Berkeley 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tintin

Silver

Re: Berkeley 2010

Post by tintin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:55 pm

triplecats wrote:
I "only" wrote a 3rd page... I thought it would be silly if I wrote a super-focused 2 page personal statement followed by 2 fluffier pages about why Berkeley. I can only hope the adcomm agrees with my editorial decision, as UC-B is my 1st choice too (before finances, anyway). My guess for you, tintin, is you'll go under review in mid-November and you will get a decision by the end of it. Then you can go on a nice long vacation to Tibet.

What's going on with the actual law buildings that they try not to show them? Is the massive construction still underway?
I think it's more just that the school is not very attractive. Very institutional looking, big blocky looking buildings...it's no Michigan in the looks department :lol:

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Massive construction is under way. I didn't write a "why Boalt" section. I submitted the same 2 pages that I gave everyone.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:22 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:I submitted the same 2 pages that I gave everyone.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:48 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:Reading this thread was a bad idea for me.

Wish my GPA didn't kill my chances.
LSN gave me a .5% chance of acceptance. Glad I didn't listen to LSN. I think pretty much everyone I meet here either had better acceptances and chose Berkeley because they really liked it, or they were just completely shocked that they got in with less than perfect LSAT/GPA scores.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:10 am

VoidSix wrote:
triplecats wrote:
Although cost of living is incredibly high in Berkeley. My friend pays $900 for his share of a 3BR that must be 30+ years old. Not much less than NYC (though they admittedly have a lot more floor space).
Are you serious? 30+ years old? Unless you want to live in an exburb outside of Houston or Atlanta, you better be willing to accommodate a place that's been lived in before. And if you're not, you're not going to be anywhere near where law happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:15 am

ccs224 wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
triplecats wrote:
Although cost of living is incredibly high in Berkeley. My friend pays $900 for his share of a 3BR that must be 30+ years old. Not much less than NYC (though they admittedly have a lot more floor space).
Are you serious? 30+ years old? Unless you want to live in an exburb outside of Houston or Atlanta, you better be willing to accommodate a place that's been lived in before. And if you're not, you're not going to be anywhere near where law happens.
I believe he was referring to the apartment's age as a way of signifying how high Berkeley's prices were, not that it was too old/too lived-in for his tastes.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:36 am

Easy!

Yeah. I'd be totally fine with an old house (live in one like that now). I was just saying Berkeley is expensive no matter where / in what house you live.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:44 am

As for the construction, it's not that big a deal. The classrooms that would be impacted aren't being used. As a result, a few classes are being held about 5 minute walk from Boalt.

It is true that the exterior is blockish and unattractive. But the classrooms aren't all that bad and a few of us today agreed the chairs are too comfortable-- need a little discomfort to keep the mind from wandering, y'know!

Construction is allegedly still on schedule to be finished sometime next year, so you'll reap the benefits without much of the pain (unlike the 3Ls who had to suffer through excavation noise, random fire alarm activations, etc. and all they'll get is a pledge request from donor services asking them to help replenish the capital fund! *lol*)

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:35 am

I visited this summer and actually didn't think the building was ugly at all. It wasn't gothic architecture like you'd find at Yale, Duke, Chicago, or Michigan, but it was a very nice building. You don't find gothic-styled schools in Cali, anyhow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:49 am

How long did it take to go from complete to under review, for those of you who have?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:58 am

Well, they sent out a block "complete" notice on the 14th. No one had heard anything before that from Berkeley. So I don't know if this will be indicative, but I went complete the 14th and under review the 19th.

You can call anytime now, Dean Tom.

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:13 am

VoidSix wrote:Well, they sent out a block "complete" notice on the 14th. No one had heard anything before that from Berkeley. So I don't know if this will be indicative, but I went complete the 14th and under review the 19th.

If he calls you, can you please ask if he'll call me too? My number is...

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:21 am

triplecats wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Well, they sent out a block "complete" notice on the 14th. No one had heard anything before that from Berkeley. So I don't know if this will be indicative, but I went complete the 14th and under review the 19th.

If he calls you, can you please ask if he'll call me too? My number is...

i'd like a call too.. pick me dean tom!! :lol: actually my file isnt under review yet, just complete. siiigh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 am

Hello all!

Boalt is my top choice. The odds are against me (3.5x, 172), but I plan on submitting an app next week. I have an interesting background, a strong PS, and a handful of targeted LOR's. LSP says I'm at 40% (and "consider"), which gives me some hope.

Is it of poor taste to basically say in my PS that Berkeley is my top choice? If they had ED, I would apply ED...but they don't.

Good luck to everyone!

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Hello all!

Boalt is my top choice. The odds are against me (3.5x, 172), but I plan on submitting an app next week. I have an interesting background, a strong PS, and a handful of targeted LOR's. LSP says I'm at 40% (and "consider"), which gives me some hope.

Is it of poor taste to basically say in my PS that Berkeley is my top choice? If they had ED, I would apply ED...but they don't.

Good luck to everyone!
I wouldn't say it's in poor taste per se. However, I bet every adcomm at every university anywhere has read statements to the effect of "I will attend if accepted/I will attend and sacrifice my firstborn if accepted" and they later turn out to be untrue. It probably leaves them a bit wary.

So... if UC-B is your #1, make sure your reasons ARE your argument as to why, and not just "I REALLY WANT TO GO". That's probably obvious, but it may help to keep it in mind. Read your PS, and if it doesn't add up to a well-supported "This is why Berkeley is great for me and I'm great for Berkeley" you need to re-write it. If you want to do PI and want to work in the Bay Area, or if you're a Cali resident and want to stay that way, this is a great to mention those.

Good luck!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:35 pm

+1. Same dates.

Call me a traitor if you will, but boy oh boy this Cardinal UG would love to be a Golden Bear law student (or, if you're eavesdropping Stanford, a multi-degree Cardinal). Either one is fine by me!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:17 pm

triplecats wrote:How long did it take to go from complete to under review, for those of you who have?
Went complete on the 16th, and literally just got the email saying my application is under review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Complete on the 20th, and I just got the under review email as well.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:23 pm

under review now too, I realllly hope I hear some good news from Dean Tom by the end of November....it would make my life so, so much better / easier.

onwisconsin25

New

Post by onwisconsin25 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Under review as well

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Under review as well. Best of luck, everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:37 pm

boalt is my first choice!

I'm wondering if I need to re-shape my PS to be Berk specific. What do you all think?

edit: It's a big reach for my #s

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:43 pm

Veritas wrote:boalt is my first choice!

I'm wondering if I need to re-shape my PS to be Berk specific. What do you all think?

edit: It's a big reach for my #s
Yes, by all means do so. Berkeley is one of the few schools that really seem to emphasize one's PS, and they give you 2 extra pages to write about yourself. Dean Tom in his TLS interview said to take the opportunity to do so... ESPECIALLY if they're a reach.

Best of luck!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:48 pm

I chose not to change my PS for Berkeley because I felt like I had said what I wanted to succinctly in 2pgs, and adding to make it four would just make it wordy. But I did tailor a few sentences to Boalt (as well as the overall theme of my PS, which is very Boalt-like and likely to get me waitlisted at schools that aren't Boalt-like, such as Columbia).

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Went complete yesterday, and just got an email saying I'm under review. Hopefully I'll get good news soon!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”