Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hopefulincal

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby hopefulincal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:I think Boalt could be making a tactical mistake here. All or most of the top students surely know about the tuition issues the UC system is having. Thus many of the top students (especially California residents) are already considering similarly ranked private schools. Furthermore, many of the students they are sending to FR have already been accepted to other top schools like CCNMVP. Come 4/1 when Boalt realizes that enrollment rate is down, it will be too late to get these students back. As a result, they could be looking at a drop in rankings next year.

Way to arm-chair quarterback.

Students regularly choose Boalt over higher ranked schools and similarly ranked schools. Many of these students get money either way.

Private school tuition will also increase.

Applications are also way up, which would likely offset what you're talking about.

But hey, you're a 0L trolling a Berk thread on TLS, so you must know what's going on.

Lol at the arrogance.

As seen by the sample of students on here who have gone to FR, many have been accepted by higher and similarly ranked schools. And yes, many students chose Boalt in the past, especially Cal residents due to the low tuition. The new tuition levels make that difference almost insignificant with Boat charging $50K in 3 years. Common sense tells us that a portion of students would no longer choose Boalt over higher and similarly ranked schools.

Yes, applications are way up. Did you think that's only happening at Boalt? Since this phenomenon is the same for all top schools, it's unlikely to offset the tuition effect.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:37 pm

hopefulincal wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:I think Boalt could be making a tactical mistake here. All or most of the top students surely know about the tuition issues the UC system is having. Thus many of the top students (especially California residents) are already considering similarly ranked private schools. Furthermore, many of the students they are sending to FR have already been accepted to other top schools like CCNMVP. Come 4/1 when Boalt realizes that enrollment rate is down, it will be too late to get these students back. As a result, they could be looking at a drop in rankings next year.

Students regularly choose Boalt over higher ranked schools and similarly ranked schools. Many of these students get money either way.

Applications are also way up, which would likely offset what you're talking about.

But hey, you're a 0L trolling a Berk thread on TLS, so you must know what's going on.

Lol at the arrogance.

As seen by the sample of students on here who have gone to FR, many have been accepted by higher and similarly ranked schools. And yes, many students chose Boalt in the past, especially Cal residents due to the low tuition. The new tuition levels make that difference almost insignificant with Boat charging $50K in 3 years. Common sense tells us that a portion of students would no longer choose Boalt over higher and similarly ranked schools.

Yes, applications are way up. Did you think that's only happening at Boalt? Since this phenomenon is the same for all top schools, it's unlikely to offset the tuition effect.

I pointed out your unfounded assumptions for you. This is pretty typical for the TLS kool aid drinkers.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Def. not tryin' to troll this thread...but I don't think the tuition hikes could possibly help them. You don't win favor by disrespecting your base. Berk. and the rest of the UC's are kinda giving the middle finger to CA residents...I, for one, am one of these residents that is not losing sleep over shifting my focus to their peer schools on the east coast. Frankly, I'm starting to wonder why I wasn't more thrilled with the notion of attending a big-city school on the east coast before. This, honestly, would not have arisen if I still had my CHEAPER west coast option available.

--One dissatisfied CA resident

aad

Postby aad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:19 pm

So, is anybody getting calls from Dean Tom this week without receiving an FR email?

Or is everything up to the FR process?

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:01 pm

hey all. first time poster, long time lurker. got the FR email yesterday. my numbers should have made me an auto-reject, LSAT way below 25th and GPA just below 25th too. I'm not a URM ... guess that goes to show how unpredictable Boalt is. I'm just so very happy I'm still in the running though! Good luck to everyone! :)

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 am

So no FR e-mails today, I'm guessing?

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am

I, for one, am going to try and forget about berkely till the 29th, when i will start tripping out again.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 am

tintin wrote:I, for one, am going to try and forget about berkely till the 29th, when i will start tripping out again.

At least y'all in FR have definitive dates..I'm floating around in no man's land.

steelerfan87

Postby steelerfan87 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 am

tintin wrote:I, for one, am going to try and forget about berkely till the 29th, when i will start tripping out again.

word. although, i suppose lurking this thread isnt helping that cause...

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:47 am

Got the FR email on Monday! :D

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

Lol at the arrogance.

I pointed out your unfounded assumptions for you. This is pretty typical for the TLS kool aid drinkers.

FWIW, I no longer considered going to Berkeley because of the tuition hikes. What people largely overlook is that, while the price is going to market, the cost is going to be considerably higher given that Berkeley gives much less grant money (median yearly grant at Harvard: ~$18,000, median grant at Berkeley: ~$8000, I think).

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 am

ConMan345 wrote:

FWIW, I no longer considered going to Berkeley because of the tuition hikes. What people largely overlook is that, while the price is going to market, the cost is going to be considerably higher given that Berkeley gives much less grant money (median yearly grant at Harvard: ~$18,000, median grant at Berkeley: ~$8000, I think).

This is only the up front money. Don't forget to compare the back end for LRAP if your career asperations make LRAP likely. Half of the tuition increase is designated for improving the FINAID (considering more than just LRAP, too, FWIW. Just not sure how much and exact modalities).

The other half of the increase is to keep up the faculty growth and quality, facility improvements, etc.

So instead of getting a top private caliber education at public prices, you'd be getting a top private caliber education at a comparable (or slightly lower cost). What more can you ask for? Do you get pissed off when you go to the Porsche dealership and they won't sell you a 911 for the price of a Kia just because Porsches used to cost less than $15k back in the day?

TripleK

Postby TripleK » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:07 am

Rotor wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

This is only the up front money. Don't forget to compare the back end for LRAP if your career asperations make LRAP likely. Half of the tuition increase is designated for improving the FINAID (considering more than just LRAP, too, FWIW. Just not sure how much and exact modalities).

