Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 am

couple more on LSN accepted, looks like today. Am I late on noticing this?

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 am

Veritas wrote:couple more on LSN accepted, looks like today. Am I late on noticing this?

ooh, youre right......i hope im next...

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:19 am

Berkeley acceptance means I immediately stop caring about my applications at UVA, Penn, and my acceptance at Duke.

zaichka

Postby zaichka » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27 am

After I asked one of the acceptances, he realized that he had clicked the wrong button and changed it back to pending. False alarm :)

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 am

zaichka wrote:After I asked one of the acceptances, he realized that he had clicked the wrong button and changed it back to pending. False alarm :)

hahah, i wonder if he knows he caused a small frenzy.

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:08 am

Also worth pointing out is that only around 1/3 (500 or so?) of the people Berkeley accepts are accepted before faculty review. Considering that they get around half of their applications by mid-November, even if you apply early you stand an excellent chance of... waiting.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:09 pm

amidea wrote:
How does the Berkeley process work? You only get sent to faculty review in certain circumstances?

Dean Tom himself basically decides yes, no, maybe on every application. The yesses get a phone call (at least early in the cycle. He moved to email notification ~Jan. IIRC). Those that are maybes get to go to round two: committee review. This committee is made up not only of faculty, but a couple/few 2L and 3L students too. They make the ultimate decision if Dean Tom didn't.

The workings are in his interview on here. I'm writing from my phone so too hard to get a link, but easy to find up above. Highly recommend everyone read the interview: for those who haven't submitted, it gives helpful insight into things you could link to in your PS esp. if you have a why Berk riff in it. For those who have already applied, it'll still help you while away the days, weeks, months as your status checker goes through its various iterations.

Best of luck!

amidea

Postby amidea » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:10 pm

triplecats wrote:Also worth pointing out is that only around 1/3 (500 or so?) of the people Berkeley accepts are accepted before faculty review. Considering that they get around half of their applications by mid-November, even if you apply early you stand an excellent chance of... waiting.

Wooo! That's really the only reason I tried getting my applications in early. I LOVE waiting.

Do you guys know when faculty review starts? That is, how long do I get to enjoy the wonderful feeling of waiting?

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:29 pm

i don't know but i also submitted on 10/1 and have been under review since 10/22....been under review just about everywhere for about 3 weeks now and i'm getting more and more exasperated by the day

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:39 pm

amidea wrote:
triplecats wrote:Also worth pointing out is that only around 1/3 (500 or so?) of the people Berkeley accepts are accepted before faculty review. Considering that they get around half of their applications by mid-November, even if you apply early you stand an excellent chance of... waiting.

Wooo! That's really the only reason I tried getting my applications in early. I LOVE waiting.

Do you guys know when faculty review starts? That is, how long do I get to enjoy the wonderful feeling of waiting?

January or February. I would recommend forgetting law school exists for a while.

amidea

Postby amidea » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:40 pm

onwisconsin25 wrote:i don't know but i also submitted on 10/1 and have been under review since 10/22....been under review just about everywhere for about 3 weeks now and i'm getting more and more exasperated by the day

I haven't even been under review for that long and I still check my status checkers every day juuust in case something's changed even though I already know it hasnt...

amidea

Postby amidea » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 pm

triplecats wrote:
amidea wrote:

January or February. I would recommend forgetting law school exists for a while.

Sigh... easier said than done.

lsnoob

Postby lsnoob » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 pm

what do we know about the admitted students site? is it like michigan? if i get in will i be able to log in using the same ID and password as the status checker?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 am

One guy on LSN claims to have gotten in already, via snail mail. Which I find suspicious, because I heard Dean Tom calls people, especially early in the cycle. Although, I will admit, he has some badass numbers. True? Untrue? Discuss.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:13 am

thorntll wrote:One guy on LSN claims to have gotten in already, via snail mail. Which I find suspicious, because I heard Dean Tom calls people, especially early in the cycle. Although, I will admit, he has some badass numbers. True? Untrue? Discuss.

Untrue. They call from everything I have heard

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:58 pm

thorntll wrote:One guy on LSN claims to have gotten in already, via snail mail. Which I find suspicious, because I heard Dean Tom calls people, especially early in the cycle. Although, I will admit, he has some badass numbers. True? Untrue? Discuss.

Definitely untrue. From the status checker email they sent us:

"In an effort to conserve paper, Berkeley Law School will notify you of your admission decision via email. Please be sure to update our office immediately if you change your email address."

As I've said before and will say again: They are paperless hippies out here in NorCal.

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:04 pm

onwisconsin25 wrote:i don't know but i also submitted on 10/1 and have been under review since 10/22....been under review just about everywhere for about 3 weeks now and i'm getting more and more exasperated by the day

I have a similar date of submission and identical date of completion... What's going on over there??

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 pm

hopin10 wrote:

I have a similar date of submission and identical date of completion... What's going on over there??

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think anyone's been accepted yet, and even if someone has, it's like one person.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:21 pm

crackberry wrote:

"In an effort to conserve paper, Berkeley Law School will notify you of your admission decision via email. Please be sure to update our office immediately if you change your email address."

As I've said before and will say again: They are paperless hippies out here in NorCal.

You do also get an accepted students packet in the mail, it just takes a bit longer.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:28 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
crackberry wrote:

You do also get an accepted students packet in the mail, it just takes a bit longer.

WT can you go get me accepted, please!! <3<3<3

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:29 pm

Veritas wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
crackberry wrote:

WT can you go get me accepted, please!! <3<3<3

Where is your blue moderator name? You had me confused.

I wish I were that important but if I ask Dean Tom to admit you he would just wonder who I am.

wired

Postby wired » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:32 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Where is your blue moderator name? You had me confused.

I wish I were that important but if I ask Dean Tom to admit you he would just wonder who I am.

And then he would wonder who the person you recommended is, be intrigued, look up his file, and admit him. Why did you not think through this?!?!?!

zaichka

Postby zaichka » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:11 pm

OMG!!! JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH DEAN TOM!!! I'm accepted!

This is for real. You can look me up on LSN. :) I'm so unbelievably excited. I must have sounded like a total fool on the phone. :)

The acceptances begin!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:12 pm

zaichka wrote:OMG!!! JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH DEAN TOM!!! I'm accepted!

This is for real. You can look me up on LSN. :) I'm so unbelievably excited. I must have sounded like a total fool on the phone. :)

The acceptances begin!

:shock: CONGRATS!!!!!!!

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:17 pm

zaichka wrote:OMG!!! JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH DEAN TOM!!! I'm accepted!

The acceptances begin!

CONGRATS! stats please!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”