Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msch0i

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby msch0i » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 pm

SanBun wrote:
Veritas wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:
This lovefest between you two is happening in too many threads. As the saying goes, "Get a room, please." :)

Canadians have to stick together. It's all they have after we pwned them in the French & Indian War. Leave them be

I am NOT Canadian. I'm British, thank you VERY much

<3 Oli

veritas i love British people!

i've confessed my love to you before but you didn't seem to notice. I also love Butters.

I'm also a girl and much more attractive than my Rilke avatar.

I think this is a sure sign that these CA schools need to hurry up with their decisions. They're driving people mad, confessing their love on law school forums and all :lol:

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Veritas wrote:I am NOT Canadian. I'm British, thank you VERY much

<3 Oli

You don't fool me with your tiny text!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Oli wrote:
Veritas wrote:I am NOT Canadian. I'm British, thank you VERY much

<3 Oli

You don't fool me with your tiny text!

no fooling, I'm veritas, truth baby.

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 pm

I apologize if this has already been answered, but does anyone know when Berkeley typically sends out financial aid packages?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
Rotor wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

FWIW, I no longer considered going to Berkeley because of the tuition hikes. What people largely overlook is that, while the price is going to market, the cost is going to be considerably higher given that Berkeley gives much less grant money (median yearly grant at Harvard: ~$18,000, median grant at Berkeley: ~$8000, I think).

This is only the up front money. Don't forget to compare the back end for LRAP if your career asperations make LRAP likely. Half of the tuition increase is designated for improving the FINAID (considering more than just LRAP, too, FWIW. Just not sure how much and exact modalities).

The other half of the increase is to keep up the faculty growth and quality, facility improvements, etc.

So instead of getting a top private caliber education at public prices, you'd be getting a top private caliber education at a comparable (or slightly lower cost). What more can you ask for? Do you get pissed off when you go to the Porsche dealership and they won't sell you a 911 for the price of a Kia just because Porsches used to cost less than $15k back in the day?

As to the increase in FinAid, that's certainly a valid point, though the lack of information as to how it will shake out isn't helping Berk's case when I go to crunch the numbers. In any case, I can't imagine the median grant doubling....

As to the car analogy and TripleK's incredulity, why I no longer consider Berkeley isn't because my expectations weren't met, I understand perfectly and accept the circumstances which brought about the increase; rather, for a large number of reasons about which we could quibble, Berkeley was a really great car for a great price, while other, higher ranked schools were really, really great cars for market price. Now, if the prices are the same (I'm not particularly interested in LRAP), who would still pay for the former over the latter?

I'm a pretty special case given where I fall in the admissions game, but I have to imagine Berkeley is going to lose out....

FWIW, a Berkeley alumnus I know said he wouldn't have gone to Berkeley had the cost been what it's going to be (he chose it over Stanford).

Sticking with the car analogy a bit longer: I'm not saying that everyone should want the Porsche at the price. If you want a Ferrari or a BMW or a Kia instead, go for that. But my point is you should make it based on the complete package-- of which price is one factor-- but I've seen so many reflexive "I'm not going to Berkeley because they jacked up the price" comments, I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 to make sure that folks are looking at the big picture...upfront costs, back end costs, educational quality, QOL, etc.

In the end, none of us is happy about paying more. But there are plenty of folks who would rather be here than CCN (and maybe even a few who have YHS in hand), even at parity pricing. Will we lose some individuals who go elsewhere because of the price? Sure. I'd be silly not to think so. But I don't think that it will be a wholesale exodus as some (not necessarily you...) are suggesting.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm

I hope the tuition hike hurts Berkeley's yield so they can accept me, a guaranteed enrollment. :mrgreen:

Mr.Feeny

Postby Mr.Feeny » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:06 am

Saya wrote:
radgrad wrote:Hey- if we need to update our file, does anyone know if it's better to send an email to admissions@ or to send a snail mail letter?
+2, please.

this may have already gotten answered...but i sent my updated transcript to LSAC and then emailed the schools to let them know an updated transcript was on its way

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:10 am

Mr.Feeny wrote:
Saya wrote:
radgrad wrote:Hey- if we need to update our file, does anyone know if it's better to send an email to admissions@ or to send a snail mail letter?
+2, please.

this may have already gotten answered...but i sent my updated transcript to LSAC and then emailed the schools to let them know an updated transcript was on its way

I agree, Email would probably be the best. That way they can confirm it was received.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:11 am

Is anyone else still under review since 11/7?

