Northwestern 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legalnoeagle

Re: Northwestern 2010

Postby legalnoeagle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:32 pm

I imagine it signifies that someone on the committee is now reviewing the application. Based off some previous responses in this thread, it could happen a few more times before a decision is rendered.

zoey15

Postby zoey15 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:I imagine it signifies that someone on the committee is now reviewing the application. Based off some previous responses in this thread, it could happen a few more times before a decision is rendered.

thank you!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:52 pm

My completion date is still 11/2...whats the deal with that? I should have a decision by the end of this week.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 pm

anybody else shocked no decisions today? Guess that means either really good or really bad news for everybody tomorrow...

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Shellbelle wrote:anybody else shocked no decisions today? Guess that means either really good or really bad news for everybody tomorrow...

My guess is that yesterday's fiasco delayed things a bit

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Shellbelle wrote:anybody else shocked no decisions today? Guess that means either really good or really bad news for everybody tomorrow...

Normally I'm a fan of just wanting to find out regardless of the decision, but for tomorrow I really hope it's either good news or no news for me - with the time difference, I will be well into my Friday night by the time decisions go out, and (unlike my UVA rejection today) a Northwestern rejection would seriously upset me. Maybe I should leave the iPhone at home for the night. :)

roxj

Postby roxj » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm sensing a held e-mail coming my way. Then again, that's probably optimistic, because with my numbers and no WE I'm super screwed. In fact, I think I just jinxed myself into a rejection. OH WELL.

Complete 10/2, and dying to be accepted. In at Chicago, but I prefer NW.

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:16 pm

I've always known NU was my top choice, but thought other t-14 acceptances took the shine off a bit... but watching others get accepted while I'm still waiting and feeling more borderline than ever is sooo gut wrenching. :oops: And then they had to go and sucker punch us with that awesome new LRAP. pleeease NU, make our weekend awesome tomorrow!

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Hrmmm. Well, I hope tomorrow is a good day.

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 pm

roxj wrote:I'm sensing a held e-mail coming my way. Then again, that's probably optimistic, because with my numbers and no WE I'm super screwed. In fact, I think I just jinxed myself into a rejection. OH WELL.

Complete 10/2, and dying to be accepted. In at Chicago, but I prefer NW.

Oh c'mon! You were accepted to UChicago :) Things will be fine, and if not, you have NU's competition to attend. It's people like me who have to worry... not even "complete" yet... whyyyy?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:04 am

So assuming decisions go out today, I wonder if they will be acceptances or rejections. Normally I would think acceptances since it's Friday, but nothing else going out this week thew me off a bit...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:11 am

Last edited by beef wellington on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 am

Yeah, I'm wondering if they did lose a day because of that. I hope they don't send out rejections today - rejections on a Friday night would just be mean! (I think at the moment Northwestern is my top choice.)

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 am

Beatrice wrote:Yeah, I'm wondering if they did lose a day because of that. I hope they don't send out rejections today - rejections on a Friday night would just be mean! (I think at the moment Northwestern is my top choice.)

As something to discuss during the waiting: a lot of people agree with the above, and I'd be interested in hearing what everyone's reasons are for ranking NU as #1. Is it Chicago? The abundance of gray-haired career changers (like me)? Death penalty work? An affinity for the shops at Water Tower? Other thoughts?

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:18 am

mayosmith wrote:
Beatrice wrote:Yeah, I'm wondering if they did lose a day because of that. I hope they don't send out rejections today - rejections on a Friday night would just be mean! (I think at the moment Northwestern is my top choice.)

As something to discuss during the waiting: a lot of people agree with the above, and I'd be interested in hearing what everyone's reasons are for ranking NU as #1. Is it Chicago? The abundance of gray-haired career changers (like me)? Death penalty work? An affinity for the shops at Water Tower? Other thoughts?

i'm not quite gray-haired. but i am a career changer (6 years WE, 8 years out of UG). nu's "mature" study body is definitely one of the things that appeals to me. i'm slightly terrified of going back to school after so much time off, but i think i'd find comfort in knowing that there were other "seasoned" people around. chicago is also a big draw. but nu is at the tippy top of my list because of its jd/phd program.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:23 am

MirandaHobbes wrote:i'm not quite gray-haired. but i am a career changer (6 years WE, 8 years out of UG). nu's "mature" study body is definitely one of the things that appeals to me. i'm slightly terrified of going back to school after so much time off, but i think i'd find comfort in knowing that there were other "seasoned" people around. chicago is also a big draw. but nu is at the tippy top of my list because of its jd/phd program.

Are you at all worried about spending the extra time doing the phd? Also what phd program are you looking into? I'd love to at least get an MA (in either philosophy or economics) but I struggle about whether or not spending the extra year not working is worth it. The phd with its extra time is even scarier, and outside of teaching I'm not sure how practical it is, unless I guess if it was in a hard science for IP work. I'm just curious what your thought process is regarding it, maybe there is something I'm not thinking about.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am

mayosmith wrote:

For me it is three (or more) things:
1.) Location
2.) The older, probably more mature student body
3.) The new programs they've initiated demonstrate, at least to me, a desire to improve and try new things. I really appreciate that, and it gives me a good feeling about the administration and what they're trying to do.
4.) Job placement results seem promising
5.) It is after all a T10...

