Berkeley 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irie

Bronze

Re: Berkeley 2010

Post by irie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:55 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:I assume everyone saw that the UC Regents did, in fact, approve the tuition hikes yesterday. Will this make Berkeley THE most expensive school in the country?
For OOS, yes.
the school will also be liquidated when california fails to emerge from bankruptcy.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:59 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:I assume everyone saw that the UC Regents did, in fact, approve the tuition hikes yesterday. Will this make Berkeley THE most expensive school in the country?
For OOS, yes.
Isn't it getting up there for in-state as well? I am in-state and am very interested in this.

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
For OOS, yes.
Isn't it getting up there for in-state as well? I am in-state and am very interested in this.
Yes, very soon it will be the nation’s highest even for in-state. Right now, in-state tuition stands at 36.5K, in 2010 it will be 44.2K, in 2011 it will be 49.3K, and in 2012 it will be 51.8K.

For OOS, it is currently at 48.7K. It will rise to 52.2K in 2010, 54.8K in 2011, and 57.6K in 2012.

This is truly a shame.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:13 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
For OOS, yes.
Yes, very soon it will be the nation’s highest even for in-state. Right now, in-state tuition stands at 36.5K, in 2010 it will be 44.2K, in 2011 it will be 49.3K, and in 2012 it will be 51.8K.

For OOS, it is currently at 48.7K. It will rise to 52.2K in 2010, 54.8K in 2011, and 57.6K in 2012.

This is truly a shame.
Our state is on the brink my fellow Californian.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:19 pm

crackberry wrote: Our state is on the brink my fellow Californian.
+2323452345125546

I'm preparing for my escape from California when it goes under.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:23 pm

We can thank all the obstructionist Republicans in the California state legislature for this mess. Their ridiuclous "anti new-tax" pledge is destroying our state.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:28 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:We can thank all the obstructionist Republicans in the California state legislature for this mess. Their ridiuclous "anti new-tax" pledge is destroying our state.
Definitely, let's raise taxes in the middle of a recession. All the waste in spending on corruption shouldn't be dealt with, the problem is clearly the "low" income tax rates in California.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Yikes. Berkeley was one of my top choices behind Stanford. Don't think I'll be going with the tuition the way it is now, though. Although I guess I would have in-state given that I'll be in California for two years prior to law school. Still, though, Berkeley's in-state might be as much as Stanford's tuition soon.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:37 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:We can thank all the obstructionist Republicans in the California state legislature for this mess. Their ridiuclous "anti new-tax" pledge is destroying our state.
Definitely, let's raise taxes in the middle of a recession. All the waste in spending on corruption shouldn't be dealt with, the problem is clearly the "low" income tax rates in California.

Yeah. Who would've though the Cali legislature would approve House Bill 0932, permitted the spending of money on "corruption"! DUN DUN DUN!

-What is that small moon hovering above California?
-That's no moon. It's a space station.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:41 pm

VoidSix wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:

Yeah. Who would've though the Cali legislature would approve House Bill 0932, permitted the spending of money on "corruption"! DUN DUN DUN!

-What is that small moon hovering above California?
-That's no moon. It's a space station.
That's so true. The California Govt. has no power to limit corruption and wasteful spending by the California Govt. Thanks for enlightening me.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:45 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
I've actually spent the last two years working in tax policy, and much data shows that raising taxes during a recession, particularly on upper-income earners, is the most effective and efficient way to combat recession. See: Center On Budget and Policy Priorities data, National Association of State Budget Officers data, and National Association of State Legislatures data, 1999-2003.

The key is disposable income, particularly for low-earners, who spend their money locally and on essential items almost exclusively.

Colorado's higher education system is also getting priced-out for most residents as a result of our TABOR and anti-tax policies over the past 2 decades. We're now 49th in public spending on higher education, and just cut higher-ed budgets by another 20%. California may surpass us at this rate.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:47 pm

gossipgirl wrote: That's so true. The California Govt. has no power to limit corruption and wasteful spending by the California Govt. Thanks for enlightening me.
No problem. Let me enlighten you some more! "Corruption" is a buzzword, not specific to anything actually happening at all, has nothing to do with Berkeley tuition hikes, and makes you sound like a conspiracy theorist! Yay!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:48 pm

The situation in CA is complex. Part of it has to do with the way the state budget gets passed (2/3rds super majority required).

