Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr.Feeny

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Mr.Feeny » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:20 pm

im just wondering how dean tom has not yet called me, as i have exhibited loyalty through my mentoring of cory, topanga, and shawn throughout their adolescent and adult lives, in addition to my thorough knowledge of gardening and making stern facial expressions

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:30 pm

aetennis17 wrote:Just had a really discouraging meeting with our pre-law advisor.

I have a 164 & 3.99 gpa from a top univ with strong LOR's, (& what I believe to be a) great & unique PS, and above-average softs....

is there really no chance in hell that dean tom will accept me? even if I beg?

I think "no chance in hell" is way too strong. You have a shot imo. Maybe not a great one, but a decent one nonetheless if your softs/ps are really great. Not much you can do at this point, but hope for the best. Good luck!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:43 pm

aetennis17 wrote:Just had a really discouraging meeting with our pre-law advisor.

I have a 164 & 3.99 gpa from a top univ with strong LOR's, (& what I believe to be a) great & unique PS, and above-average softs....

Basically, you have everything in line except the LSAT, and Berkeley is generally a GPA-happy school. So you should have a perfectly decent chance, although obviously not an overwhelming one. Berkeley admissions patterns are extremely difficult to predict, since their approach is truly holistic. Just don't worry about it and hope for the best!

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:13 pm

managamy wrote:
Basically, you have everything in line except the LSAT, and Berkeley is generally a GPA-happy school. So you should have a perfectly decent chance, although obviously not an overwhelming one. Berkeley admissions patterns are extremely difficult to predict, since their approach is truly holistic. Just don't worry about it and hope for the best!

they seem pretty lsat happy this cycle....theyve been accepting high lsat / low gpa folks pretty much exclusively thus far.

not that im bitter or anything... :roll:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:18 pm

tintin wrote:
managamy wrote:

they seem pretty lsat happy this cycle....theyve been accepting high lsat / low gpa folks pretty much exclusively thus far.

As a clever poster on the NYU thread argued, they may be trying to get the high LSAT people early in order to address a relative weakness. Meanwhile, NYU is going after high GPAs early to address their relative weakness. I haven't yet gotten a call, though, so the high-LSAT trend isn't universal. :lol:

Not that I'm bitter or anything either. :wink:

Saya

Postby Saya » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:21 pm

managamy wrote:As a clever poster on the NYU thread argued, they may be trying to get the high LSAT people early in order to address a relative weakness. Meanwhile, NYU is going after high GPAs early to address their relative weakness. I haven't yet gotten a call, though, so the high-LSAT trend isn't universal. :lol:

Hard to be bitter when you've got Harvard in the bag, eh? Not that I'm bitter or anything. 8)

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:43 pm

managamy wrote:
tintin wrote:
managamy wrote:

As a clever poster on the NYU thread argued, they may be trying to get the high LSAT people early in order to address a relative weakness. Meanwhile, NYU is going after high GPAs early to address their relative weakness. I haven't yet gotten a call, though, so the high-LSAT trend isn't universal. :lol:

I'll trade my Berkeley acceptance with your Harvard one...

Bleh... looks like I'm not getting a JR1... not that I'm bitter or anything :cry:

edit: <-- high LSAT, slightly lower GPA here

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:48 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:

Bleh... looks like I'm not getting a JR1... not that I'm bitter or anything :cry:

Just curious, how do you make marginal higher-lower comparisons between the different scales of LSAT and GPA? I understand in the case of splitters and reverse-splitters, but slight differences seem harder to relate.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:53 pm

managamy wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:

Just curious, how do you make marginal higher-lower comparisons between the different scales of LSAT and GPA? I understand in the case of splitters and reverse-splitters, but slight differences seem harder to relate.

At 75% for HYS for LSAT, above 25% but below median for GPA. Not quite splitter territory, but GPA is definitely weaker.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Mr.Feeny wrote:im just wondering how dean tom has not yet called me, as i have exhibited loyalty through my mentoring of cory, topanga, and shawn throughout their adolescent and adult lives, in addition to my thorough knowledge of gardening and making stern facial expressions

A mere phone call probably wouldn't express Dean Tom's appreciation of everything that you've done. I'm sure that he's trying to rearrange his schedule so that he can travel to where you live and congratulate you in person. :wink:

Good luck! :D :D

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:25 pm

managamy wrote:
Mr.Feeny wrote:im just wondering how dean tom has not yet called me, as i have exhibited loyalty through my mentoring of cory, topanga, and shawn throughout their adolescent and adult lives, in addition to my thorough knowledge of gardening and making stern facial expressions

A mere phone call probably wouldn't express Dean Tom's appreciation of everything that you've done. I'm sure that he's trying to rearrange his schedule so that he can travel to where you live and congratulate you in person. :wink:

This belongs in the USS Optimism thread :D

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Oli wrote:
managamy wrote:

This belongs in the USS Optimism thread :D

I was actually trying to emulate the tone of those posts, so thank you! :)

lsnoob

Postby lsnoob » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:48 pm

polydolly wrote:
lsnoob wrote:So, those admitted via phone already, which phone number from your status checker did Dean Tom call you on?

I have listed a daytime phone number and my cell phone number. Curious if I should be obsessing over one or the other. Thanks!

+1

anybody?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:03 pm

lsnoob wrote:
polydolly wrote:
lsnoob wrote:So, those admitted via phone already, which phone number from your status checker did Dean Tom call you on?

I have listed a daytime phone number and my cell phone number. Curious if I should be obsessing over one or the other. Thanks!

+1

anybody?

I imagine that the admits are still too intoxicated with the elixir of euphoria to answer this prosaic question. But it would be nice to know.

truevines

Postby truevines » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 pm

I think you have a shot but not now. You probably would be accepted after the committee review if any.
So, don't worry now if you don't get a call from Dean Tom. No news is good news for you, at least until February.

Laina

Postby Laina » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:06 pm

managamy wrote:
lsnoob wrote:
polydolly wrote:

+1

anybody?

I imagine that the admits are still too intoxicated with the elixir of euphoria to answer this prosaic question. But it would be nice to know.

Hah, sorry guys. I apparently either didn't put a daytime number on the application (or they didn't put it on my status checker), but he called me on my cell. And for the question upthread, I called back and he immediately knew who I was and remembered meeting me at an info session a couple of months ago.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:04 am

tintin wrote:
managamy wrote:

I don't believe I qualify under that criterion.

Eigenvalue A

Postby Eigenvalue A » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:06 am

^ditto

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:10 am

crackberry wrote:
tintin wrote:
managamy wrote:

Neither do I...

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:16 am

maggiebre wrote:
crackberry wrote:
tintin wrote:
managamy wrote:

Neither do I...

sorry, i meant high lsat people AND people some people with low (for berkeley) gpas and high lsats. not exclusively one or the other....

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:17 am

I wonder if this stuff always happens at Berkeley....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v0d25QydCU

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 am

Legacy316 wrote:I wonder if this stuff always happens at Berkeley....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v0d25QydCU

The lighting looks different as it switches from Yoo to the guy in black...not quite sure if it's real.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:34 am

Yeah it's a spoof.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:38 am

I wonder if the professor they were making fun of actually did get fired.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:42 am

Still on their faculty roster, so probably not. I would refuse to take his classes, though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”