Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kronk

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

No SLS is much more selective. Boalt is just more likely to waitlist you because they think you'll be going to Stanford or Yale. SLS is likely to admit you because you spent your undergrad there and they probably think you're a safe catch and won't hurt their yield.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Well I omitted a "Why Boalt" essay and sent in a 2 pg PS :( Post-app regret is killing me.

I also didn't do any "Why Boalt"ing and sent ina 2pg PS. I wouldn't worry about it. Are you sure you and Managamy sent in your apps early enough to be part of that first batch?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:23 pm

VoidSix wrote:No SLS is much more selective. Boalt is just more likely to waitlist you because they think you'll be going to Stanford or Yale or Harvard. SLS is likely to admit you because you spent your undergrad there and they probably think you're a safe catch and won't hurt their yield.

Haha, fixed. Your analysis makes a lot of sense; you sound like a seasoned LS sage indeed. I don't know why we ever menaced you with the guillotine. :P

I was under review 11/9, FWIW. Too late? But there were a couple of people who were accepted almost immediately.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:26 pm

F Harvard. =)

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:46 pm

wait so does dean tom review EVERY file first? as in....is he the ONLY first reader? thanks!

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Well I omitted a "Why Boalt" essay and sent in a 2 pg PS :( Post-app regret is killing me.

I also didn't do any "Why Boalt"ing and sent ina 2pg PS. I wouldn't worry about it. Are you sure you and Managamy sent in your apps early enough to be part of that first batch?

He sure did but I applied later (11/15) and went UR last week (07/12). Not worrying yet but not very hopeful either. My stats are lower than his as well for that matter and I have pretty much NO softs.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
VoidSix wrote:

He sure did but I applied later (11/15) and went UR last week (07/12). Not worrying yet but not very hopeful either. My stats are lower than his as well for that matter and I have pretty much NO softs.

Not to be immodest, but you have a lot of company there. If you've just been UR for a week, it's FAR too early to worry.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:50 am

managamy wrote:
VoidSix wrote:No SLS is much more selective. Boalt is just more likely to waitlist you because they think you'll be going to Stanford or Yale or Harvard. SLS is likely to admit you because you spent your undergrad there and they probably think you're a safe catch and won't hurt their yield.

Haha, fixed. Your analysis makes a lot of sense; you sound like a seasoned LS sage indeed. I don't know why we ever menaced you with the guillotine. :P

I was under review 11/9, FWIW. Too late? But there were a couple of people who were accepted almost immediately.

Managamy, all things being equal, are you set on HLS over SLS/YLS?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 am

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:

PM'ed you.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:15 am

texasgirl22 wrote:wait so does dean tom review EVERY file first? as in....is he the ONLY first reader? thanks!

Correct.

FZJ80

Postby FZJ80 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:49 am

managamy wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:wait so does dean tom review EVERY file first? as in....is he the ONLY first reader? thanks!

Correct.

You sure about this? Because then my timetable does not make sense. I went from complete to admitted in 9 days. I doubt he read all the apps in front of me in only 9 days. If that were the case, the entire admissions process would likely roll along much more quickly.

Saya

Postby Saya » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:08 am

FZJ80 wrote:
managamy wrote:

Correct.

You sure about this? Because then my timetable does not make sense. I went from complete to admitted in 9 days. I doubt he read all the apps in front of me in only 9 days. If that were the case, the entire admissions process would likely roll along much more quickly.
Maybe you caught his eye because of how amazing you are.

Edit - Oh! It's Monday! :D May the force be with us.
Last edited by Saya on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:12 am

Dean Tom reads everything. If he likes you enough, you'll get in pretty quickly. Otherwise you can be sent to faculty and student reviewers for a second, third, etc opinion.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:32 am

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:

Yeah Managamy...would you realllllllly consider Boalt, or are you mostly worked up because you don't have it (yet)? And I ask that question completely in earnest. I mean, I would actually turn down HLS for Boalt, but I don't think many people would do the same. Plus it's irrelevant to say that I don't want what I can't have anyways. :)

Although, for an interesting sake of argument, I recetly shared my Boalt acceptance with a friend who teaches law at CCN. He said if he were an entering student, he would pick Boalt over CCN (including his employer school), Harvard, "and probably even Yale." Stanford was not mentioned. Interestig perspective though, coming from deep within the beast.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 am

FZJ80 wrote:
managamy wrote:

Correct.