For me it pretty much went CCN -> NU/Penn
Last edited by Drew2010 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:35 am

I want to practice in Chicago, which means only HYSCC are better. It is in a great location.

But to be honest, they were only T14 I could get into. I got lucky.

MirandaHobbes

Postby MirandaHobbes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:37 am

Drew2010 wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:i'm not quite gray-haired. but i am a career changer (6 years WE, 8 years out of UG). nu's "mature" study body is definitely one of the things that appeals to me. i'm slightly terrified of going back to school after so much time off, but i think i'd find comfort in knowing that there were other "seasoned" people around. chicago is also a big draw. but nu is at the tippy top of my list because of its jd/phd program.

Are you at all worried about spending the extra time doing the phd? Also what phd program are you looking into? I'd love to at least get an MA (in either philosophy or economics) but I struggle about whether or not spending the extra year not working is worth it. The phd with its extra time is even scarier, and outside of teaching I'm not sure how practical it is, unless I guess if it was in a hard science for IP work. I'm just curious what your thought process is regarding it, maybe there is something I'm not thinking about.

pm

opus127

Postby opus127 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 am

Drew2010 wrote:
For me it is three things:
1.) Location
3.) The new programs they've initiated demonstrate, at least to me, a desire to improve and try new things. I really appreciate that, and it gives me a good feeling about the administration and what they're trying to do.

hmm... I count more than 3 reasons there. :wink:

My list is similar. I'm also a career-changer, and I appreciate NU's emphasis on adjusting to the marketplace and making sure its grads are well-equipped to secure good jobs. My graduate degrees were extremely idealistic and disconnected from the real world. Also, I did my undergraduate work at NU and loved the vibe: really smart classmates, top-notch professors, but not a hint of elitism. Everyone was happy to be there, eager to help each other, and people generally had a positive outlook. I hope the law school is the same!

Here's hoping today brings good news for you guys who are still waiting!

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 am

Desert Fox wrote:I want to practice in Chicago, which means only HYSCC are better. It is in a great location.

out of curiosity, long term which do you think would be more prestigious in the Chicago legal world, NU or NYU? I was reading a thread recently where someone was talking about how while differences landing the first job might not be that big between different T14's, down the road the differences in prestige of the different schools can make a significant impact on your ability to bring in business, hence achieve partner. Do you think there is much truth to this? I would think in Chicago a NU grad would be looked at pretty favorably, and wouldn't really be at that big a disadvantage to a HYS - CC grad 10 years out of school in terms of bringing in clients. Am I just ignorant?

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 am

eas331 wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
For me it is three things:
1.) Location

hmm... I count more than 3 reasons there. :wink:

My list is similar. I'm also a career-changer, and I appreciate NU's emphasis on adjusting to the marketplace and making sure its grads are well-equipped to secure good jobs. My graduate degrees were extremely idealistic and disconnected from the real world. Also, I did my undergraduate work at NU and loved the vibe: really smart classmates, top-notch professors, but not a hint of elitism. Everyone was happy to be there, eager to help each other, and people generally had a positive outlook. I hope the law school is the same!

Here's hoping today brings good news for you guys who are still waiting!

Haha, I listed three and then just kept going.. I forgot I had wrote three up top =)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I want to practice in Chicago, which means only HYSCC are better. It is in a great location.

out of curiosity, long term which do you think would be more prestigious in the Chicago legal world, NU or NYU? I was reading a thread recently where someone was talking about how while differences landing the first job might not be that big between different T14's, down the road the differences in prestige of the different schools can make a significant impact on your ability to bring in business, hence achieve partner. Do you think there is much truth to this? I would think in Chicago a NU grad would be looked at pretty favorably, and wouldn't really be at that big a disadvantage to a HYS - CC grad 10 years out of school in terms of bringing in clients. Am I just ignorant?

Hard question to answer as a 0L, but the lay perception of NYU in Chicago is basically nonexistent. But I'm not sure it matters. Northwestern University as an institution is highly respected in Chicago. But I don't know how the law school is viewed.

Few NYU grads want to work in Chicago, so it might be self selection, but not having an alumni base hurts. But I'm sure a NYU grad with good grades wouldn't have a problem getting a job in Chicago.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Hard question to answer as a 0L, but the lay perception of NYU in Chicago is basically nonexistent. But I'm not sure it matters. Northwestern University as an institution is highly respected in Chicago. But I don't know how the law school is viewed.

Few NYU grads want to work in Chicago, so it might be self selection, but not having an alumni base hurts. But I'm sure a NYU grad with good grades wouldn't have a problem getting a job in Chicago.

Ya that makes sense, they are both very strong in their respective cities.

On another note, the admitted student site is no longer enough to satisfy me.. why must the ASW be in April?!!

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Drew2010 wrote:On another note, the admitted student site is no longer enough to satisfy me

I would be ecstatic about access to that site at this point. Plz I can haz admit nao?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”