Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Snarleyow

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Snarleyow » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:39 pm

I'm too nervous and spending too much valuable time obsessively checking onlines statuses to pick up on jokes right now, particularly bad ones...

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Snarleyow wrote:I'm too nervous and spending too much valuable time obsessively checking onlines statuses to pick up on jokes right now, particularly bad ones...

yeah tell me bout it, keep checkin all the time

so ive been under review for 2 weeks (no change to committee)- any thoughts? does that mean anything?

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:46 pm

you guys, i hate to totally shoot you down, but i just think you're going to have to wait. last year i submitted late Oct. and didn't hear until March. that seems to be fairly common. you'll know when you know... it's out of your hands now :)

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:47 pm

SanBun wrote:
Snarleyow wrote:I'm too nervous and spending too much valuable time obsessively checking onlines statuses to pick up on jokes right now, particularly bad ones...

yeah tell me bout it, keep checkin all the time

so ive been under review for 2 weeks (no change to committee)- any thoughts? does that mean anything?

I've been under review since 10/19 with no change. I doubt it means anything given that only 2 people on LSN have been accepted thus far.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:57 pm

emilybeth wrote:you guys, i hate to totally shoot you down, but i just think you're going to have to wait. last year i submitted late Oct. and didn't hear until March. that seems to be fairly common. you'll know when you know... it's out of your hands now :)

On LSN, there are a LOT of Nov. acceptances. And Dec. too.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:00 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
emilybeth wrote:you guys, i hate to totally shoot you down, but i just think you're going to have to wait. last year i submitted late Oct. and didn't hear until March. that seems to be fairly common. you'll know when you know... it's out of your hands now :)

Define "a lot". I submitted early last year and waited until March :)

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:03 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:

I'd estimate about 50-60 before Dec. 10th.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:

I'd estimate about 50-60 before Dec. 10th.

You realize that's out of 700+, right?

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:06 pm

On LSN, there are a LOT of Nov. acceptances. And Dec. too.[/quote]

Define "a lot". I submitted early last year and waited until March :)[/quote]

I'd estimate about 50-60 before Dec. 10th.[/quote]

You realize that's out of 700+, right?[/quote]

Keep in mind: not all 700 accepted students are on LSN. Also, even of those on LSN, a very large percentage dont actually list the date they recieved their acceptance.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:08 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:On LSN, there are a LOT of Nov. acceptances. And Dec. too.

Define "a lot". I submitted early last year and waited until March :)[/quote]

I'd estimate about 50-60 before Dec. 10th.[/quote]

You realize that's out of 700+, right?[/quote]

Keep in mind: not all 700 accepted students are on LSN. Also, even of those on LSN, a very large percentage dont actually list the date they recieved their acceptance.[/quote]

And also keep in mind that many--if not most--applicants dont even have their apps submitted by Dec. 10th.

clskelton

Postby clskelton » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 pm

My file has been under review for a week-plus, so my stomach levitates every time the phone rings now. Thankfully, it doesn't ring too often!

zaichka

Postby zaichka » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:13 am

Guys: Don't look at your status checker. Mine didn't say anything different two hours before my call. Mine didn't say anything different the day after the call. Right now, it still says:

Current Status: Your file is under review.
Current Status Date: 10/19/2009

Dean Tom explicitly told me they're not going to be sending anything or doing any kind of formal acknowledgement of acceptance other than the phones calls until a couple weeks later. That was last week, so maybe they'll start sending out more things next week?

Moral of the story: The status checker is worthless at least until after the first major wave of acceptances go out.

amidea

Postby amidea » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am

zaichka wrote:Guys: Don't look at your status checker. Mine didn't say anything different two hours before my call. Mine didn't say anything different the day after the call. Right now, it still says:

Current Status: Your file is under review.
Current Status Date: 10/19/2009

Dean Tom explicitly told me they're not going to be sending anything or doing any kind of formal acknowledgement of acceptance other than the phones calls until a couple weeks later. That was last week, so maybe they'll start sending out more things next week?

Moral of the story: The status checker is worthless at least until after the first major wave of acceptances go out.

Damn it, that rules out one trusty method of procrastination for me.

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:43 am

ahhh, well, at least now i don't have to obsessively check my status. :roll:

southxii

Postby southxii » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 am

So i'll assume that if i don't hear by Thanksgiving or at least early December, i should expect bad news in March.

Is that what everyone else is thinking too?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:59 am

southxii wrote:So i'll assume that if i don't hear by Thanksgiving or at least early December, i should expect bad news in March.

Where did you get this idea?

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:28 am

southxii wrote:So i'll assume that if i don't hear by Thanksgiving or at least early December, i should expect bad news in March.

According to a really quick glance at LSN, last year's rejections didn't start rolling out till 1/28... and then pretty much every day after, with very few acceptances after that. (The abrupt switch from a string of acceptances to string of rejections by date is pretty amazing, actually.)

So... it seems like we have at least two more months before it's time to really start worrying.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:28 pm

parker09 wrote:

According to a really quick glance at LSN, last year's rejections didn't start rolling out till 1/28... and then pretty much every day after, with very few acceptances after that. (The abrupt switch from a string of acceptances to string of rejections by date is pretty amazing, actually.)

So... it seems like we have at least two more months before it's time to really start worrying.

I noticed the same thing.

My husband has actually talked about working up a program that will spit out your expected decision date based on your numbers + complete date (based on LSN data), which would include a date after which you can assume it's a waitlist/rejection. Would anyone else be interested in this?

If I load up all the LSN data, it would give you a report similar to the lawschoolpredictor - only the dates would be the information instead of probabilities.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:05 pm

gymboree wrote:

My husband has actually talked about working up a program that will spit out your expected decision date based on your numbers + complete date (based on LSN data), which would include a date after which you can assume it's a waitlist/rejection. Would anyone else be interested in this?

If I load up all the LSN data, it would give you a report similar to the lawschoolpredictor - only the dates would be the information instead of probabilities.

i'm not sure it'd be the best thing for my sanity.

that being said, if something like this did exist... i'd of course use it :)
...and then spend the next five months crying in the corner of my room when it tells me that berkeley hates me.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Absolutely not. If you go to committee review, which it seems large numbers of eventual admits do, you won't hear until at least January (likely later) and the news could very well be positive.

amidea

Postby amidea » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 pm

gymboree wrote:
parker09 wrote:

I'd definitely be interested in this but it sounds like a lot of work! Of course that's coming from someone who has not the faintest idea of how one would go about doing that so maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:58 pm

parker09 wrote:
gymboree wrote:

i'm not sure it'd be the best thing for my sanity.

that being said, if something like this did exist... i'd of course use it :)
...and then spend the next five months crying in the corner of my room when it tells me that berkeley hates me.

i dont need that to know berkeley hates me :cry:

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Dudez.

Relax. You'll make yourselves miserable if you go through your cycle like this.

Try and be Zen about it or something.

Spend less time on TLS (sorry, Ken, but this is the best way for people to relax a little). Enjoy your fall/winter. Let the acceptances roll in as they will. They will roll in. You will get into good schools, including Berkeley. Nothing you do now will alter events, so try and stop worrying so much about them.

Tracking this thread daily is really not the answer.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks for the unsolicited and uppity psychotherapy.

southxii

Postby southxii » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Whoa.

Well, yeah. I definitely need to relax. Unfortunately, worrying about law schools is about one of the only "fun" things i can do right now.

Sad huh?

But i haven't checked the status checker (for Berkeley) today! That's a small victory.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”