Another has to do with the fact that Californians can budget via referendum and the legislature is unable to modify or go against these referendums without another referendum to repeal.

Sure, there's waste involved, but no more so than any other state.

With about 10% of the U.S population, a negative flow of federal income tax and the inability to tax at a higher level, the state has a very large burden. When the recession hit and tax income plummeted the state found itself in a shitty situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Kretzy wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:
I've actually spent the last two years working in tax policy, and much data shows that raising taxes during a recession, particularly on upper-income earners, is the most effective and efficient way to combat recession. See: Center on Budget and Policy Priorities data, National Association of State Budget Officers data, and National Association of State Legislatures data, 1999-2003.

The key is disposable income, particularly for low-earners, who spend their money locally and on essential items almost exclusively.

Colorado's higher education system is also getting priced-out for most residents as a result of our TABOR and anti-tax policies over the past 2 decades. We're now 49th in public spending on higher education, and just cut higher-ed budgets by another 20%. California may surpass us at this rate.
Very interesting report/article. Thanks for the referral!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Most of the California budget problems come from the fact that they have a constitution that allows them to spend money before getting it, thus encouraging extremely high deficits. There are many states that have similar state laws, however none of them are home to 35 million people.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Let me make this simple. Much of California's trouble stems from a ballot measure passed overwhelmingly in 1978: Proposition 13. It capped property taxes at 1 percent of the assessed value, essentially handcuffing local governments and forcing them to rely on Sacramento for assistance. Well, this was fine for the first couple years when California had a huge surplus. Then it got bad in the 80s and early 90s. Then the dot-com bubble happened and everything was okay. Then it burst and now we're fucked. Thank you Prop. 13.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Also, gossipgirl, it is precisely because California can't impose new taxes that we are so screwed. The state raised income taxes by 10 percent this year because no one in this damn state pays anything in property taxes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Very concise. Interesting.

Seriously, though, I would be surprised if Berkeley continues to get the level of students it has with such ridiculous tuition. It would be much cheaper to attend Columbia or NYU at this point. The last two pages of this thread have made me quite sad.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:57 pm

VoidSix wrote:Very concise. Interesting.

Seriously, though, I would be surprised if Berkeley continues to get the level of students it has with such ridiculous tuition. It would be much cheaper to attend Columbia or NYU at this point. The last two pages of this thread have made me quite sad.
Despite the fact that I'm in-state, Berkeley has gone from being one of my top choices to don't-even-consider status. $50K in tuition? Are you kidding?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:59 pm

I think I calculated that, even being an in-state resident of CA, it would be cheaper for me to attend Michigan and pay out of state tuition there than to go to berkeley.

yikes.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:59 pm

I would bet students will continue to pay to go to Boalt. Don't know about the other UCs. There are way more qualified applicants than there are T14 spots.

Also, if you think the other schools are going to keep tuition at current levels you're also probably mistaken.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:00 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Also, if you think the other schools are going to keep tuition at current levels you're also probably mistaken.
Sure, but no state is as screwed as California. That is a fact.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:03 pm

crackberry wrote:

Despite the fact that I'm in-state, Berkeley has gone from being one of my top choices to don't-even-consider status. $50K in tuition? Are you kidding?
Same for me (but I'm out of state). For a long time I dreamed of Berkeley Law (I grew up nearby and would still like to live there again)... but the tuition is just too much for me.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:05 pm

maggiebre wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Same for me (but I'm out of state). For a long time I dreamed of Berkeley Law (I grew up nearby and would still like to live there again)... but the tuition is just too much for me.
+1

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:05 pm

crackberry wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Also, if you think the other schools are going to keep tuition at current levels you're also probably mistaken.
Sure, but no state is as screwed as California. That is a fact.
True, and many private law schools took a 20-30% endowment hit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”