You're very unusual in that regard and deserve a special congratulations for it!

Laina

Postby Laina » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:51 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:

Yeah Managamy...would you realllllllly consider Boalt, or are you mostly worked up because you don't have it (yet)? And I ask that question completely in earnest. I mean, I would actually turn down HLS for Boalt, but I don't think many people would do the same. Plus it's irrelevant to say that I don't want what I can't have anyways. :)

Although, for an interesting sake of argument, I recetly shared my Boalt acceptance with a friend who teaches law at CCN. He said if he were an entering student, he would pick Boalt over CCN (including his employer school), Harvard, "and probably even Yale." Stanford was not mentioned. Interestig perspective though, coming from deep within the beast.

Did he say why?

FZJ80

Postby FZJ80 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:53 am

fidesverita wrote:Dean Tom reads everything. If he likes you enough, you'll get in pretty quickly. Otherwise you can be sent to faculty and student reviewers for a second, third, etc opinion.

Fascinating, Dean Tom is even more amazing than I had thought.

Also, I'm not here to brag about my experience at Boalt. Just trying to help the process along while supplying real-life information...

edit: i just realized my real point. If you go under review, odds are that Dean Tom has read your entire file within 10 days. How bout that? More useful? eh?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:05 am

FZJ80 wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Dean Tom reads everything. If he likes you enough, you'll get in pretty quickly. Otherwise you can be sent to faculty and student reviewers for a second, third, etc opinion.

Fascinating, Dean Tom is even more amazing than I had thought.

Also, I'm not here to brag about my experience at Boalt. Just trying to help the process along while supplying real-life information...

edit: i just realized my real point. If you go under review, odds are that Dean Tom has read your entire file within 10 days. How bout that? More useful? eh?

Very impressive. But I'm sure that some files take longer than others, and he probably goes through weeks when he reads a lot or weeks when he does other activities.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:15 am

That said, I'm going to hop out of this thread for a while and get some fresh air. It's silly to let oneself get neurotic about any school, even one as wonderful as Boalt. Staying around here for too long, you risk losing track of the big picture.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 am

managamy wrote:That said, I'm going to hop out of this thread for a while and get some fresh air. It's silly to let oneself get neurotic about any school, even one as wonderful as Boalt. Staying around here for too long, you risk losing track of the big picture.

So see you around here tomorrow @ 8 AM PST?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:30 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:That said, I'm going to hop out of this thread for a while and get some fresh air. It's silly to let oneself get neurotic about any school, even one as wonderful as Boalt. Staying around here for too long, you risk losing track of the big picture.

So see you around here tomorrow @ 8 AM PST?

I'm going to be sleeping until much later, I'm afraid! :P It's been a tiring weekend for me.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 am

I think this week could see more action, as next week the holiday "weekend" begins. Hope it's a happy monday for all the Berkeley-threaders.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:08 pm

My application just switched to "under review". Suffice to say, this is not going to help me become any less neurotic about checking my application status.

aimhigh09

Postby aimhigh09 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm

knola002 wrote:My application just switched to "under review". Suffice to say, this is not going to help me become any less neurotic about checking my application status.

Good luck with that. I've been UR since 11/9 and no amount of status-checking seems to be speeding the process along. :?

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
knola002 wrote:My application just switched to "under review". Suffice to say, this is not going to help me become any less neurotic about checking my application status.

Good luck with that. I've been UR since 11/9 and no amount of status-checking seems to be speeding the process along. :?

+1

Been under review since 11/2.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”