Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby booboo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:42 pm

roundabout wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:JD application deadline extended until 03/01. Doesn't make me feel great about my chances at this point...

http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions


Srsly? Why would they do this?


Some of the lower T14 is going to see a dramatic increase in applications. This means more rejections, increasing a school's selectivity. Seeing how they are tied for 10th, it could easily play out that they drop rank because they did not have as large of an increase in applications.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby beef wellington » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 pm

booboo wrote:
roundabout wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:JD application deadline extended until 03/01. Doesn't make me feel great about my chances at this point...

http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions


Srsly? Why would they do this?


Some of the lower T14 is going to see a dramatic increase in applications. This means more rejections, increasing a school's selectivity. Seeing how they are tied for 10th, it could easily play out that they drop rank because they did not have as large of an increase in applications.

Is selectivity one of the factors in USNWR? I thought it was just yield.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:01 pm

beef wellington wrote:
booboo wrote:
roundabout wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:JD application deadline extended until 03/01. Doesn't make me feel great about my chances at this point...

http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions


Srsly? Why would they do this?


Some of the lower T14 is going to see a dramatic increase in applications. This means more rejections, increasing a school's selectivity. Seeing how they are tied for 10th, it could easily play out that they drop rank because they did not have as large of an increase in applications.

Is selectivity one of the factors in USNWR? I thought it was just yield.


Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2008 entering class.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2008 entering class.

Yep. This is why some schools--most notably Columbia, Penn, and Virginia--like to give out application fee waivers to those who have no chance of getting in.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Dignan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2008 entering class.

Yep. This is why some schools--most notably Columbia, Penn, and Virginia--like to give out application fee waivers to those who have no chance of getting in.


I'm surprised Virgina's AR is so high after all their YPing. Must be their location, they probably lose a lot of cross admit battles.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2008 entering class.

Yep. This is why some schools--most notably Columbia, Penn, and Virginia--like to give out application fee waivers to those who have no chance of getting in.


I'm surprised Virgina's AR is so high after all their YPing. Must be their location, they probably lose a lot of cross admit battles.

But losing cross-admit battles would affect their yield, not their AR.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Dignan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2008 entering class.

Yep. This is why some schools--most notably Columbia, Penn, and Virginia--like to give out application fee waivers to those who have no chance of getting in.


I'm surprised Virgina's AR is so high after all their YPing. Must be their location, they probably lose a lot of cross admit battles.

But losing cross-admit battles would affect their yield, not their AR.


Both. If you lose cross admit battles you have to accept more people to fill those spots.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Dignan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Yep. This is why some schools--most notably Columbia, Penn, and Virginia--like to give out application fee waivers to those who have no chance of getting in.


I'm surprised Virgina's AR is so high after all their YPing. Must be their location, they probably lose a lot of cross admit battles.

But losing cross-admit battles would affect their yield, not their AR.


Both. If you lose cross admit battles you have to accept more people to fill those spots.

Good point.

kevdadude
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:40 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby kevdadude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 pm

My complete date just got updated from 1/18 to 2/15. Don't know whether it means anything. Anybody have an idea?

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby fl0w » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 pm

kevdadude wrote:My complete date just got updated from 1/18 to 2/15. Don't know whether it means anything. Anybody have an idea?


means you are getting "hold" notice.

kevdadude
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:40 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby kevdadude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Ah, was kinda expecting it. Thanks.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby fl0w » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 pm

kevdadude wrote:Ah, was kinda expecting it. Thanks.


I was being a jerk. I really don't know what it means. but now you're ok with such an outcome, so something good came of this.

kevdadude
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:40 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby kevdadude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:02 am

haha, no worries bro. We're all in the same boat. Glad to know it's not necessarily a hold though.

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby hmlee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 am

beef wellington wrote:
daviddel03 wrote:sorry if this was discussed previously, but is being on "hold" different/better than being "waitlisted"?

Being on hold means you have to wait three months to find out you're waitlisted. Seriously, to me, it's pretty much semantics.


Last year, I was accepted two weeks after being placed on hold. It's not a guarantee of rejection or waitlisting... A good chunk of the people I know here were also held at some point before getting accepted.

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby hmlee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 am

roundabout wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:JD application deadline extended until 03/01. Doesn't make me feel great about my chances at this point...

http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions


Srsly? Why would they do this?


They did it last year too. Until I think March 15th. No big deal.

rideaway
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby rideaway » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:10 pm

I've never been a big poster on these forums - generally someone has already posted any information I might be looking for - but I did have one question I could use some input on. Northwestern is my first choice and I submitted my application (and was complete) back on 11/5/09. My numbers are 167/2.96 (Non-URM), making me a long shot I know, but there are some other elements in my application that I have to imagine will be well received by the committee (i.e. I have 6 years real-world experience post-undergrad including a book on international relations I authored that was published by St. Martin's Press and used in several grad school programs, a non-profit organization I founded, and oddly enough, an alt-rock band I started and led to a major label record deal).

Combined with a GPA-addendum, I've had some unexpected results so far this cycle but have yet to hear anything from Northwestern. To come to the point: it seems as though other schools have been willing to swallow my subpar GPA in light of my other qualifications (i.e. UCAL, BC, BU, all of which I was sure would reject me), but obviously my LSAT score is also well below NW's median. If I thought I could get my LSAT up to a 170+ on a June retake, would it be worth writing to the admissions committee expressing that possibility?

And will it be too late to propose such a strategy if I wait until a possible rejection letter arrives (I can't imagine it will be much longer before some decision is rendered with my application date)?

Any advice would be VERY much appreciated - feel free to PM me if you have some insight on this.

Thanks, and I hope this isn't a bother...

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby beef wellington » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 pm

I'd talk to the adcomms ad find out if they'll wait till June. If so you wouldn't have much to lose since without the retake your best case scenario at that point would probably be riding the waitlist anyway.

Congrats on those other acceptances. Did you mean to say UCLA? If so, wow.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Dignan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm

New tweet:

"Decisions today for the JD, LLM, LLM in International Human Rights and LLM/Kellogg Programs. Check your email!!"

jfonz
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby jfonz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Anyone?

dnesto01
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby dnesto01 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Do the tweets come out before or after the emails are already sent?

User avatar
MirandaHobbes
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby MirandaHobbes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:21 pm

nothing for me. :(

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Dinged. Complete 12/29, 25% numbers and no w/e. Good luck everyone.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Dignan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Looks like this is going to be a Wednesday-ding/Thursday-hold/Friday-accept week.

Wingdw
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Wingdw » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Also Dinged today, also 25% numbers, approximately.

Ah well, always knew it was a long shot. I'm happy with my Fordham acceptance.

User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Dignan wrote:Looks like this is going to be a Wednesday-ding/Thursday-hold/Friday-accept week.


Here's to spending the next hour barfing everytime I get a new email. Anyone else feel like drinking heavily and avoiding computers for awhile? Unfortunately I'm ni no position to do either...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, Beercules, carlos_danger, Cognitiveproblem, Ithinkican, lillawyer2, Nobiggie, proteinshake, Snowjon, xnsch and 19 guests