The other half of the increase is to keep up the faculty growth and quality, facility improvements, etc.

So instead of getting a top private caliber education at public prices, you'd be getting a top private caliber education at a comparable (or slightly lower cost). What more can you ask for? Do you get pissed off when you go to the Porsche dealership and they won't sell you a 911 for the price of a Kia just because Porsches used to cost less than $15k back in the day?

+1

In this economy and this age what did you all expect? Ofcourse they have to go market prices. I thought people here were smart

TripleK

Postby TripleK » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:26 am

TripleK wrote:
Rotor wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

+1

In this economy and this age what did you all expect? Ofcourse they have to go market prices. I thought people here were smart

Additionally, if you compare expenses at, say, NYU to Berkeley. NYU its 23k Berkely is 24k (out of state) per semester.

But look at the cost of living expenses. Do you really think in NYU you will find studio apartments for $700-$800 or 1 bedrooms apts. for $900-$1,000. Cause thats what a simple search found in Berkeley. There is no way you will get those prices in Manhatten, let alone Greenwich Village where NYU is. Your looking at $1,800+ for a decent studio. Plus other higher costs. Plus parking (if you have a car).

Berkeley is much cheaper still. And it won't be dropping in the rankings that much if at all

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 am

TripleK wrote:
TripleK wrote:
Rotor wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

+1

Additionally, if you compare expenses at, say, NYU to Berkeley. NYU its 23k Berkely is 24k (out of state) per semester.

But look at the cost of living expenses. Do you really think in NYU you will find studio apartments for $700-$800 or 1 bedrooms apts. for $900-$1,000. Cause thats what a simple search found in Berkeley. There is no way you will get those prices in Manhatten, let alone Greenwich Village where NYU is. Your looking at $1,800+ for a decent studio. Plus other higher costs. Plus parking (if you have a car).

Berkeley is much cheaper still. And it won't be dropping in the rankings that much if at all

You can get by in NYC under $700 rent. Take a look at this one:

--LinkRemoved--

its also a few blocks from a train, no car needed. The level of comfort/apt size is surely worse but its not like NYC is untouchable..just requires some sacrifice.

peyso

Postby peyso » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am

TripleK wrote:
TripleK wrote:
Rotor wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

+1

--LinkRemoved--

its also a few blocks from a train, no car needed. The level of comfort/apt size is surely worse but its not like NYC is untouchable..just requires some sacrifice.

I'd argue that the regular TLSer wouldnt want to live in the neighborhood that you pointed out in your example of cheap living in NYC. I'd know, I grew up there

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Rotor wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I'd argue that the regular TLSer wouldnt want to live in the neighborhood that you pointed out in your example of cheap living in NYC. I'd know, I grew up there

+1
Also, that post seems to be for a bedroom in a shared 3br apartment, which would bring the total price of the apartment to $1800 a month (assuming the $75 goes towards the included utilities). In Bed-Stuy, no less.

You can get decent housing in NYC, but it's going to be more expensive than the Bay area, and that's pretty much just fact. If you don't want roommates (who does?), you'll either being paying well over a grand for a one bedroom or moving fairly far from Manhattan.

However, I would say it's worth the price, for both NYC and NYU.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 pm

i wasn't implying that anyone would want to live there, or even should live there. i am just saying there are cheaper options in NYC for a bit of a sacrifice. someone w/ a housing budget of $700 a month can find something reasonable with roommates in a less desirable area.

that said, at some other top schools you can basically live in luxury close to campus. that is a nice benefit, although one i don't particularly care about.

gitls

Postby gitls » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 pm

While that exact location is not that desirable since it's basically on Atlantic Ave, lets not malign the whole of Bed-Stuy. It's not a horrible place to live in by any means. It might not be as "pretty" as other gentrified and hipsterized areas of Brooklyn like Williamsburg, but its definitely safe and if you look hard enough has some great restaurants and bars.

TripleK

Postby TripleK » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Look, this is getting out of hand.

My only point was that it's ridiculous for people to complain about the increased cost of Berkeley compared to the other schools of similar quality and/or rank. And either way, Berkelely is still going to provide a cheaper option for many, especially if you are instate or look at the Total cost.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Yes, perhaps we could return to the constant neurotic hand-wringing, please?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 pm

5ky wrote:Yes, perhaps we could return to the constant neurotic hand-wringing, please?

Yes, like WHERE IS THE SECOND WAVE OF FR EMAILS? :shock:

Saya

Postby Saya » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:47 pm

*wrings hands* How do we update our files with Berkeley? Like our resume and fall grades. Please don't say snail mail.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 pm

englawyer wrote:i wasn't implying that anyone would want to live there, or even should live there. i am just saying there are cheaper options in NYC for a bit of a sacrifice. someone w/ a housing budget of $700 a month can find something reasonable with roommates in a less desirable area.

that said, at some other top schools you can basically live in luxury close to campus. that is a nice benefit, although one i don't particularly care about.

A "bit" of sacrifice? I would not want to live in that apartment, and I have lived in some very rough areas. For all intents and purposes, that is not a reasonable option. I couldn't care less about luxury; I do care, however, about safety. The previous poster who said not to malign Bed Stuy is right...it's not a bad place through and through. But you've got to know where to go (and a $700 apartment probably isn't one of those places).

No matter how you couch it, there's no denying that COL in NY is absolutely higher than Berkeley. If you really want, I could show you $450 apartments in Oakland (closer the Berkeley than Bed Stuy is to NYU) that few TLS-ers would want to live in, either. Yes you technically "can" live in NY for $700/month...but with almost all housing opportunities anywhere, you generally get what you pay for.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”