Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
southxii

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby southxii » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Wow. Anyone else UR since 10/22?

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:38 pm

southxii wrote:Wow. Anyone else UR since 10/22?

longer. since around 10/10 i think. don't remember the exact date. it is probably unlikely that either you or i are accepted by the Dean review alone. if you get in, expect it to be by committee review.

southxii

Postby southxii » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Awesome. I figured as much. Gracias.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 pm

gotmilk? wrote:

longer. since around 10/10 i think. don't remember the exact date. it is probably unlikely that either you or i are accepted by the Dean review alone. if you get in, expect it to be by committee review.

The two of you make me feel much better...UR since 11/9, I felt like a loser.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:42 pm

managamy wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:

The two of you make me feel much better...UR since 11/9, I felt like a loser.

unlike you, i also don't have any acceptances yet from any of my top choices (duke, gtown, and vandy so far) (i obviously am assuming you think highly of harvard).

edit: my 69th post! YES!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:44 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
managamy wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:

The two of you make me feel much better...UR since 11/9, I felt like a loser with regards to Boalt.

Fixed. Sorry for misleading language!

Saya

Postby Saya » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:50 pm

managamy wrote:The two of you make me feel much better...UR since 11/9, I felt like a loser with regards to Boalt.
You're greedy. :?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:09 pm

Saya wrote:
managamy wrote:The two of you make me feel much better...UR since 11/9, I felt like a loser with regards to Boalt.

I plead guilty to the charge of academic / professional avarice and ask for clemency. What sentence do you impose?

smiley

Postby smiley » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm

i've been under review since 10/22. lame.

Saya

Postby Saya » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:22 pm

managamy wrote:
Saya wrote:

I plead guilty to the charge of academic / professional avarice and ask for clemency. What sentence do you impose?
How does a rejection from Berkeley, Stanford, and Yale sound? I mean, you'd only have to spend the next 3 years at Harvard. Horrible, horrible.

Or even better, have your Harvard acceptance revoked so you can get into Berkeley. Since you want it so much.

smiley wrote:i've been under review since 10/22. lame.
Me, too. Me, too. :cry:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:29 pm

Saya wrote:
managamy wrote:
Saya wrote:

How does a rejection from Berkeley, Stanford, and Yale sound? I mean, you'd only have to spend the next 3 years at Harvard. Horrible, horrible.

Or even better, have your Harvard acceptance revoked so you can get into Berkeley. Since you want it so much.

You are truly brutal...but I enjoy your dry sense of humor. :wink:

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Saya wrote:
managamy wrote:
Saya wrote:

Eh...if he wants it, he wants it. Kinda like when Helpermonkey complained about getting a 173 on the LSAT. Ludicrous to some (ok, to most)...but at the end of the day, Managamy is fully justified in pining for Berk if that's what he wants.

That said, yes...his "worst case scenario" is hardly a tear-jerker. :wink:

Managamy and Saya, I hope you both get in. :D

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:45 pm

[quote="Tangerine Gleam]

Eh...if he wants it, he wants it. Kinda like when Helpermonkey complained about getting a 173 on the LSAT. Ludicrous to some (ok, to most)...but at the end of the day, Managamy is fully justified in pining for Berk if that's what he wants.

That said, yes...his "worst case scenario" is hardly a tear-jerker. :wink:

Managamy and Saya, I hope you both get in. :D[/quote]

Thanks! This thread is easily one of the most entertaining in the entire forum. Boalt seems to attract those with a great sense of humor.

Full disclosure: I was initially annoyed when I got a 178 on the September test, since I would have had a 180 if I had answered one more question correctly. :oops: :shock: Then I realized that I did better than on any of my PTs, and kicked myself for disgusting hubris. Sometimes I just can't help it though.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:57 pm

managamy wrote:
Thanks! This thread is easily one of the most entertaining in the entire forum. Boalt seems to attract those with a great sense of humor.

Full disclosure: I was initially annoyed when I got a 178 on the September test, since I would have had a 180 if I had answered one more question correctly. :oops: :shock: Then I realized that I did better than on any of my PTs, and kicked myself for disgusting hubris. Sometimes I just can't help it though.

wanna trade? i'll give you my 169 for your 178. to some extent i understand your feelings. but i have restraint to not post them on tls.

