Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 pm

JohnYuu wrote:To those of you that missed the original call and called back, did he have to look up your file first before congratulating you, or did he know you by name?


As soon as he heard my last name, he literally immediately said "Hi [my first name]." He also immediately (i.e. not enough time for him to look up my file) knew where I'm currently living and what type of law I intend to pursue. Very personalized attention...I was impressed.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:21 pm

I noticed something concerning the tweets from their Twitter account. They say that "WE ARE reading furiously," rather than "I AM reading furiously," as one would expect if Dean Tom were the only person reading the files. I'm wondering if this wording means that the Committee is already reviewing some applications.

lsnoob
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby lsnoob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:45 pm

So, those admitted via phone already, which phone number from your status checker did Dean Tom call you on?

I have listed a daytime phone number and my cell phone number. Curious if I should be obsessing over one or the other. Thanks!

JohnYuu
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby JohnYuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:50 pm

managamy wrote:I noticed something concerning the tweets from their Twitter account. They say that "WE ARE reading furiously," rather than "I AM reading furiously," as one would expect if Dean Tom were the only person reading the files. I'm wondering if this wording means that the Committee is already reviewing some applications.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Dean Tom has an assistant or two (not part of the committee) that reads the files with him initially. I'm pretty sure this is either on the Berk website or the TLS interview with Dean Tom.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:02 pm

JohnYuu wrote:
managamy wrote:I noticed something concerning the tweets from their Twitter account. They say that "WE ARE reading furiously," rather than "I AM reading furiously," as one would expect if Dean Tom were the only person reading the files. I'm wondering if this wording means that the Committee is already reviewing some applications.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Dean Tom has an assistant or two (not part of the committee) that reads the files with him initially. I'm pretty sure this is either on the Berk website or the TLS interview with Dean Tom.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the committee doesn't convene until January. Current Boalt students, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

JohnYuu
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby JohnYuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:05 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

He has four other staff, he reads 2/3 of the applications himself.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:06 pm

JohnYuu wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

He has four other staff, he reads 2/3 of the applications himself.


Thanks for taking the time to answer the question so thoroughly!

JohnYuu
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby JohnYuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm sure you knew that posting a picture of yourself would get you special treatment.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:17 pm

JohnYuu wrote:I'm sure you knew that posting a picture of yourself would get you special treatment.


:P :P :P I'm glad that my avatar triggers your viewing pleasure as much as it does mine. You're kinder than Ruleser the Bat, who called her pose "hunching."

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Rotor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Ha! Seriously, any guesses as to why Berkeley excludes NU from the list? Is it because NU is especially generous with its scholarship money (especially for those applicants who are strong enough to get into Berkeley), and Berkeley doesn't have the $$$ to match the NU offers? I wonder what the story is.

This was our 0L hypothesis last year.

Also, pretty much everything Everyone else said has been accurate. Not many are matched-- until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know anyone in the class who had been. As a public school, the focus is on need based aid.

User avatar
polydolly
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby polydolly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 pm

lsnoob wrote:So, those admitted via phone already, which phone number from your status checker did Dean Tom call you on?

I have listed a daytime phone number and my cell phone number. Curious if I should be obsessing over one or the other. Thanks!




+1

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby bilbobaggins » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:30 pm

JohnYuu wrote:I'm sure you knew that posting a picture of yourself would get you special treatment.


Hahahaha. Creeper!

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:07 am

VoidSix wrote:I think it's actually very far from a guarantee recently. As in, most of the time it doesn't get taken. I think people have had more success with smaller scholarships from Chicago or NYU than with larger ones from MVPDCG.


I don't know for sure on this, but at one event I heard some of the admissions staff talking about how they don't lose many cross-admits to Penn, Mich, or Virginia. They therefore aren't too inclined to match scholarships from those schools, especially if it's a large one and it would require a big financial sacrifice for Berkeley. I think they are more concerned with wooing admits from CCN. This might not be completely accurate, but it seems to be what happens with the matching program.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Amelie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 am

worldtraveler wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I think it's actually very far from a guarantee recently. As in, most of the time it doesn't get taken. I think people have had more success with smaller scholarships from Chicago or NYU than with larger ones from MVPDCG.


I don't know for sure on this, but at one event I heard some of the admissions staff talking about how they don't lose many cross-admits to Penn, Mich, or Virginia. They therefore aren't too inclined to match scholarships from those schools, especially if it's a large one and it would require a big financial sacrifice for Berkeley. I think they are more concerned with wooing admits from CCN. This might not be completely accurate, but it seems to be what happens with the matching program.


This is what I figured. I wonder if they'll up their scholarships at all because of the tuition hikes? I could see their yield taking a hit.

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby catharsis » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:06 pm

my friends, and bless their hearts, are trying to convince me that since Boalt offered to fly me out for the visit that they will give me some merit aid. is there any truth to that because i was under the impression that they offer to fly everyone out to visit?

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 pm

catharsis wrote:my friends, and bless their hearts, are trying to convince me that since Boalt offered to fly me out for the visit that they will give me some merit aid. is there any truth to that because i was under the impression that they offer to fly everyone out to visit?


Haha. My family has been doing the same. I don't think there is any relation...however I also doubt that ALL admits are flown out...maybe just Dean Tom's special draft picks from early in the cycle?

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:02 pm

do we think there will be more calls on monday?

hiro86
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby hiro86 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:57 pm

catharsis wrote:my friends, and bless their hearts, are trying to convince me that since Boalt offered to fly me out for the visit that they will give me some merit aid. is there any truth to that because i was under the impression that they offer to fly everyone out to visit?

I thought Berkeley only offered need-based aid? I could be wrong though.

Cooley70121
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Cooley70121 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:35 pm

With regard to Berkeley's matching scholarship program, do they dole out offers for those admiited to HYS? I'm in at Harvard and am wondering if I need to apply to another school in search of a scholarship so that Berkeley will give me merit aid. I would like my Harvard admit to entice them to give me a scholarship on its own, but I am not sure of a politically correct way to broach the subject with the adcoms.

User avatar
amandap
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby amandap » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Have you already choosen Berkeley over Harvard?

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:49 pm

go to harvard and donate your berkeley acceptance to me....

:lol:

User avatar
ChildPlease
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby ChildPlease » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Does anyone know how much tuition is expected to go up?

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby bilbobaggins » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm

They fly out everyone who is within flying distance.

User avatar
Saya
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:33 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Saya » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:48 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:They fly out everyone who is within flying distance.
lolol. How exactly is this defined?

aetennis17
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby aetennis17 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Just had a really discouraging meeting with our pre-law advisor.

I have a 164 & 3.99 gpa from a top univ with strong LOR's, (& what I believe to be a) great & unique PS, and above-average softs....

is there really no chance in hell that dean tom will accept me? even if I beg?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”