Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby ughOSU » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:17 pm

When I met with an admissions counselor there they told me that they already know they have a great school and think people wast time in their PS telling them how great of a school they have. Not that you can't pull it off, but don't be too flattering or they may tune out over the course of a 4 page PS. Mine was ~3.5.

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby michstudent10 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Does anyone else's application status say "Your file is complete"? Does this mean it is ready for review or that they have already made a decision?

Haha I should also probably preface that by saying Berkeley is my dream school & if they had early decision I would have done it. Soo you can probably understand my excitement/nerves! :)

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:48 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Does anyone else's application status say "Your file is complete"? Does this mean it is ready for review or that they have already made a decision?

Haha I should also probably preface that by saying Berkeley is my dream school & if they had early decision I would have done it. Soo you can probably understand my excitement/nerves! :)

Mine says my file is under review and if other LSAC-provided status checkers are any indication, "your file is complete" does not equal a decision.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby wired » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:49 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Does anyone else's application status say "Your file is complete"? Does this mean it is ready for review or that they have already made a decision?

Haha I should also probably preface that by saying Berkeley is my dream school & if they had early decision I would have done it. Soo you can probably understand my excitement/nerves! :)



Yes I am complete right now. It means the application is ready for review. It will change to "Under review" once it has been sent on to the committee that will determine your fate.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:52 pm

wired wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Does anyone else's application status say "Your file is complete"? Does this mean it is ready for review or that they have already made a decision?

Haha I should also probably preface that by saying Berkeley is my dream school & if they had early decision I would have done it. Soo you can probably understand my excitement/nerves! :)



Yes I am complete right now. It means the application is ready for review. It will change to "Under review" once it has been sent on to the committee that will determine your fate.


+1 How long did it take people to move to under review?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28153
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:57 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
wired wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Does anyone else's application status say "Your file is complete"? Does this mean it is ready for review or that they have already made a decision?

Haha I should also probably preface that by saying Berkeley is my dream school & if they had early decision I would have done it. Soo you can probably understand my excitement/nerves! :)



Yes I am complete right now. It means the application is ready for review. It will change to "Under review" once it has been sent on to the committee that will determine your fate.


+1 How long did it take people to move to under review?


5 days.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:02 pm

VoidSix wrote:
5 days.


Cool. Now that I got the fee waiver and have sent the app in, I WANNA HEAR! haha

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28153
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 pm

Yeah. Although Berkeley is a black box, I think I will probably get in, so I am keeping my phone strapped on me at all times, lol. First acceptance last year was 11-04, so if someone really excites him next week could be the first week we see a TLS member get accepted. Once I'm accepted to one of HYS, Columbia, or Berkeley I will really relax. Until then I will check TLS every three minutes and thirteen seconds.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:09 pm

VoidSix wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
wired wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Does anyone else's application status say "Your file is complete"? Does this mean it is ready for review or that they have already made a decision?

Haha I should also probably preface that by saying Berkeley is my dream school & if they had early decision I would have done it. Soo you can probably understand my excitement/nerves! :)



Yes I am complete right now. It means the application is ready for review. It will change to "Under review" once it has been sent on to the committee that will determine your fate.


+1 How long did it take people to move to under review?


5 days.

+1. Complete 10/14. Under review 10/19.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28153
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:41 pm

kurama20 wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Yeah I would go ahead and send stuff over. Although I sent a third LOR and they never showed up as getting it. You might want to send the email out.

Where all are you applying, Kurama?



Basically everywhere in the top 25 since I have an LSAC fee waiver. The only schools that don't accept it are Stanford and Texas.



Well good luck with everything. Do you have a top choice?

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby kurama20 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:55 pm

VoidSix wrote:Well good luck with everything. Do you have a top choice?


Columbia, but I wouldn't feel all that different about any of Chicago, Michigan, Boalt, or NYU. Good luck to you too. I think you will get into Stanford if you have some interesting ec's since they are putting more weight on LSAT this year.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28153
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:18 am

Thanks. Given that most of the big PI organizations that I would like to work at are in NYC, I am leaning more and more towards Columbia myself. But much like you, I won't be bummed if I don't get Columbia or Stanford and do get NYU or Berkeley.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:15 am

anyone else excited that supposedly dean tom will start reading applications tonight???

i know it isn't just me obsessing!! :mrgreen:

sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:23 am

tintin wrote:anyone else excited that supposedly dean tom will start reading applications tonight???

i know it isn't just me obsessing!! :mrgreen:


What makes you think he'll begin tongiht?

