Berkeley 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sfdreaming09

Bronze

Re: Berkeley 2010

Post by sfdreaming09 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 pm

JohnYuu wrote:To those of you that missed the original call and called back, did he have to look up your file first before congratulating you, or did he know you by name?
As soon as he heard my last name, he literally immediately said "Hi [my first name]." He also immediately (i.e. not enough time for him to look up my file) knew where I'm currently living and what type of law I intend to pursue. Very personalized attention...I was impressed.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:21 pm

I noticed something concerning the tweets from their Twitter account. They say that "WE ARE reading furiously," rather than "I AM reading furiously," as one would expect if Dean Tom were the only person reading the files. I'm wondering if this wording means that the Committee is already reviewing some applications.

lsnoob

New

Post by lsnoob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:45 pm

So, those admitted via phone already, which phone number from your status checker did Dean Tom call you on?

I have listed a daytime phone number and my cell phone number. Curious if I should be obsessing over one or the other. Thanks!

JohnYuu

New

Post by JohnYuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:50 pm

managamy wrote:I noticed something concerning the tweets from their Twitter account. They say that "WE ARE reading furiously," rather than "I AM reading furiously," as one would expect if Dean Tom were the only person reading the files. I'm wondering if this wording means that the Committee is already reviewing some applications.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Dean Tom has an assistant or two (not part of the committee) that reads the files with him initially. I'm pretty sure this is either on the Berk website or the TLS interview with Dean Tom.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:02 pm

JohnYuu wrote:
managamy wrote:I noticed something concerning the tweets from their Twitter account. They say that "WE ARE reading furiously," rather than "I AM reading furiously," as one would expect if Dean Tom were the only person reading the files. I'm wondering if this wording means that the Committee is already reviewing some applications.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Dean Tom has an assistant or two (not part of the committee) that reads the files with him initially. I'm pretty sure this is either on the Berk website or the TLS interview with Dean Tom.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the committee doesn't convene until January. Current Boalt students, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JohnYuu

New

Post by JohnYuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:05 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

He has four other staff, he reads 2/3 of the applications himself.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:06 pm

JohnYuu wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

He has four other staff, he reads 2/3 of the applications himself.
Thanks for taking the time to answer the question so thoroughly!

JohnYuu

New

Post by JohnYuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm sure you knew that posting a picture of yourself would get you special treatment.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:17 pm

JohnYuu wrote:I'm sure you knew that posting a picture of yourself would get you special treatment.
:P :P :P I'm glad that my avatar triggers your viewing pleasure as much as it does mine. You're kinder than Ruleser the Bat, who called her pose "hunching."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Ha! Seriously, any guesses as to why Berkeley excludes NU from the list? Is it because NU is especially generous with its scholarship money (especially for those applicants who are strong enough to get into Berkeley), and Berkeley doesn't have the $$$ to match the NU offers? I wonder what the story is.

This was our 0L hypothesis last year.

Also, pretty much everything Everyone else said has been accurate. Not many are matched-- until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know anyone in the class who had been. As a public school, the focus is on need based aid.

polydolly

New

Post by polydolly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 pm

lsnoob wrote:So, those admitted via phone already, which phone number from your status checker did Dean Tom call you on?

I have listed a daytime phone number and my cell phone number. Curious if I should be obsessing over one or the other. Thanks!

+1

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:30 pm

JohnYuu wrote:I'm sure you knew that posting a picture of yourself would get you special treatment.
Hahahaha. Creeper!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:07 am

VoidSix wrote:I think it's actually very far from a guarantee recently. As in, most of the time it doesn't get taken. I think people have had more success with smaller scholarships from Chicago or NYU than with larger ones from MVPDCG.
I don't know for sure on this, but at one event I heard some of the admissions staff talking about how they don't lose many cross-admits to Penn, Mich, or Virginia. They therefore aren't too inclined to match scholarships from those schools, especially if it's a large one and it would require a big financial sacrifice for Berkeley. I think they are more concerned with wooing admits from CCN. This might not be completely accurate, but it seems to be what happens with the matching program.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 am

worldtraveler wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I think it's actually very far from a guarantee recently. As in, most of the time it doesn't get taken. I think people have had more success with smaller scholarships from Chicago or NYU than with larger ones from MVPDCG.
I don't know for sure on this, but at one event I heard some of the admissions staff talking about how they don't lose many cross-admits to Penn, Mich, or Virginia. They therefore aren't too inclined to match scholarships from those schools, especially if it's a large one and it would require a big financial sacrifice for Berkeley. I think they are more concerned with wooing admits from CCN. This might not be completely accurate, but it seems to be what happens with the matching program.
This is what I figured. I wonder if they'll up their scholarships at all because of the tuition hikes? I could see their yield taking a hit.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:06 pm

my friends, and bless their hearts, are trying to convince me that since Boalt offered to fly me out for the visit that they will give me some merit aid. is there any truth to that because i was under the impression that they offer to fly everyone out to visit?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 pm

catharsis wrote:my friends, and bless their hearts, are trying to convince me that since Boalt offered to fly me out for the visit that they will give me some merit aid. is there any truth to that because i was under the impression that they offer to fly everyone out to visit?
Haha. My family has been doing the same. I don't think there is any relation...however I also doubt that ALL admits are flown out...maybe just Dean Tom's special draft picks from early in the cycle?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:02 pm

do we think there will be more calls on monday?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:57 pm

catharsis wrote:my friends, and bless their hearts, are trying to convince me that since Boalt offered to fly me out for the visit that they will give me some merit aid. is there any truth to that because i was under the impression that they offer to fly everyone out to visit?
I thought Berkeley only offered need-based aid? I could be wrong though.

Cooley70121

New

Post by Cooley70121 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:35 pm

With regard to Berkeley's matching scholarship program, do they dole out offers for those admiited to HYS? I'm in at Harvard and am wondering if I need to apply to another school in search of a scholarship so that Berkeley will give me merit aid. I would like my Harvard admit to entice them to give me a scholarship on its own, but I am not sure of a politically correct way to broach the subject with the adcoms.

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Have you already choosen Berkeley over Harvard?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:49 pm

go to harvard and donate your berkeley acceptance to me....

:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChildPlease

New

Post by ChildPlease » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Does anyone know how much tuition is expected to go up?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm

They fly out everyone who is within flying distance.

Saya

Bronze

Post by Saya » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:48 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:They fly out everyone who is within flying distance.
lolol. How exactly is this defined?

aetennis17

New

Post by aetennis17 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Just had a really discouraging meeting with our pre-law advisor.

I have a 164 & 3.99 gpa from a top univ with strong LOR's, (& what I believe to be a) great & unique PS, and above-average softs....

is there really no chance in hell that dean tom will accept me? even if I beg?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”