Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lieut Kaffee

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:Out of curiosity, did many of you write a NW specific PS, or just send the one you sent everyone else with a 'Why NW' addendum?

I did neither, actually.

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:27 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
Vegas_Rebel wrote:Out of curiosity, did many of you write a NW specific PS, or just send the one you sent everyone else with a 'Why NW' addendum?

I did neither, actually.

If I had your LSAT, I wouldn't have either

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:28 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
crackberry wrote:
lietx3 wrote:Had my interview last night. If you've ever been on an interview with behavioral based questions (example: Tell me a weakness, Tell me about yourself, what is your leadership style...e.t.c) it was exactly like that. Mine lasted about an hour, met up at a coffee place. Good luck everyone!

Those are garbage questions. That's disappointing.

Mine was much better.

Yeah, mine was really informal but she did toss a couple of those behavioral questions in. I definitely got the impression that the purpose of the interview was more to sell the school and make sure you don't look like Gollum, though.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:30 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

I did neither, actually.

+1.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:34 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

I did neither, actually.

+1.

I'm guessing this means you just sent in the same stuff you sent elsewhere? Generic PS and such?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Not that I'm advocating that strategy. I've already been waitlisted at Duke after sending a generic package. I'm starting to think maybe the only application I approached with due diligence was my ED application.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Generic PS with a separate Why NU.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:54 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Not that I'm advocating that strategy. I've already been waitlisted at Duke after sending a generic package. I'm starting to think maybe the only application I approached with due diligence was my ED application.

No doubt, just trying to gauge how much I want NW.

Great tar btw.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Sent regular PS, but wrote both optional statements re Why NU and diversity/background. Applied ED.

I had a good interview and it felt like they could get some important insights through the process. Could it be because mine was on-campus? My off-campus interview for GULC was way less formal and I'm not sure it will help them as much (though it was still easily worth my time).

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

I did neither, actually.

+1.

I'm guessing this means you just sent in the same stuff you sent elsewhere? Generic PS and such?

Yep, generic PS and no optional essays. I assumed that going through the trouble of driving an hour and a half to interview would be enough of a sign that I'm interested, but I suppose we'll find out.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:33 pm

PS was tailored to NU.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:34 pm

NayBoer wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:Shit. This is unnerving.
Sorry, I should probably hold my pessimism to myself.

At least you won't wait forever. Some ED people in the Georgetown thread have been complete for a month and aren't even under review yet.

It's okay. It just made me realize how soon my fate would be rendered. Really really hoping.
Last edited by SpaceDawg on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:38 pm

as a current NU student, I find it funny to see that out of all the T14 threads, this seems to be one of the shorter ones, if not the shortest

Good luck to you who are applying!
I worked at the law school over the summer and I gotta say the location is absolutely stunning- right on the lake and during the summer, it's so beautiful- the beach is in your backyard!

I would never apply to NU because working there reminded me too much of , well, NU :)
Also, be aware that NU is very much one of those schools that plays the rankings, something I know from inside sources. In fact, NU dean was the only one out of all top schools to not sign an open letter condemning the US News Ranking, because NU had moved up a couple of spots that year :)
Oh well, that's Dean van Zandt.

I'm sure those of you that decide to attend will have a good time though, the school's location is terrific and facilities and profs and clinics are amazing. Students are generally friendly and down to earth!! Plus, NU pretty much guarantees to employ you at one of their clinics if you can't find work , I believe 6-9 months after graduation, which is super awesome I think

Good luck!
SanBun

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:47 pm

SanBun wrote:as a current NU student, I find it funny to see that out of all the T14 threads, this seems to be one of the shorter ones, if not the shortest

For whatever reason, Stanford and Yale are both shorter. Maybe because no one knows anything about how those schools' admissions processes work and because they won't be rendering their decisions until a while from now.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Does anyone here know how long after the interview, that files go complete? It has been almost 3 weeks for me.

Never mind the page before this one stated around 2 weeks... wonder what's taking so long for myself...

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:59 pm

finalaspects wrote:Does anyone here know how long after the interview, that files go complete? It has been almost 3 weeks for me.

Never mind the page before this one stated around 2 weeks... wonder what's taking so long for myself...

Mine happened in three days. I think it depends on how on the ball the interviewer is.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:02 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:Does anyone here know how long after the interview, that files go complete? It has been almost 3 weeks for me.

Mine happened in three days. I think it depends on how on the ball the interviewer is.

sigh... was yours an off campus interview? and is it not unfair how these interviewers are all random on how they may approach these things and whether or not they even care?

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:06 pm

finalaspects wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:

sigh... was yours an off campus interview? and is it not unfair how these interviewers are all random on how they may approach these things and whether or not they even care?

Mine was in Buffalo. My interviewer has done it for 13 years so I think he has done it long enough to know that candidates want the stuff in as soon as possible. Really cool guy too. He is a real estate lawyer and part time ski instructor.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:24 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:

This. Mine went complete the day after my interview.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Generic PS, and I submitted two short paragraphs for the optional "Why NW?" question.

ColumbiaGirl1984

Postby ColumbiaGirl1984 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 pm

OK i have a question for everyone. I submitted my application a week ago and according to LSAC.org, they still haven't even requested my law school report!! did anyone else have this happen?
For all my other schools, they requested it like the next day, why is it still not requested by NU? NU still appears in my "active schools" list.
I just noticed that now because like a nerd I decided I am going to apply to more schools tonight on a Saturday night...
is it because i still haven't had my interview (which will occur next weekend?)

ColumbiaGirl1984

Postby ColumbiaGirl1984 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:53 am

ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:OK i have a question for everyone. I submitted my application a week ago and according to LSAC.org, they still haven't even requested my law school report!! did anyone else have this happen?
For all my other schools, they requested it like the next day, why is it still not requested by NU? NU still appears in my "active schools" list.
I just noticed that now because like a nerd I decided I am going to apply to more schools tonight on a Saturday night...
is it because i still haven't had my interview (which will occur next weekend?)

wow, why is this board so dead?? no love for NU?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:55 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
crackberry wrote:
lietx3 wrote:Had my interview last night. If you've ever been on an interview with behavioral based questions (example: Tell me a weakness, Tell me about yourself, what is your leadership style...e.t.c) it was exactly like that. Mine lasted about an hour, met up at a coffee place. Good luck everyone!

Those are garbage questions. That's disappointing.

Mine was much better.

Yeah, mine was really informal but she did toss a couple of those behavioral questions in. I definitely got the impression that the purpose of the interview was more to sell the school and make sure you don't look like Gollum, though.

Pretty much what my interviewer flat out said - some version of, 'We're just checking to make sure you're a normal person (read someone who I'd be ok taking a class with/hanging out with.' And yes, the sell.
Last edited by ruleser on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:56 am

Nothing's happened yet :P

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 pm

went "complete" today after a follow up email.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”