/kumbaya

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:24 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
managamy wrote:

wanna trade? i'll give you my 169 for your 178. to some extent i understand your feelings. but i have restraint to not post them on tls.

/kumbaya

If you understand that appalling reaction, you're more understanding than me. Looking back at it, I have a hard time forgiving myself for it.

EDIT: And I wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place if not for Tangerine's remark above about someone who complained about their 173. At least, I didn't post my own reaction at the time but only now, when I can recognize it for the lunacy that it was.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:35 am

managamy wrote:If you understand that appalling reaction, you're more understanding than me. Looking back at it, I have a hard time forgiving myself for it.

EDIT: And I wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place if not for Tangerine's remark above about someone who complained about their 173. At least, I didn't post my own reaction at the time but only now, when I can recognize it for the lunacy that it was.

I totally get what you're saying... but to be fair, it's always easier to be humble when you've got the ideal score. A 178 is no 173 (or 160 anything).

Either way, you deserve it. Good job.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:39 am

managamy wrote:Full disclosure: I was initially annoyed when I got a 178 on the September test, since I would have had a 180 if I had answered one more question correctly. :oops: :shock: Then I realized that I did better than on any of my PTs, and kicked myself for disgusting hubris. Sometimes I just can't help it though.

I was the opposite. I was ecstatic with my 173, even though I had four 180's on timed PTs. My range was about 171-180 and I figured anything 172+ gave me an almost equal shot at my top choice (S-ford).

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 am

VoidSix wrote:
managamy wrote:Full disclosure: I was initially annoyed when I got a 178 on the September test, since I would have had a 180 if I had answered one more question correctly. :oops: :shock: Then I realized that I did better than on any of my PTs, and kicked myself for disgusting hubris. Sometimes I just can't help it though.

I was the opposite. I was ecstatic with my 173, even though I had four 180's on timed PTs. My range was about 171-180 and I figured anything 172+ gave me an almost equal shot at my top choice (S-ford).

Perfectionism is a useful but unattractive and often self-detrimental habit. I've wasted needless hours worrying over a single adjective or adverb in a 15-page paper, when I could have saved the time for a more amusing activity.

It would be so much healthier to be like you; maybe I can learn to cultivate that attitude eventually.

amidea

Postby amidea » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:13 am

managamy wrote:
VoidSix wrote:

Perfectionism is a useful but unattractive and often self-detrimental habit. I've wasted needless hours worrying over a single adjective or adverb in a 15-page paper, when I could have saved the time for a more amusing activity.

It would be so much healthier to be like you; maybe I can learn to cultivate that attitude eventually.

As much as I want to get into all these schools you're applying to, I'm not sure I want to go to law school with you... You're going to be bad for the curve.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:45 pm

[quote="amidea]

As much as I want to get into all these schools you're applying to, I'm not sure I want to go to law school with you... You're going to be bad for the curve.[/quote]

I can't decide whether I should be insulted or complimented, but I'm going to assume a compliment. :|

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:16 pm

amidea wrote:
managamy wrote:
VoidSix wrote:

As much as I want to get into all these schools you're applying to, I'm not sure I want to go to law school with you... You're going to be bad for the curve.

Unless you're both at Berkeley with NO GRADES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Or does that mean there is still a curve?)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:17 pm

Sort of. A certain percentage of people get honors and etc. I can't remember if it's Berkeley that does HP and LP, too.

FZJ80

Postby FZJ80 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:03 pm

"Students are graded on a curve which strictly limits recognition for excellence. At Berkeley Law, the grading system has remained constant for more than 20 years. There has been no grade inflation, even though the credentials of our students - whether measured by undergraduate G.P.A., LSAT score or prior life attainments - are far stronger than they were 20 years ago.

With a fixed curve and a talented student body, an Honors grade represents a substantial achievement and a High Honors grade an outstanding one. For internal purposes, the Berkeley campus translates both Honors and High Honors grades into its system as A's."

My GF is a 1L. The students are very chill and are not cutthroat towards each other whatsoever.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/1050.htm

Saya

Postby Saya » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:11 pm

FZJ80 wrote:My GF is a 1L. The students are very chill and are not cutthroat towards each other whatsoever.
I love Berkeley! <3

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Saya wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:My GF is a 1L. The students are very chill and are not cutthroat towards each other whatsoever.
I love Berkeley! <3

Are you a UG there?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”