Berkeley 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27894
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:33 pm

triplecats wrote:
tintin wrote:
ugh, that SUCKS! I know the UCs are fucked right now (just graduated from one..) but really, part of their appeal is the lower tuition of course. Not that I think that would dissuade me from going to Berkeley or anything.


Berkeley isn't really known for being generous with merit aid, are they? Is their matching program their only source of merit aid, or do they occasionally throw a bone to people on their own initiative? I'm curious...


They give out very small amounts of aid. Generally, it's more like a "we'll make your first year in-state tuition but you don't get a scholarship 2L or 3L."

User avatar
triplecats
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby triplecats » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:15 pm

That is brutal. (Granted, I'm cheap and thinking paying sticker anywhere is brutal...)

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:26 pm

VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:Correction: HLS is BigLaw Central, Sr. Columbia is BigLaw Central, Jr.


Yeah except HLS is too good to be BigLaw Central, so many of their graduates clerk. Columbia seems more concerned with dolla dolla bills. They place like 75% of their class into NLJ250 firms.

Fair enough. Point conceded.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:
triplecats wrote:
tintin wrote:
ugh, that SUCKS! I know the UCs are fucked right now (just graduated from one..) but really, part of their appeal is the lower tuition of course. Not that I think that would dissuade me from going to Berkeley or anything.


Berkeley isn't really known for being generous with merit aid, are they? Is their matching program their only source of merit aid, or do they occasionally throw a bone to people on their own initiative? I'm curious...


They give out very small amounts of aid. Generally, it's more like a "we'll make your first year in-state tuition but you don't get a scholarship 2L or 3L."


Not really true. Berkeley gives out far more need based grants than peer schools, and is less stringent about economic requirements to get them. I got a grant from Berkeley and I couldn't get one from any other school. A lot of other people had the same thing.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27894
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:11 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
triplecats wrote:
tintin wrote:
ugh, that SUCKS! I know the UCs are fucked right now (just graduated from one..) but really, part of their appeal is the lower tuition of course. Not that I think that would dissuade me from going to Berkeley or anything.


Berkeley isn't really known for being generous with merit aid, are they? Is their matching program their only source of merit aid, or do they occasionally throw a bone to people on their own initiative? I'm curious...


They give out very small amounts of aid. Generally, it's more like a "we'll make your first year in-state tuition but you don't get a scholarship 2L or 3L."


Not really true. Berkeley gives out far more need based grants than peer schools, and is less stringent about economic requirements to get them. I got a grant from Berkeley and I couldn't get one from any other school. A lot of other people had the same thing.


I believe he was talking about merit-based.

User avatar
Mr.Feeny
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:59 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Mr.Feeny » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:24 pm

out of curiosity, anyone know what the worst numbers are that have gotten accepted? (thats not a URM)

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Rotor » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:22 am

Triplecats, the primary focus is the need-based aid. The matching program is out there, but I don't know of anyone who got matched (only anecdotal, I know, but it's all I have to go on).

I'll second WT and say they do tend to be fairly generous with that need based aid, but for a non-trad who had a decent paycheck before coming in, I got nothing.

One program I didn't know about coming in was the Berkeley Law Foundation grants. If you do public interest work over the summer (except judicial externships) you will get 4k. There are other requirements (pro-bono hours etc.), but everyone eligible collects. It's not a lot, but it'll pay the rent for the summer.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby wired » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:32 am

Mr.Feeny wrote:out of curiosity, anyone know what the worst numbers are that have gotten accepted? (thats not a URM)



http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tabard

This individual had a 167 and a 3.4. That's a median LSAT with a significantly below median GPA.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mightyaphrodite

This is the lowest GPA I found. It's a 3.3 with a 171 to back it up.

Both profiles indicated they had significant softs.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27894
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:35 am

Somewhere there is a 159 person that got accepted and no one believes he/she is real, and there is a long explanation about how the only bad part of the app was the LSAT score and it goes to show it can be overcome.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Veritas » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:39 pm

gosh I hope to be a below number-average admit. Please berk! love me!

User avatar
triplecats
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby triplecats » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Veritas wrote:gosh I hope to be a below number-average admit. Please berk! love me!


If Dean Tom invites me to be on the faculty committee, I will admit you.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Veritas » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:06 pm

triplecats wrote:
Veritas wrote:gosh I hope to be a below number-average admit. Please berk! love me!


If Dean Tom invites me to be on the faculty committee, I will admit you.

:lol: thanks!!

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby violaboy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:05 pm

wired wrote:
Mr.Feeny wrote:out of curiosity, anyone know what the worst numbers are that have gotten accepted? (thats not a URM)



http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tabard

This individual had a 167 and a 3.4. That's a median LSAT with a significantly below median GPA.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mightyaphrodite

This is the lowest GPA I found. It's a 3.3 with a 171 to back it up.

Both profiles indicated they had significant softs.


Mighty Aphrodite is a URM.

User avatar
bighead715
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:55 am

been under review since the 19th - thought id join you guys in the pointless speculation

25th percentile lsat score andddd a 3.98 gpa with beast softs (in my mind at least and probably not others' :/ )

chances seem slim but there is a minute hope...

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:39 pm

I don't think LRN works too well with Berkeley. Sure, it's a guide, but I know a lot of people who got in (myself included) that LSN gave very low chances.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:13 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:I don't think LRN works too well with Berkeley. Sure, it's a guide, but I know a lot of people who got in (myself included) that LSN gave very low chances.


yeah I'm hoping to join that group. 168 (twice haha)/3.9. I think I have a shot, I'm hoping my obvious enthusiasm for berkeley will catch dean tom's attention....

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27894
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:22 pm

I don't know why you think 168 / 3.9 is not good enough for Berkeley. You're right at their medians, and LSP has you as a Strong Consider.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Veritas » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:58 pm

VoidSix wrote:I don't know why you think 168 / 3.9 is not good enough for Berkeley. You're right at their medians, and LSP has you as a Strong Consider.

+1

It's people like me that need to catch the eye of Dean Tom.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby kurama20 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Can you update your file if you are already "under review" ?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27894
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Kronk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:12 pm

Yeah I would go ahead and send stuff over. Although I sent a third LOR and they never showed up as getting it. You might want to send the email out.

Where all are you applying, Kurama?

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby kurama20 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:13 pm

VoidSix wrote:Yeah I would go ahead and send stuff over. Although I sent a third LOR and they never showed up as getting it. You might want to send the email out.

Where all are you applying, Kurama?



Basically everywhere in the top 25 since I have an LSAC fee waiver. The only schools that don't accept it are Stanford and Texas.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:43 pm

VoidSix wrote:I don't know why you think 168 / 3.9 is not good enough for Berkeley. You're right at their medians, and LSP has you as a Strong Consider.


I think it's more my lack of impressive softs combined with my mediocre #'s that makes me nervous...

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby clint4law » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:52 pm

just submitted my apps...i'm a 168/3.9.....best of luck to all you guys.

User avatar
Legacy316
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 5:57 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby Legacy316 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:07 am

I'm starting to really regret not going the full four pages on my Berkeley PS, saying how UCB is my dream school! It's just my PS was so clean and concise.... still came out to 2 3/4 pages though. Maybe that will help?

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2010

Postby tintin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:44 am

clint4law wrote:just submitted my apps...i'm a 168/3.9.....best of luck to all you guys.


hey i have your exact stats!!! :) are you on LSN?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3, grandpapy360, lawschool2017712, Leliana, mmengden, pizzagoblin, Rio123, Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests