Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
EijiMiyake
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby EijiMiyake » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Looks like Berkeley is done for the day.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Well there was a lot of hullabaloo on this thread today, but I think the noise was louder than the results warranted. There are still only 16 acceptances on LSN and I have a hard time believing this one (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Berkeleylove/jd) given it's strange time and date updates, so that would mean 15. And with 7 of those before today that makes only 8 acceptances today. Sure, there's movement, but it's still not a wave.

And damn, what's with Berkeley's decision to move up the LSAT ranks this year? Lots of (relatively) low GPA people are getting in...

driveshaft
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby driveshaft » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:06 pm

It's after 5 Pacific now. I think we may be done for the day. Let's all think collective good thoughts about tomorrow.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Veritas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:07 pm

crackberry wrote:Well there was a lot of hullabaloo on this thread today, but I think the noise was louder than the results warranted. There are still only 16 acceptances on LSN and I have a hard time believing this one (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Berkeleylove/jd) given it's strange time and date updates, so that would mean 15. And with 7 of those before today that makes only 8 acceptances today. Sure, there's movement, but it's still not a wave.

And damn, what's with Berkeley's decision to move up the LSAT ranks this year? Lots of (relatively) low GPA people are getting in...

lol, 8 on TLS today is quite a lot, considering the self-selected sample we have here.

For all we know they admitted 50 people today.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Veritas wrote:
crackberry wrote:Well there was a lot of hullabaloo on this thread today, but I think the noise was louder than the results warranted. There are still only 16 acceptances on LSN and I have a hard time believing this one (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Berkeleylove/jd) given it's strange time and date updates, so that would mean 15. And with 7 of those before today that makes only 8 acceptances today. Sure, there's movement, but it's still not a wave.

And damn, what's with Berkeley's decision to move up the LSAT ranks this year? Lots of (relatively) low GPA people are getting in...

lol, 8 on TLS today is quite a lot, considering the self-selected sample we have here.

For all we know they admitted 50 people today.



Even fifty wouldn't be all that much. They admit around 800 students a year. Probably more this year with their ridiculous tuition.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Blah. What do I care I'll be next door teaching seventh graders biology and pulling out my hair.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Veritas wrote:
crackberry wrote:Well there was a lot of hullabaloo on this thread today, but I think the noise was louder than the results warranted. There are still only 16 acceptances on LSN and I have a hard time believing this one (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Berkeleylove/jd) given it's strange time and date updates, so that would mean 15. And with 7 of those before today that makes only 8 acceptances today. Sure, there's movement, but it's still not a wave.

And damn, what's with Berkeley's decision to move up the LSAT ranks this year? Lots of (relatively) low GPA people are getting in...

lol, 8 on TLS today is quite a lot, considering the self-selected sample we have here.

For all we know they admitted 50 people today.

Compared to ~50 at Harvard last Monday, 8 is nothing. Granted Berkeley is smaller than Harvard, but still, no comparison.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:50 pm

I just registered with a temp agency based out of Oakland.

They say they will be calling me "at least once a week" starting tomorrow.

From different numbers.

In the 510 area code.

owhlcn
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby owhlcn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I just registered with a temp agency based out of Oakland.

They say they will be calling me "at least once a week" starting tomorrow.

From different numbers.

In the 510 area code.


i am so very, very sorry.

User avatar
EijiMiyake
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby EijiMiyake » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I just registered with a temp agency based out of Oakland.

They say they will be calling me "at least once a week" starting tomorrow.

From different numbers.

In the 510 area code.



University numbers start with a 642 or 643 (after the nickle and dime area code).

driveshaft
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby driveshaft » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:55 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I just registered with a temp agency based out of Oakland.

They say they will be calling me "at least once a week" starting tomorrow.

From different numbers.

In the 510 area code.


Rough. Just, just rough. I don't even know what else to say. At least this way you'll be surprised if/when it's Boalt?

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Haha yeah...at least I won't have my hopes up, right? :D

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:12 pm

crackberry wrote:Compared to ~50 at Harvard last Monday, 8 is nothing. Granted Berkeley is smaller than Harvard, but still, no comparison.



Class size is actually irrelevant in the situation because they both admit around the same amount of students.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby calicocat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I just registered with a temp agency based out of Oakland.

They say they will be calling me "at least once a week" starting tomorrow.

From different numbers.

In the 510 area code.


*shakes head* that's rough

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:23 am



There are plenty of folks > median for both GPA/LSAT (and > 75% for that matter) that went under review and haven't heard anything, so I'm not sure that's the pattern.


