of the weather (no joke). I'd much prefer Durham or Nashville, cost of living and weather-wise. At the same time, Chicago is an AWESOME city (can't emphasize that enough) with a lot to offer. Decisions, decisions.

tarvis79

Postby tarvis79 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:25 pm

To whoever asked, I have 2 years work experience (in the lab at a hospital, of all places) and interviewed way back on 12/15.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 pm

los blancos wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:

You have never experienced a summer then in Houston, D.C., or anywhere in FL then?

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:50 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
los blancos wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:

You have never experienced a summer then in Houston, D.C., or anywhere in FL then?

I've lived in Houston too. Houston's humidity is worse than Chicago's.

jfonz

Postby jfonz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm

"A heads up for our Twitter followers - when decisions for those on hold begin to go out, we'll denote Hold, not JD, in our updates."

Foreshadowing for today? or too soon?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 pm

jfonz wrote:"A heads up for our Twitter followers - when decisions for those on hold begin to go out, we'll denote Hold, not JD, in our updates."

Foreshadowing for today? or too soon?

Sounds like foreshadowing that it won't be soon.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:09 pm

MF248 wrote:
MF248 wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:
violaboy wrote:

'09. You?

What type of engineering did you study again?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:10 pm

MF248 wrote:
MF248 wrote:
MF248 wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:

'09. You?

What type of engineering did you study again?

Electrical.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm

no decisions yet? looks like this might be the first friday in a month that we haven't received decisions on a friday?

edit: scratch that. doesn't apply to me, but nu tweets

A small batch of decisions are going out today for the LLM in Taxation Program. Be sure to check your email!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Assuming the random FedEx tracking number that was texted to me is from Northwestern, since the package originated in Chicago. Was extremely confused at first when I got a text from FedEx in French. haha

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”