Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bilbobaggins

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:Thanks for the unsolicited and uppity psychotherapy.

Welcome, but it's technically downity ;)

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Anyone get a happy call today...?

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Submitted on the 14th, under review email today... Godammit Berkeley why you gotta keep my hopes alive like that???

Does anyone else wish that schools who know they won't accept you would just email a quick "no thanks" and keep you from having suicidal tendencies for several months?

And I agree that frequenting this board is a quick way to lose your sanity but there is no way that anyone other than the people on tls want to discuss law school as much as I do so I'm here till the bitter end :p

amidea

Postby amidea » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Oli wrote:Submitted on the 14th, under review email today... Godammit Berkeley why you gotta keep my hopes alive like that???

Does anyone else wish that schools who know they won't accept you would just email a quick "no thanks" and keep you from having suicidal tendencies for several months?

And I agree that frequenting this board is a quick way to lose your sanity but there is no way that anyone other than the people on tls want to discuss law school as much as I do so I'm here till the bitter end :p

Definitely. Law schools that don't want you should just let you know quick and easy.. unless they're seriously contemplating accepting you, they should not make us suffer for no reason.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Oli wrote:Submitted on the 14th, under review email today... Godammit Berkeley why you gotta keep my hopes alive like that???

+1

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:18 am

I've been under review for about a week and a half. Do you think that the Dean is still looking at the file, or would he have passed it committee review by now? I'm not sure whether the status check tells you.

Hope that it was all right that I gave them my normal 2-page PS rather than a 4-pager, by the way. I felt that it was better to give them a clear, well-constructed essay rather than one that rambled unnecessarily as mine would have done, given my topic.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:21 am

amidea wrote:

Definitely. Law schools that don't want you should just let you know quick and easy.. unless they're seriously contemplating accepting you, they should not make us suffer for no reason.

Well, last year I lasted all of 2 days or so under review from Berkeley - got the, "F off" e-mail right after that. You end up feeling the opposite then, like, "Come on, can't you pretend it took some debate?"

CoutureChiq

Postby CoutureChiq » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:26 am

managamy wrote:I've been under review for about a week and a half. Do you think that the Dean is still looking at the file, or would he have passed it committee review by now? I'm not sure whether the status check tells you.

Hope that it was all right that I gave them my normal 2-page PS rather than a 4-pager, by the way. I felt that it was better to give them a clear, well-constructed essay rather than one that rambled unnecessarily as mine would have done, given my topic.

I have been under review for about the same time...I don't know what to think either.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:28 am

CoutureChiq wrote:
managamy wrote:I've been under review for about a week and a half. Do you think that the Dean is still looking at the file, or would he have passed it committee review by now? I'm not sure whether the status check tells you.

I have been under review for about the same time...I don't know what to think either.

Other than one or two random decisions, they didn't accept/reject any aps until right around thanksgivingish last year - so probably making some decisions and will begin releasing about then.

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:02 am

ruleser wrote:Other than one or two random decisions, they didn't accept/reject any aps until right around thanksgivingish last year - so probably making some decisions and will begin releasing about then.

only ~1 week before we can really start getting crazy.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 am

Under review doesn't mean anyone has actually looked at your file yet. It might mean they made a decision and haven't told you yet, and it might mean you're on the bottom of a gigantic stack. I know it's hard, but don't worry about it. Just relax and enjoy your free time before law school.

southxii

Postby southxii » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 am

Free time?!?!!!! Where's the line for that?!?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:43 am

From ATL, made me giggle:

Hey, it’s the Berkeley way. When they are pissed about something, they protest. It’s better than the Harvard way; when we’re pissed about something, we ask Daddy to fire somebody.

[Yale way = invite SCOTUS justice to speak about the issue, ask justice only clerkship application questions. UT way = shoot it. NYU way = wait to see how Columbia handles the problem. I could go on and on.]

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:28 am

*Under Review* as of yesterday. I love how it makes it seem like a I have a chance in Hell, lol. Below the 25th percentile in both GPA and LSAT, but my husband nearly forced me to apply. I wasn't going to, but he offered to pay for it. I can see his point (the worst that can happen? What I already know...auto-reject!) since I applied to Berkeley undergrad as a transfer and was .2 GPA points below the 25th percentile for transfer admissions and got in. Still...this is different. Even if I defied statistical evidence and got in for some bizarre reason, I think I would ask the Dean if he's a prank caller :lol:

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:28 pm

OrcinusOrcas wrote:*Under Review* as of yesterday. I love how it makes it seem like a I have a chance in Hell, lol. Below the 25th percentile in both GPA and LSAT, but my husband nearly forced me to apply. I wasn't going to, but he offered to pay for it. I can see his point (the worst that can happen? What I already know...auto-reject!) since I applied to Berkeley undergrad as a transfer and was .2 GPA points below the 25th percentile for transfer admissions and got in. Still...this is different. Even if I defied statistical evidence and got in for some bizarre reason, I think I would ask the Dean if he's a prank caller :lol:

I am just above their 25% LSAT and ever-so-slightly below their 75% GPA, and went Under Review yesterday as well. I really don't find it to be a good sign. Hopefully something in my app packet will prevent an auto-reject, but I am sensing a polite "No thanks" email from them in my near future.

Anyone else on the low end of their LSAT go under review? We can commiserate together soon.

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:56 pm

168/3.84--- submitted 11/16, complete 11/18, under review 11/18

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:01 pm

texasgirl22 wrote:168/3.84--- submitted 11/16, complete 11/18, under review 11/18

Hmm... maybe there is hope after all.

DCLawGW

Postby DCLawGW » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:54 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
OrcinusOrcas wrote:*Under Review* as of yesterday. I love how it makes it seem like a I have a chance in Hell, lol. Below the 25th percentile in both GPA and LSAT, but my husband nearly forced me to apply. I wasn't going to, but he offered to pay for it. I can see his point (the worst that can happen? What I already know...auto-reject!) since I applied to Berkeley undergrad as a transfer and was .2 GPA points below the 25th percentile for transfer admissions and got in. Still...this is different. Even if I defied statistical evidence and got in for some bizarre reason, I think I would ask the Dean if he's a prank caller :lol:

I am just above their 25% LSAT and ever-so-slightly below their 75% GPA, and went Under Review yesterday as well. I really don't find it to be a good sign. Hopefully something in my app packet will prevent an auto-reject, but I am sensing a polite "No thanks" email from them in my near future.

Anyone else on the low end of their LSAT go under review? We can commiserate together soon.

I'm in the same boat. Not anticipating an acceptance, but we tried right?

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Oli wrote:And I agree that frequenting this board is a quick way to lose your sanity but there is no way that anyone other than the people on tls want to discuss law school as much as I do so I'm here till the bitter end :p

Very credited.

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:01 pm

maybe they review apps by lsat/gpa ranges?

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:03 pm

I've been "Under Review" at Berkeley for a month, LSAT and GPA both above their 75th percentile. It think it's just a holding pattern for almost everyone.

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:07 pm

i've been under review now for almost a month now. let's just get this over with.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:14 pm

New LSN acceptance. Start obsessing!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Dman11

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:15 pm

171/3.6

i just wish i had a dark shot in hell... i would kill for berk

keiko

Postby keiko » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 pm

What I would like to know from the acceptees is if Dean Tom called with a 510 area code or with a Blocked number =X

Wonder what schools do in general...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”