Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
IHaveDietMoxie
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 pm

FZJ80 wrote:"Students are graded on a curve which strictly limits recognition for excellence. At Berkeley Law, the grading system has remained constant for more than 20 years. There has been no grade inflation, even though the credentials of our students - whether measured by undergraduate G.P.A., LSAT score or prior life attainments - are far stronger than they were 20 years ago.

With a fixed curve and a talented student body, an Honors grade represents a substantial achievement and a High Honors grade an outstanding one. For internal purposes, the Berkeley campus translates both Honors and High Honors grades into its system as A's."

My GF is a 1L. The students are very chill and are not cutthroat towards each other whatsoever.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/1050.htm

Anecdotally, I can attest to this as well. good luck to everyone, by the way, submitting after dec release, ucb is one of my top choices 8)

amidea
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby amidea » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:53 am

managamy wrote:[


Definitely a compliment. I would actually love to go to school with you because then I'd know that the best schools wanted me.

User avatar
Lyov Myshkin
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:58 am

SolarWind wrote:
Celibidache wrote:
driveshaft wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:if i got into yale, id still pick harvard every day of the week and twice on sunday.


For real.


Oh yeah.


hear, hear


no.. here, here.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:18 am

Awesome transposition from the Harvard thread! I think that HLS and Boalt generate the most fervent love from TLSers among all schools.

User avatar
Lyov Myshkin
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:43 am

managamy wrote:Awesome transposition from the Harvard thread! I think that HLS and Boalt generate the most fervent love from TLSers among all schools.


haha, i was wondering if anyone was gonna catch it. :wink:

raisinbran
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby raisinbran » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:39 am

UR 10/22ers, are you splitters as I am? I have lost hope of hearing from Cal until well into the new year. So much for hearing Dean Tom's calming voice on the phone.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Neelio » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:43 am

10/22 UR as well... I don't consider myself a splitter, but 165/3.9 isn't too promising either. We shall see what happens. I've lost hope as only URMs on LSN have been accepted with my scores. I'm a minority, but no URM. Damn.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:51 am

UR 10/22. Not a splitter.
Last edited by kittenmittons on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smiley
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby smiley » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:07 pm

10/22 and definitely a high gpa splitter

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:08 pm

10/22 here as well, but i don't think i'm a splitter.

MeasuredOptimism
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:54 pm

UR 10/22. Not a splitter, around 75% for both.

I assume we will be hearing soon that we went to committee review?

User avatar
Saya
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:33 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Saya » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Another 10/22. I didn't know there were so many of us! Maybe they'll have another round next week? Or am I dreaming.

protokurios
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby protokurios » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:17 pm

UR 10/19. Around both 75%s.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Saya wrote:Another 10/22. I didn't know there were so many of us! Maybe they'll have another round next week? Or am I dreaming.


I've been having dreams about my Boalt application for a while. They're called nightmares. :wink:

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:18 pm

MeasuredOptimism wrote:UR 10/22. Not a splitter, around 75% for both.

I assume we will be hearing soon that we went to committee review?


What is this committee review and what's the difference between this and regular UR?

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby thalassocrat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:21 pm

UR 10/22, right between median and 75% for both.

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
MeasuredOptimism wrote:UR 10/22. Not a splitter, around 75% for both.

I assume we will be hearing soon that we went to committee review?


What is this committee review and what's the difference between this and regular UR?


At Boalt, initially Dean Tom reviews the files himself. From there he admits some, I think rejects some, and the rest are sent to the admissions committee. That's what committee review is.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
MeasuredOptimism wrote:UR 10/22. Not a splitter, around 75% for both.

I assume we will be hearing soon that we went to committee review?


What is this committee review and what's the difference between this and regular UR?


Committee review is like a normal Admissions Committee-style review (except with student representatives if you checked the box on your application), and it usually takes place in the New Year. The difference from the first version of UR is that Dean Tom individually goes over applications and makes decisions in the first round; he admits the people who should be auto-admits and rejects the people who should be auto-rejects. Going to committee review is certainly not a disaster, since generlaly 2/3 of the admitted pool does not receive a decision until that stage.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:31 pm

So it's kind of like a WL? Can you sumbit additional essays at that point?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:So it's kind of like a WL? Can you sumbit additional essays at that point?


It's better than a wait-list, I think. Probably one should think of it as the real review process and the Dean Tom review as a priority review. Usually, 2/3 of a top law school's acceptances don't come off the wait-list. On the additional essay, I don't think it would make a big difference unless you feel that you omitted something serious from your initial application.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 pm

managamy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:So it's kind of like a WL? Can you sumbit additional essays at that point?


It's better than a wait-list, I think. Probably one should think of it as the real review process and the Dean Tom review as a priority review. Usually, 2/3 of a top law school's acceptances don't come off the wait-list. On the additional essay, I don't think it would make a big difference unless you feel that you omitted something serious from your initial application.


Well I omitted a "Why Boalt" essay and sent in a 2 pg PS :( Post-app regret is killing me.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:So it's kind of like a WL? Can you sumbit additional essays at that point?


It's better than a wait-list, I think. Probably one should think of it as the real review process and the Dean Tom review as a priority review. Usually, 2/3 of a top law school's acceptances don't come off the wait-list. On the additional essay, I don't think it would make a big difference unless you feel that you omitted something serious from your initial application.


Well I omitted a "Why Boalt" essay and sent in a 2 pg PS :( Post-app regret is killing me.


Um. I did likewise, and am likewise suffering from post-app regret. However, Dean Tom has already admitted several people who just wrote a 2-page PS, so it's clearly not a deal-breaker.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 pm

managamy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:So it's kind of like a WL? Can you sumbit additional essays at that point?


It's better than a wait-list, I think. Probably one should think of it as the real review process and the Dean Tom review as a priority review. Usually, 2/3 of a top law school's acceptances don't come off the wait-list. On the additional essay, I don't think it would make a big difference unless you feel that you omitted something serious from your initial application.


Well I omitted a "Why Boalt" essay and sent in a 2 pg PS :( Post-app regret is killing me.


Um. I did likewise, and am likewise suffering from post-app regret. However, Dean Tom has already admitted several people who just wrote a 2-page PS, so it's clearly not a deal-breaker.



Not with your numbers but for the rest of us mortals it might very well be! I also suffer from utter lack of softs, which I have heard is a big deal for Boalt.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Boalt is one of the top three soft-lovers with YLS and SLS. A small part of my concern about my non-news from them is that it bodes ill for my chances at the other two schools. My softs are not eye-popping either.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27945
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Managamy. Seriously. You're going to get into SLS. At worst a waitlist from Boalt. Lack of softs will not matter.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:04 pm

VoidSix wrote:Managamy. Seriously. You're going to get into SLS. At worst a waitlist from Boalt. Lack of softs will not matter.


Thanks for the +1!

You think that Boalt is more selective than SLS?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests