Northwestern 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Drew2010

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 2010

Post by Drew2010 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:52 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:I wonder if the fact they they are tweeting today (see http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions) means that they are in the office working on apps.
MLK seems like a great day to send out some acceptances!

janez68

New

Post by janez68 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:53 pm

How soon did you guys receive NU's initial email after you submitted your app? It's been over 2 weeks but I have not heard from them. Thanks.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:I wonder if the fact they they are tweeting today (see http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions) means that they are in the office working on apps.
MLK seems like a great day to send out some acceptances!
I know, right? :mrgreen:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:01 pm

I want some more classmates.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I want some more classmates.
I just tweeted them to ask when the next batch will be. :mrgreen: :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elliefont

Bronze

Post by elliefont » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:19 pm

janez68 wrote:How soon did you guys receive NU's initial email after you submitted your app? It's been over 2 weeks but I have not heard from them. Thanks.
I heard back fast, but submitted really early when they weren't busy with live applications. Other people seem to have strange delays in notification, you can email them and ask about your status.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:56 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
bigbucksbigbucksbigbucksnowhammiesnowhammiesbigbucksbigbucksbigbucks...

kh86

New

Post by kh86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:21 pm

rogerw wrote:Have any AJD applicants gotten a response yet?
nope still waiting

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:23 pm

um are you kidding you have to wait til april at the earliest according to Northwestern...
(3) The Admissions Committee begins reviewing Two-Year JD applications in early February. Two-Year JD applicants will receive decisions beginning in April.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kh86

New

Post by kh86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 pm

finalaspects wrote:
um are you kidding you have to wait til april at the earliest according to Northwestern...
(3) The Admissions Committee begins reviewing Two-Year JD applications in early February. Two-Year JD applicants will receive decisions beginning in April.
The AJD program is different than the Two-year JD program for international lawyears. AJD applicants are suppose to be notified by Feb. 1st.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:02 pm

kh86 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
The AJD program is different than the Two-year JD program for international lawyears. AJD applicants are suppose to be notified by Feb. 1st.
I should hope so, considering how early the AJD classes start. Notifying them in April would be insanity.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
They tweeted back, but it was kind of vague:

"Hello! From this point forward we will be sending out decisions on a weekly basis. Look for Twitter updates & watch your email!"

So last week's was on Wednesday, right? Maybe again this Wednesday? Hope it's a bigger batch this time.

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:33 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:They tweeted back, but it was kind of vague:

"Hello! From this point forward we will be sending out decisions on a weekly basis. Look for Twitter updates & watch your email!"

So last week's was on Wednesday, right? Maybe again this Wednesday? Hope it's a bigger batch this time.
Weekly? Ugggghhhhhh.......

But: Nancy, you are awesome for asking them that. Thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MirandaHobbes

Bronze

Post by MirandaHobbes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 pm

mayosmith wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:They tweeted back, but it was kind of vague:

Weekly? Ugggghhhhhh.......

But: Nancy, you are awesome for asking them that. Thank you.

yes, thank you, nancy. wonder if they'll do a week of acceptances followed by a week of rejections and so on and so on like last year.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:19 am

kh86 wrote:
nope still waiting
also still waiting. and yes, we are supposed to have a decision by Feb 1st. I just hoped it would have been sooner.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:56 am

Uggg I want to hear something! Half the time I can't even login to their status checker. It's so frustrating. What seems to be the average turn around time?

rogerw

New

Post by rogerw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am

I just spoke with the admissions office on another matter and I asked about the AJD responses. They said that they plan on responding to everyone right around Feb 1st.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 am

boo_pragmatism wrote:I know I don't have all the resources necessary to make a firm conclusion, but has anyone else noticed that some ranges of numbers make scholly offers at NU a crapshoot? LIKE MINE FOR INSTANCE.
NU combines merit and need, so that might explain some of it. But it seems like people who are closer to 3.8 get a lot, and people with closer to 3.7 get less or none. Northwestern's median GPA is around 3.71. They are giving people who can raise both their GPA and LSAT medians a lot of money so they actually attend.

Also LSN's data for scholarships is much poorer than its data for acceptances. Also since you must apply for NU financial aid to get a scholarship many people who, say prefer Uva, never apply since they already got into their number one.

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:53 am

I was in the admissions office yesterday (MLK Day) for an interview and there were definitely several people in their offices working even though students did not have class. Despite it being January, there were three other candidates waiting for an interview at the same time as mine and several others waiting when I came out. This leads me to believe that admissions staff are still spending a significant amount of time interviewing candidates instead of just reviewing applications, like all the other schools...

MirandaHobbes

Bronze

Post by MirandaHobbes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:38 am

last batch of decisions came last wednesday at 5p (eastern, i believe), following a twitter update at 12:50p. anyone hopeful for a repeat today?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 am

MirandaHobbes wrote:last batch of decisions came last wednesday at 5p (eastern, i believe), following a twitter update at 12:50p. anyone hopeful for a repeat today?
Sure, I'll be hopeful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 pm

oneforship wrote:
MirandaHobbes wrote:last batch of decisions came last wednesday at 5p (eastern, i believe), following a twitter update at 12:50p. anyone hopeful for a repeat today?
Sure, I'll be hopeful.
but i believe the pattern last year was Week of acceptances, week of dings, week of acceptances.. etc.
So maybe you should be hopeful that you DON'T get an email today (last week was acceptances right)?

MirandaHobbes

Bronze

Post by MirandaHobbes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 pm

fl0w wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Sure, I'll be hopeful.
but i believe the pattern last year was Week of acceptances, week of dings, week of acceptances.. etc.
So maybe you should be hopeful that you DON'T get an email today (last week was acceptances right)?
point taken.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:54 pm

fl0w wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Sure, I'll be hopeful.
At this point I will settle for answers. Any answers.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:33 pm

fl0w wrote:but i believe the pattern last year was Week of acceptances, week of dings, week of acceptances.. etc.
Not exactly. Last year they were doing more than one batch a week, and the days tended to alternate, but not very precisely. Sometimes it was accepts one day, rejects the next, and other times it was 2 days of accepts, 2 days of rejects, or some other combination. But they were sending out decisions much more often than they have so far this year. As such, I don't necessarily think that any word today (or whenever, this week) will be a rejection. That's not to say it can't happen, I just don't think we can assume it will be the case.

Examples from last year (I labeled it one or the other if it was MOSTLY that, but some of them still had a few of the opposite decision mixed in, ie, a few rejects in an accept batch, and vice versa):

Fri 9-Jan Accept
Tue 13-Jan Reject/WL
Thur 15-Jan Accept
Fri 16-Jan Accept
Thur 22-Jan Reject/WL
Fri 23-Jan Accept
Thur 29-Jan Reject/WL
Fri 30-Jan Both
Tue 3-Feb Reject/WL
Thur 5-Feb Both
Fri 6-Feb Accept
Tue 10-Feb Reject/WL