Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SanBun

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby SanBun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 am

doopwooper wrote:
wired wrote:
doopwooper wrote:I've been under review since 11/2/09...patience is running thin, but I'm not too hopeful. My lsat isnt amazing. (167/3.9)

Under review since 11/2. Patience is still running high, but I am not too hopeful. My GPA isn't amazing (below 3.5).

good luck!! hopefully we'll both hear something soon and hopefully it will be something we want to hear!

UR 11/02. No ding, no WL, no FR. what are the options for getting in at this point? only FR or directly through dean Tom as well? WHY would it take this long, does it imply I'm WL at best??

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:09 am

SanBun wrote:
UR 11/02. No ding, no WL, no FR. what are the options for getting in at this point? only FR or directly through dean Tom as well? WHY would it take this long, does it imply I'm WL at best??

You remind me of myself a little while ago. :wink: My review date was only a week later than yours, and I didn't hear until this Monday. I was accepted through administrative review (Dean Tom), so it wouldn't be very surprising if you're still under his personal consideration. From what you've told me about your background, Boalt should find you rather appetizing.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:12 am

Does anyone know what the hell is going on with the admissions process? It seems so random.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:12 am

clint4law wrote:Does anyone know what the hell is going on with the admissions process? It seems so random.

I know.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:14 am

clint4law wrote:Does anyone know what the hell is going on with the admissions process? It seems so [strike]random[/strike] Berkeley.

"Random" is not my favorite word, so I went to the thesaurus and found a useful synonym. :P

Curare

Postby Curare » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:16 am

managamy wrote:
SanBun wrote:UR 11/02. No ding, no WL, no FR. what are the options for getting in at this point? only FR or directly through dean Tom as well? WHY would it take this long, does it imply I'm WL at best??

You remind me of myself a little while ago. :wink: My review date was only a week later than yours, and I didn't hear until this Monday. I was accepted through administrative review (Dean Tom), so it wouldn't be very surprising if you're still under his personal consideration. From what you've told me about your background, Boalt should find you rather appetizing.

LOL seriously?

steelerfan87

Postby steelerfan87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 am

@sanbun et al - if you havent heard anything yet, there is still a chance you will get in through dean tom, there is also still a chance you will be sent to FR. however the only way to waitlist is through FR, they compile a ranked wl at the end of their process.
without looking at all the numbers, and with hopefully no offense to those in this category, it seems the only people rejected thus far are *numerical* auto denies, and splitters. given the dean tom interview on this site and my own experience from last year I'm gonna take a stab at some possibilities for all the early app, non reject, no FR folks:

1. some sort of hold process is going on where you are being compared to the later apps. probable outcome = FR or reject
2. dean tom is waffling on whether he should accept you or send you to FR. probable outcome = admit or FR
3. you were in one of his staffs groups and not his and they are already in love with you, but the tom himself has to see if he agrees. probable outcome = admit with smaller chance of FR
4. berkeley's mean and just wants to string you along. probable outcome = reject

i have very little basis for any of this other than the tls interview, what happened with me last year, and whats been said on this forum.
additions, addendums, and criticisms all welcome.

*for entertainment purposes only.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 am

steelerfan87 wrote:@sanbun et al - if you havent heard anything yet, there is still a chance you will get in through dean tom, there is also still a chance you will be sent to FR. however the only way to waitlist is through FR, they compile a ranked wl at the end of their process.
without looking at all the numbers, and with hopefully no offense to those in this category, it seems the only people rejected thus far are *numerical* auto denies, and splitters. given the dean tom interview on this site and my own experience from last year I'm gonna take a stab at some possibilities for all the early app, non reject, no FR folks:

1. some sort of hold process is going on where you are being compared to the later apps. probable outcome = FR or reject
2. dean tom is waffling on whether he should accept you or send you to FR. probable outcome = admit or FR
3. you were in one of his staffs groups and not his and they are already in love with you, but the tom himself has to see if he agrees. probable outcome = admit with smaller chance of FR
4. berkeley's mean and just wants to string you along. probable outcome = reject

i have very little basis for any of this other than the tls interview, what happened with me last year, and whats been said on this forum.

steelerfan that's pretty great, exactly what i was looking for. Now all I need to know if which of those categories I fall in :D

steelerfan87

Postby steelerfan87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 am

hopefully 2. or 3. sanbun!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:50 am

My money is on #2.

steelerfan87

Postby steelerfan87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 am

managamy wrote:My money is on #2.

ya 1 or 2 seem to make the most sense in my mind.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 am

hope you're right
won't be too devastated if I get rejected tho, but I gotta say from all I know about Berkeley, I think I would be a perfect fit on so many levels

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:33 am

steelerfan87 wrote:@sanbun et al - if you havent heard anything yet, there is still a chance you will get in through dean tom, there is also still a chance you will be sent to FR. however the only way to waitlist is through FR, they compile a ranked wl at the end of their process.

wow great info, thanks! about option 3....do you know what %age of applicants go to his staff during AR? and does he always have to have the last word on the staff's apps?

shit i'm skerred

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 am

oh, found it. dean tom previews 2/3 of apps and then 4 staff members preview the remaining 1/3.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:36 am

SanBun wrote:

hope you're right
won't be too devastated if I get rejected tho, but I gotta say from all I know about Berkeley, I think I would be a perfect fit on so many levels

Berk is the only school for me where there's the unique combination of me anticipating a rejection but I'll still be devastated when it happens, simply because it's so far ahead of the rest of the field on my preference list. I tried to make that abundantly clear in my PS and I hope it buys me some leeway, at least a WL spot.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:27 am

I'm also part of the 11/2 UR crowd with nothing yet. However, I think I have next to no chance of getting in. Probably option #1 for me, but I would die if I was accepted.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:03 pm

I've been UR since 10/19.. No news yet. I'm guessing that's good news?

Chudancha

Postby Chudancha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:08 pm

nyskidude wrote:I've been UR since 10/19.. No news yet. I'm guessing that's good news?

I wouldn't be so sure yet, there seems to be a decent amount of people who have received no decision yet. A few to many i think... :?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Applied as a pipe dream basically just because it's my dream school. I know I have ZERO chance because of my GPA, but a girl can dream, right? haha

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 pm

you have to have a twitter account to read boalt's tweets?

...lame.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:16 pm

parker09 wrote:you have to have a twitter account to read boalt's tweets?

...lame.

:| hater.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Don't worry; no new Twitter updates.

Getting rejected 5 times so far this week really makes me want good old Berk. But it's a long shot :(

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Veritas wrote:

...lame.

Do you think Dean Tom will accept me if I follow Boalt on Twitter?

aimhigh09

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:28 pm

...lame.

I don't have a twitter account, and I've been following it just fine.

http://twitter.com/BoaltAdmissions

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm

nyskidude wrote:
Veritas wrote:

...lame.

Do you think Dean Tom will accept me if I follow Boalt on Twitter?

You still in the game, too??

I dunno man, but it's worth a try :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”