Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tintin

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:43 pm

boilercat wrote:is there any way to make it clear to Berk that it's easily my top choice... I WANT THIS SCHOOL SO BAD

I gave them targeted letters, a 4 page essay, and my firstborn. no luck.....

knola002

Postby knola002 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:48 pm

tintin wrote:
boilercat wrote:is there any way to make it clear to Berk that it's easily my top choice... I WANT THIS SCHOOL SO BAD

I gave them targeted letters, a 4 page essay, and my firstborn. no luck.....
Only the firstborn? That might work for most schools, but, if their PS is anything to go by, Boalt wants twice as much as other schools. Better get that second kid packed off.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:49 pm

thorntll wrote:How is this possible?! They've accepted like 50 people all week... At this rate, it will take awhile to get to 800.

I bet they accepted a lot more than that. There are only about 50 acceptances on LSN, but a lot of people aren't on LSN. The actual number of acceptances is probably in the 100-200 range.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:54 pm

I made it pretty clear in my Stanford PS that they were my first choice. In fact I think I used the words "...Stanford is my first choice for law school." But I guess you've already submitted so that's no longer an option.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:56 pm

Went complete today. ~2 page PS, 1.5 page DS, no targeted letter. We'll see.

MahaloMontana

Postby MahaloMontana » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:57 pm

eas331 wrote:
Mr.Feeny wrote:
faculty and student review are mutually exclusive options? or am i misinterpreting the above discussion?

Sorry -- didn't mean to make things complicated. There was just one question on Berkeley's application asking whether it was OK to have students review the file. It stated that the applicant's answer to this question would not impact the application. It's probably no big deal either way.

I am still curious when the student reviewers come into play, though. Anyone know if they're looking at applications now, helping to move things along in the early stages, or if they're part of a later review process?

Hi all-
I went to one of the admissions meetings and the one of the staff clarified this. Basically, the deal is that if you don't get accepted outright by the admissions staff, but they like you enough, your app goes to committee review. The committee consists of faculty and students. If for some reason some of the info on your app is highly private and or personal (e.g. you wrote about something in your personal statement that you'd feel uncomfortable having a peer (and potential future classmate) know about), you can opt out of having students present during your committee review. The staff member recommended against opting students out unless you are highly sensitive about your application, as she believes you will get a more well-rounded review with students present, i.e. your peers may see potential in you that is not immediately apparent to faculty.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:18 pm

I keep telling myself it is only 218 PST, but I have a sinking feeling today is a day w no movement...

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Neelio wrote:I keep telling myself it is only 218 PST, but I have a sinking feeling today is a day w no movement...

Me too :(

wired

Postby wired » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Neelio wrote:I keep telling myself it is only 218 PST, but I have a sinking feeling today is a day w no movement...

You got into Cornell today! You got your candy!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 pm

wired wrote:
knola002 wrote:My app just went complete. Is there a consensus on how long it takes them to render a decision?

No general consensus. If you're an auto-admit, you should hear soon. If you're not, be prepared for a long haul.

There's no such thing as an auto-admit here. I speak from bitter experience.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:11 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

+a lot. I have a feeling that they're done for the week.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm sure that this question has already been asked, and I'm equally sure that V6 is going to LOL at me for asking it, but...

Does Boalt notify you if your file has been held for committee review, or does it just sit there at "under review" until they're completely done?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:18 pm

I read somewhere (perhaps in this thread) that someone got an email to that effect.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 pm

crackberry wrote:

I made it pretty clear in my Stanford PS that they were my first choice. In fact I think I used the words "...Stanford is my first choice for law school." But I guess you've already submitted so that's no longer an option.

I haven't submitted yet. I'm definitely going to make it clear in my PS that I would attend if admitted.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Withdrawal all your other applications and cc the withdrawal e-mails to Berk.

Haha if it wasn't insanely risky I'd do it.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:47 pm

boilercat wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I haven't submitted yet. I'm definitely going to make it clear in my PS that I would attend if admitted.

How impressive do you think that is, though? Wouldn't it be easy for applicants simply to stick a sentence at the end of each version of their PS, claiming that "I will definitely attend X school if you decide to honor me by admitting me." I chose not to write such a sentence for fear of sounding insincere.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 pm

managamy wrote:
boilercat wrote:
crackberry wrote:

How impressive do you think that is, though? Wouldn't it be easy for applicants simply to stick a sentence at the end of each version of their PS, claiming that "I will definitely attend X school if you decide to honor me by admitting me." I chose not to write such a sentence for fear of sounding insincere.

See that's the problem. There's an inherent inefficiency since there's an information breakdown. I would be willing to apply binding but that's what ED is for. And I couldn't do ED!
I'm hoping they read this forum and figure out that I REALLY WANT BERKELEY. :mrgreen:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 pm

managamy wrote:
boilercat wrote:
crackberry wrote:

That's totally unethical. Given that we're all aspiring attorneys, I think writing that for more than one school constitutes a serious breach of ethics. I only wrote it for Stanford. Stanford is the only school that I can say for sure I would attend if admitted. That's the way it should be.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:38 pm

[quote="crackberry]

That's totally unethical. Given that we're all aspiring attorneys, I think writing that for more than one school constitutes a serious breach of ethics. I only wrote it for Stanford. Stanford is the only school that I can say for sure I would attend if admitted. That's the way it should be.[/quote]

I agree, but it doesn't mean that people won't do it.

EDIT: That line doesn't work for me anyway, since there's no school about which I could say for sure that I would attend if admitted.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:20 am

I will only use that line on Berk since I know H and S are less than a 3% chance. :mrgreen:

knola002

Postby knola002 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:33 am

crackberry wrote: I only wrote it for Stanford. Stanford is the only school that I can say for sure I would attend if admitted. That's the way it should be.

Stanford sticker over a H or Y w/ scholarship? I know it's not an extremely plausible hypothetical, but stranger things have happened.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43 am

knola002 wrote:Stanford sticker over a H or Y w/ scholarship? I know it's not an extremely plausible hypothetical, but stranger things have happened.

I don't think HYS do merit scholarships-- they only do need-based aid. So that choice will never need to be made...

(Unless there are huge differences in amount of grant $$$ in need-based.)

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:59 am

parker09 wrote:
knola002 wrote:Stanford sticker over a H or Y w/ scholarship? I know it's not an extremely plausible hypothetical, but stranger things have happened.

I don't think HYS do merit scholarships-- they only do need-based aid. So that choice will never need to be made...

(Unless there are huge differences in amount of grant $$$ in need-based.)

TITCR. And I would pick Stanford at sticker over H or Y at sticker.

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:43 am

anyone think we'll hear more decisions today?

I for one doubt it.... :roll:

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:43 am

tintin wrote:anyone think we'll hear more decisions today?

I for one doubt it.... :roll:

No

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”