Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tintin

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:58 pm

damn, it seems like berkeley is going for high LSATs....not good news for me at allll :cry:

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:00 pm

tintin wrote:damn, it seems like berkeley is going for high LSATs....not good news for me at allll :cry:

if that's the case i'm screwed.....my lsat is below its 25th percentile but GPA is above 75th perc.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 pm

tintin wrote:damn, it seems like berkeley is going for high LSATs....not good news for me at allll :cry:

tintin, with a 168 for Berkeley you should still be fine. median is 166

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm not sure we can say that just yet.

There's very few acceptances, and those seem to be right around the 75% mark on both fronts. The ones accepted so far are virtual 'auto-admits.' Splitters (like me, hopefully) are going to come after that for sure.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:I'm not sure we can say that just yet.

There's very few acceptances, and those seem to be right around the 75% mark on both fronts. The ones accepted so far are virtual 'auto-admits.' Splitters (like me, hopefully) are going to come after that for sure.

Moreover, not even all of the applicants around or above both 75s have been admitted, as I can personally attest. :P

So it is still very, very early to make general pronouncements concerning trends.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:32 pm

SanBun wrote:

Nope, (sorry Ken) but the stats on TLS are old. From ABA and LSAC website, Boalt's LSAT stats are:
25%: 164
50%: 167
75% 170

GPA stats:
25%: 3.7
50%: 3.83
75%: 3.92

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 pm

gymboree wrote:
SanBun wrote:

Nope, (sorry Ken) but the stats on TLS are old. From ABA and LSAC website, Boalt's LSAT stats are:
75% 170

GPA stats:

Even so, tintin is still in pretty good shape.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Anybody know how good Berk is for scholarships? That rising tuition makes me = :cry:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:43 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Anybody know how good Berk is for scholarships? That rising tuition makes me = :cry:

I don't know, but I would be surprised to see them commit substantial sums of money to many applicants this year, given their current economic travails.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:47 pm

gymboree wrote:
SanBun wrote:

75% 170

GPA stats:

I always thought Berkeley's median was 168...

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:49 pm

C'mon Berkeley, I'll help raise your GPA median!!!!!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Legacy316 wrote:C'mon Berkeley, I'll help raise your GPA median!!!!!

+1

Here's hoping we get some reverse splitter action soon :)

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:56 pm

5ky wrote:
managamy wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Anybody know how good Berk is for scholarships? That rising tuition makes me = :cry:

I don't know, but I would be surprised to see them commit substantial sums of money to many applicants this year, given their current economic travails.

Well in that case, the class of 2013 for boalt is really getting the short end of the stick. Way higher tution because of the economy and lower merit aid because of the economy? Ouch.

Yeah, it's gonna be pretty hard for me to be handing out 50k/year for tuition without a scholarship of some kind. Idk. We'll see.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 pm

galahad85 wrote:
gymboree wrote:
SanBun wrote:

75% 170

GPA stats:

+1

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 am

5ky wrote:
managamy wrote:

Well in that case, the class of 2013 for boalt is really getting the short end of the stick. Way higher tution because of the economy and lower merit aid because of the economy? Ouch.

well, this isn't a plan for hikes of a vague or undesignated purpose, and i don't think the conclusion that tuition hikes = less financial aid is at all valid ... dead edley was actually pretty straightforward with the students about what the money will go toward. 40% of the new revenue will be spent on financial aid and boalt's LRAP, which you could argue is the strongest in the nation right now. 55% of the money will be put toward the creation of six new faculty positions. the other 5%, i believe, is going toward construction bonds and probably expenses of a miscellaneous nature. [source: http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2009/11/li ... l#comments]

i'm of the opinion that the budget shortfall, and the fact that some of it falls on students' shoulders, is a real shame; but i also think the plan for managing boalt's money through this crisis is pretty sound.

also i <3 boalt, and i knew about the dramatic increases before i committed here, i don't regret it for a minute, and i think i'm definitely getting the value of what i'm paying.

edited to fix random typo.
Last edited by emilybeth on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:32 am

galahad85 wrote:
gymboree wrote:
SanBun wrote:

75% 170

GPA stats:

From Berkeley's own website for the class of 2012:
LSAT 25/50/75: 165/168/170
GPA 25/50/75: 3.69/3.83/3.95

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:38 am

managamy wrote:

Yeah, this is an incorrect assumption.

The school itself is in good economic shape.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 am

I concur. It doesn't make sense to assume that the school is struggling economically just because the state is. (Look at Michigan)

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:08 am

emilybeth wrote:well, this isn't a plan for hikes of a vague or undesignated purpose, and i don't think the conclusion that tuition hikes = less financial aid is at all valid ... dead edley was actually pretty straightforward with the students about what the money will go toward. 40% of the new revenue will be spent on financial aid and beeoalt's LRAP, which you could argue is the strongest in the nation right now. 55% of the money will be put toward the creation of six new faculty positions. the other 5%, i believe, is going toward construction bonds and probably expenses of a miscellaneous nature. [source: http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2009/11/li ... l#comments]

i'm of the opinion that the budget shortfall, and the fact that some of it falls on students' shoulders, is a real shame; but i also think the plan for managing boalt's money through this crisis is pretty sound.

also i <3 boalt, and i knew about the dramatic increases before i committed here, i don't regret it for a minute, and i think i'm definitely getting the value of what i'm paying.