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:32 am

How did everyone incorporate Berkeley into their PS? Did you do the full 4 pages? How much of it was a "Why Boalt"? I'm planning on submitting today but still haven't wrapped up my essay, and now I'm having all sorts of dangerous second thoughts!

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:50 am

sfdreaming09 wrote:
tintin wrote:anyone else excited that supposedly dean tom will start reading applications tonight???

i know it isn't just me obsessing!! :mrgreen:


What makes you think he'll begin tongiht?


believe someone told me this on tls somewhere. i could be wrong of course, who really knows.

but i like to think he will.... :D

User avatar
letsgojayhawks
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:22 pm

5 days to transition from complete to under review? Oh man, that means I'm up next week....

Does Berkeley have the same system as Harvard where they promise to give you an answer within 2 months?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28153
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:23 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:5 days to transition from complete to under review? Oh man, that means I'm up next week....

Does Berkeley have the same system as Harvard where they promise to give you an answer within 2 months?


Not even Harvard has that system. They just say they do. But yes. I would expect to hear from Berkeley before you hear from almost anywhere else unless you applied to Michigan.

User avatar
letsgojayhawks
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:25 pm

VoidSix wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:5 days to transition from complete to under review? Oh man, that means I'm up next week....

Does Berkeley have the same system as Harvard where they promise to give you an answer within 2 months?


Not even Harvard has that system. They just say they do. But yes. I would expect to hear from Berkeley before you hear from almost anywhere else unless you applied to Michigan.


Really? I did apply to Michigan...are they also known for being fast? I'm still waiting on a status checker from them...

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28153
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:34 pm

Both Berkeley and Michigan send out their first round of decisions in mid-to-late November traditionally. Last year, the first Berkeley acceptance was on the 4th of November, but the next ones were around the 13th and 20th. Michigan had a big batch on the 20th-25th as well. Most of the other schools seem to take a bit longer (NYU in early December, Penn / Chicago in later December, Columbia in January).

Good luck!

User avatar
letsgojayhawks
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks! It's amazing how early decisions are made...before I found TLS I assumed people got decisions in April.

I don't think I have much of a shot at Berkeley (172/3.55), but its one of the few American schools I would love to go to.

Good luck to you too!

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Shaggier1 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:33 pm

5 days to transition from complete to under review? Oh man, that means I'm up next week....


I went pretty much directly to "under review." I applied on the 20th, got an email with status checker on the 21st, and by the 22nd, I was under review.

Haven't heard anything since. I don't expect to hear anything until mid-November at the earliest.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28153
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Let's hope this is the first week of acceptances.

User avatar
emilybeth
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby emilybeth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:36 pm

to everyone worried about their essays -- i am attending boalt now and i submitted my standard two-page PS with two lines specific to berkeley. i also submitted my standard one-page diversity statement and called it an "additional essay." if you can fill four pages WELL, i say go for it, but i absolutely don't think it's determinative. GOOD LUCK. i strongly, strongly, strongly encourage anyone accepted to seriously consider coming here. i'm paying sticker and i think it's worth it, for the breadth of opportunity here, the outstanding faculty and student body, and the awesome location. i know i sound like a guidebook... but i just am happy with my choice and i think others who choose berkeley will be too.

User avatar
Legacy316
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 5:57 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Legacy316 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:22 am

emilybeth wrote:to everyone worried about their essays -- i am attending boalt now and i submitted my standard two-page PS with two lines specific to berkeley. i also submitted my standard one-page diversity statement and called it an "additional essay." if you can fill four pages WELL, i say go for it, but i absolutely don't think it's determinative. GOOD LUCK. i strongly, strongly, strongly encourage anyone accepted to seriously consider coming here. i'm paying sticker and i think it's worth it, for the breadth of opportunity here, the outstanding faculty and student body, and the awesome location. i know i sound like a guidebook... but i just am happy with my choice and i think others who choose berkeley will be too.


Thanks for the comfort, and CONGRATS on ending up at such an amazing school. I am REALLY hoping I get into Berkeley. Over the past year I've one through like six different phases of being obsessed with different law schools, and so far, I haven't been able to shake Berkeley! Like I've already found an awesome Cal hat and shirt that I am just WAITING to buy i nthe event that I get accepted. :oops:

I guess we'll just have to see how November plays out!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”