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 am

clint4law wrote:Is anyone else still under review since 11/7?

Close. 11/9

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:17 am

clint4law wrote:Is anyone else still under review since 11/7?

I've been in review since late oct...

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 am

Under review since 11/9 and starting to get pretty bummed about it. I mean, I always knew it was 9/11 in reverse, but I thought that meant good news. I guess the opposite of bad news is no news, not acceptance.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:46 am

wtf....when do you guys think we'll hear back?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:47 am

clint4law wrote:wtf....when do you guys think we'll hear back?

first large wave of rejections :cry:

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:52 am

finalaspects wrote:

fuck...when do you think that'll be? at this point i want closure! do you really think our chances of getting admitted are slim?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:56 am

clint4law wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

fuck...when do you think that'll be? at this point i want closure! do you really think our chances of getting admitted are slim?

last year the first wave started from the end of January (29th). Might be delayed until 1st or 2nd week of February for this year.

Within these rejections were numbers like 171/3.5 and 170/3.67.

katalatriste

Postby katalatriste » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm

under review since 11/30 && got faculty review on 1/11 :|

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:00 pm

katalatriste wrote:under review since 11/30 && got faculty review on 1/11 :|

don't be sad. its better than me. under review since oct and no faculty review

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:03 pm

finalaspects wrote:

we're effed.

akapur

Postby akapur » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 pm

finalaspects wrote:

Ditto. Been UR since 11/9 and no FR as of yet. Although isn't Berkeley's UR the same as Complete? Mine went straight from App Received to UR in like 10 days.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:07 pm

akapur wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Ditto. Been UR since 11/9 and no FR as of yet. Although isn't Berkeley's UR the same as Complete? Mine went straight from App Received to UR in like 10 days.

Even if it just means that we're complete, its definitely not a good sign.

something tells me if we pool all our numbers, we're than likely to be under their medians. Plus we'll be UR/Complete until their first wave of rejections, which will take place late this month or during the first 2 weeks of February, if last year is any indication of this year's cycle.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:21 pm

finalaspects wrote:
akapur wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Even if it just means that we're complete, its definitely not a good sign.

something tells me if we pool all our numbers, we're than likely to be under their medians. Plus we'll be UR/Complete until their first wave of rejections, which will take place late this month or during the first 2 weeks of February, if last year is any indication of this year's cycle.

Not necessarily. I am under review with no faculty review designation, and my GPA is basically right on their median and my LSAT is three points above the 75th. But I just submitted my application at the end of December (stupid, I know) and just went complete on the 11th, so maybe that's why. I'm worried I won't get in because I submitted too late.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Not necessarily. I am under review with no faculty review designation, and my GPA is basically right on their median and my LSAT is three points above the 75th. But I just submitted my application at the end of December (stupid, I know) and just went complete on the 11th, so maybe that's why. I'm worried I won't get in because I submitted too late.

I didn't mean everyone under review. I was only talking about the people who have been under review for a very long time. Such as myself since late Oct.

If you just recently applied (such as yourself), it may just mean that they haven't gotten to your application.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:32 pm

What are Berkeley's medians exactly?

If their website is right (167-170, 3.7-3.8 ) then I'm right on par (though the tail end of both those number sets.)

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:35 pm

finalaspects wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Not necessarily. I am under review with no faculty review designation, and my GPA is basically right on their median and my LSAT is three points above the 75th. But I just submitted my application at the end of December (stupid, I know) and just went complete on the 11th, so maybe that's why. I'm worried I won't get in because I submitted too late.

I didn't mean everyone under review. I was only talking about the people who have been under review for a very long time. Such as myself since late Oct.

If you just recently applied (such as yourself), it may just mean that they haven't gotten to your application.

UR since 10/22, 169/3.93 if they've gotten the new transcript, 3.91 if not. My lack of news might be due to the transcript update, though. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”