I'm with you all the way Emily. The "strikers" were talking about the 22% increase, but it really was an increase of <7% over what Dean Edley told us to expect before we committed. Considering the way Sacramento screwed the entire UC System, that's not so bad. Sucks for us, but it is worth it.

For all of you worrying about the $, I'm not going to say DON'T worry about it. You really need to, but please don't compare peer schools current rates with Boalt's future rates. Berkeley has just been forced by the situation to be up front sooner than most other schools.

As for the FINAID, Berkeley has always been primarily need based. I wouldn't expect that to change all that much. There is the matching program, but I only know one guy who actually got anything from that-- and I think he would have qualified for need based too. I am in touch with the FINAID department and they are actually looking at participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program for vets-- a not insubstantial expansion if they were to do it. For the non-vets in the crowd, it may not mean much directly, but since they are seriously considering it, it does suggest they aren't contracting.

Strength and patience to everyone still waiting.
Last edited by Rotor on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:27 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I concur. It doesn't make sense to assume that the school is struggling economically just because the state is. (Look at Michigan)

You certainly might be right, and at any rate I'm not going to stick out my neck for anything faintly resembling a prediction around here. :P

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:32 am

Rotor wrote:
emilybeth wrote:well, this isn't a plan for hikes of a vague or undesignated purpose, and i don't think the conclusion that tuition hikes = less financial aid is at all valid ... dead edley was actually pretty straightforward with the students about what the money will go toward. 40% of the new revenue will be spent on financial aid and beeoalt's LRAP, which you could argue is the strongest in the nation right now. 55% of the money will be put toward the creation of six new faculty positions. the other 5%, i believe, is going toward construction bonds and probably expenses of a miscellaneous nature. [source: http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2009/11/li ... l#comments]

I'm with you all the way Emily. The "strikers" were talking about the 22% increase, but it really was an increase of <7% over what Dean Edley told us to expect before we committed. Considering the way Sacramento screwed the entire UC System, that's not so bad. Sucks for us, but it is worth it.

For all of you worrying about the $, I'm not going to say DON'T worry about it. You really need to, but please don't compare peer schools current rates with Boalt's future rates. Berkeley has just been forced by the situation to be up front sooner than most other schools.

As for the FINAID, Berkeley has always been primarily need based. I wouldn't expect that to change all that much. There is the matching program, but I only know one guy who actually got anything from that-- and I think he would have qualified for need based too. I am in touch with the FINAID department and they are actually looking at participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program for vets-- a not insubstantial expansion if they were to do it. For the non-vets in the crowd, it may not mean much directly, but since they are seriously considering it, it does suggest they aren't contracting.

Finally, remember money isn't everything. There's quality of life too.

I would not expect the private T14s to have much larger than usual tuition hikes. So, Berkeley is in much worse shape tuition wise than the most of the other T14s. Most of the good privates have really only given back the gains from the 2000s with the recent drop in endowments. They will not require larger than normal tuition increases to run comfortably.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:59 am

hiro86 wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Finally, remember money isn't everything. There's quality of life too.

I would not expect the private T14s to have much larger than usual tuition hikes. So, Berkeley is in much worse shape tuition wise than the most of the other T14s. Most of the good privates have really only given back the gains from the 2000s with the recent drop in endowments. They will not require larger than normal tuition increases to run comfortably.

The is a fundamental misunderstanding about what the hikes are about for Boalt. They're not so Boalt can run comfortably, they're so Boalt can continue to improve. When Edley became Dean Boalt was ranked 13th and didn't have many of the programs that attract students now. Private schools frequently raise tuition and will continue to do so. Boalt's tuition plan is aimed at being about 10% less than the leading private schools. It's expected private school tuition will continue to go up. They just don't have to be as transparent about it as the UC schools do, which is why you're hearing about 3 years from now. Ask NYU what their tuition is going to be in 2012 and I doubt they'd be able to give you anywhere near a firm answer.
Last edited by bilbobaggins on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:30 am

Also scholarships usually come from dedicated funds that are limited in use to that specific expenditure. The current budget problems at UCs don't really affect those funds. HOWEVER some of those funds are suffering on the market investment side, which is something to consider. I was on the audit team for a college in CA and their scholarship funds (invested rather conservatively) took a 50% return hit in 2008.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:37 am

thalassocrat wrote:From Berkeley's own website for the class of 2012:
LSAT 25/50/75: 165/168/170
GPA 25/50/75: 3.69/3.83/3.95

I am VERY surprised that their numbers are so close to UCLA's! Expected Cal to have higher stats. Doesn't make sense considering their ranking.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”