+a lot. Including me, under review on 11/9 and as yet un-contacted. :? I used to love the Berkeley atmosphere for its unpredictability, unconventionality, and celebration of idiosyncrasy...until now. :wink:

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 am

If I don't get a call, I'll know that it was probably the two-page PS. I made a conscious decision against devoting the additional time and effort, however, so I have no reason to complain.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who got in today!! I certainly don't want to rain on your well-deserved parade. :D

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:56 am

managamy wrote:If I don't get a call, I'll know that it was probably the two-page PS. I made a conscious decision against devoting the additional time and effort, however, so I have no reason to complain.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who got in today!! I certainly don't want to rain on your well-deserved parade. :D


Why are you even concerned with Cal? Even if you get accepted, are you going to turn down Harvard for Cal?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:If I don't get a call, I'll know that it was probably the two-page PS. I made a conscious decision against devoting the additional time and effort, however, so I have no reason to complain.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who got in today!! I certainly don't want to rain on your well-deserved parade. :D


Why are you even concerned with Cal? Even if you get accepted, are you going to turn down Harvard for Cal?


PM'ed you.

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby thorntll » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 am

Based on last year's thread, I think the first acceptances trickle in, and those are the people who get calls. Then, Berk starts accepting huge batches of people, and they only get e-mails. So until people start getting only e-mails, I think we can assume there are still a lot of acceptances left to offer.

ubuntu818
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby ubuntu818 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:25 am

managamy wrote:If I don't get a call, I'll know that it was probably the two-page PS. I made a conscious decision against devoting the additional time and effort, however, so I have no reason to complain.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who got in today!! I certainly don't want to rain on your well-deserved parade. :D


I mean this in a reassuring way ... I went the two-page PS route and had good news yesterday.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby gymboree » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 am

crackberry wrote:
Veritas wrote:
crackberry wrote:Well there was a lot of hullabaloo on this thread today, but I think the noise was louder than the results warranted. There are still only 16 acceptances on LSN and I have a hard time believing this one (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Berkeleylove/jd) given it's strange time and date updates, so that would mean 15. And with 7 of those before today that makes only 8 acceptances today. Sure, there's movement, but it's still not a wave.

And damn, what's with Berkeley's decision to move up the LSAT ranks this year? Lots of (relatively) low GPA people are getting in...

lol, 8 on TLS today is quite a lot, considering the self-selected sample we have here.

For all we know they admitted 50 people today.

Compared to ~50 at Harvard last Monday, 8 is nothing. Granted Berkeley is smaller than Harvard, but still, no comparison.


Keep in mind that LSN only has data on roughly 10% of applicants - so 8 admits in one day --> 80, and with total admits being roughly 850, that is a significant day (roughly 10% of total admits for the cycle in one day). This, with the caveat that, yes, they should be expected to admit maybe a few more with the fee increase, but I don't know that we'll feel the difference. They may also just pull from the waitlist a bit more this year.

I don't mean to fuel a negative fire, certainly because 10% of admits in on a day means very little when they have 50% of their applications already (see Dean Tom's interview here on TLS). So they seem to be cherry picking the one's Dean Tom feels strongest about and about whom he made a unilateral decision. (Congrats guys!!!). The rest are obviously being put to committee, and that will simply take longer.

Relax, have a pina colada, send Berkeley good vibes, and maybe things will go our way.

BTW, lurking Berkeley adcomms, does anyone want to give us some sense of what you're going to do differently this year, if anything?

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby imisscollege » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 am

so once your ap is under review for more than a month, how long is it necessary to wait before you realize that it's unquestionably a rejection/wl?

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby violaboy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:00 am

imisscollege wrote:so once your ap is under review for more than a month, how long is it necessary to wait before you realize that it's unquestionably a rejection/wl?


Well, I've been under review since 10/22, and I haven't lost any hope. I've only lost hope with Harvard. :cry:

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Amelie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:01 am

gymboree wrote: Keep in mind that LSN only has data on roughly 10% of applicants - so 8 admits in one day --> 80, and with total admits being roughly 850, that is a significant day (roughly 10% of total admits for the cycle in one day). This, with the caveat that, yes, they should be expected to admit maybe a few more with the fee increase, but I don't know that we'll feel the difference. They may also just pull from the waitlist a bit more this year.


I don't think that 8 admits on LSN necessarily means 80 total. LSN is self-selective (I think generally for people with higher numbers), not a random sample of applicants. So while it only represents 10% of applicants - those applicants are probably more likely to be accepted than a random 10% sample of applicants.

So no need to worry too much yet.
Though I'm not very good at following my own advice...

sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby sfdreaming09 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

managamy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:If I don't get a call, I'll know that it was probably the two-page PS. I made a conscious decision against devoting the additional time and effort, however, so I have no reason to complain.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who got in today!! I certainly don't want to rain on your well-deserved parade. :D


Why are you even concerned with Cal? Even if you get accepted, are you going to turn down Harvard for Cal?


PM'ed you.


Managamy, could you PM me too. I'm in at Harvard, but given my desire to work in CA after graduation, I'm still considering Berkeley and Stanford, so I'd love to hear what you have to say about the issue. Thanks!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”