Alabama 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Alabama

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 am

hypermeganet wrote:Am I just being dumb and not seeing a second essay on their application?


I saved every application I sent, and after reviewing it for the 4th time I can say that the experience essay is indicated nowhere.

No e-mail response yet.

guardgrl2013
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby guardgrl2013 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 am

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:I got an e-mail from Bama yesterday about status checkers. It mentioned two essays for the application (it was a general e-mail). The website it directs you to (for uploading essays and resume) seems to indicate submitting two essays. The application directions and the application itself only indicated a personal statement so that's all I sent. I sent them an e-mail but haven't heard back. Just wondering if anyone else can shed light on this.



I received this e-mail yesterday. I e-mailed them as well and was really confused for a minute thinking I hadn't followed the directions. (I really thought that after they sent me the iTunes they were testing my loyalty.) I still haven't received a reply. I hope it's just a fluke and that I'll get my decision soon (applied 10/16).

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Alabama

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:52 am

guardgrl2013 wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:I got an e-mail from Bama yesterday about status checkers. It mentioned two essays for the application (it was a general e-mail). The website it directs you to (for uploading essays and resume) seems to indicate submitting two essays. The application directions and the application itself only indicated a personal statement so that's all I sent. I sent them an e-mail but haven't heard back. Just wondering if anyone else can shed light on this.



I received this e-mail yesterday. I e-mailed them as well and was really confused for a minute thinking I hadn't followed the directions. (I really thought that after they sent me the iTunes they were testing my loyalty.) I still haven't received a reply. I hope it's just a fluke and that I'll get my decision soon (applied 10/16).


So it sounds like they are at least consistent (in that the application and the e-mail were inconsistent for everyone). I guess that means we will either all have to write the extra essay or we will all not have to write the extra essay. Again, will advise when I hear from them. But this makes me very anxious. I spent a 26 hour period making sure all my applications went out without any problems.

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby The Zeppelin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:53 am

--LinkRemoved--
You'll see how the application instructions includes a slightly different essay from the actual application. This is why you can't trust Bama.

User avatar
hypermeganet
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

Re: Alabama

Postby hypermeganet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:56 am

The Zeppelin wrote:--LinkRemoved--
You'll see how the application instructions includes a slightly different essay from the actual application. This is why you can't trust Bama.


It only asks for one essay, though. And it's pretty much the standard PS topic essay (at least it is if you wrote about overcoming adversity).

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby The Zeppelin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 am

hypermeganet wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:--LinkRemoved--
You'll see how the application instructions includes a slightly different essay from the actual application. This is why you can't trust Bama.


It only asks for one essay, though. And it's pretty much the standard PS topic essay (at least it is if you wrote about overcoming adversity).

That depends how you interpret the application instructions. Common sense says that there's only one essay. Bama sense says that you complete the application (which includes one essay), pay the fee, and also provide an additional essay.

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Alabama

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:03 am

The Zeppelin wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:--LinkRemoved--
You'll see how the application instructions includes a slightly different essay from the actual application. This is why you can't trust Bama.


It only asks for one essay, though. And it's pretty much the standard PS topic essay (at least it is if you wrote about overcoming adversity).

That depends how you interpret the application instructions. Common sense says that there's only one essay. Bama sense says that you complete the application (which includes one essay), pay the fee, and also provide an additional essay.


Still not as annoying as schools requiring applicants to submit a Dean's Certification.

App925
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby App925 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 am

I called the Office of Admissions yesterday. They said that only one essay is required and that the email was a typo.

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Alabama

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:07 am

App925 wrote:I called the Office of Admissions yesterday. They said that only one essay is required and that the email was a typo.


Thanks for the clarification. I guess calling is less passive-aggressive than e-mail, but to be fair I got the e-mail at 9PM 'Bama time.

User avatar
UTL_plz
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Alabama

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:08 am

lol.

i got this email as well. I figured they meant that I would need an additional essay because of my character and fitness addendum. Both essays were included, but the email made it seem as though there was clearly another essay that is still missing.

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Alabama

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm

E-mail from Alabama admissions wrote:
Dear Awesome Kayaker,

Thank you for your email. The email that was sent mentioning the requirement of a second essay is a computer glitch. Last year, we required two essays; this year, we do not. We do not know why last year's email went out from a server across campus, but we are looking into it. I am very sorry for the confusion. Please disregard the email you received yesterday. Thank you for applying to The University of Alabama School of Law. If I may ever be of any assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Super Helpful Assistant Director of Admissions

User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby Foozle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:33 pm

I still haven't received my iTunes yet.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby wired » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:37 pm

Got mine. Spent it on a Damien Rice single, a few Rogue Wave songs, and the Christmas CD from the Honorary Title. Still have room to go.

hhildebr
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby hhildebr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:14 pm

My app says "Incomplete Items Outstanding." Did anyone else have this problem? Should I email them, or is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

User avatar
hypermeganet
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

Re: Alabama

Postby hypermeganet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:57 pm

hhildebr wrote:My app says "Incomplete Items Outstanding." Did anyone else have this problem? Should I email them, or is this normal? Thanks for any advice.



Mine says the same. Apparently they thought I needed to send in my fee but I had it waived. I was told that they would keep my fee waiver on file and that I didn't need a code. Well, apparently they didn't and that has held up my application for ~3 weeks.

User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby Foozle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Just got my iTunes.

Mosca
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Re: Alabama

Postby Mosca » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 pm

I got the email from Alabama about 2 essays, so I uploaded my DS, which I didn't include in my original application, to the linked website. Do you think this will delay my application?

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2788
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Alabama

Postby forza » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm

FWIW, I talked with Page for about 10 minutes when I went and visited UA. She is nice. And a fox :wink:

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Got my scholarship package this weekend. $27k a year, so I guess it's full tuition.

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Alabama

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Just got accepted via phone call with a $27,000 per year scholarship!! (full tuition, I think, according to their site?)! Woop! :D They also offered to help pay for me to visit. I thought that was interesting, and with the scholarship, I'd definitely consider taking them up on this offer and see what they have to offer.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby wired » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:12 pm

I also just received a call. In with a $22,500 scholarship (169, 3.35).

User avatar
starrydecisus
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Alabama

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:14 pm

wired wrote:I also just received a call. In with a $22,500 scholarship (169, 3.35).



Congrats!!!

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby crackberry » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Got my scholarship package this weekend. $27k a year, so I guess it's full tuition.

Did it come separately from the huge acceptance binder/packet? Or was it included?

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2788
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Alabama

Postby forza » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Phone call today! In with a $15,000/year scholarship (full in-state tuition).

So nice to get that first acceptance.

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby tarheel87 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Wow in today with $20,000 a year. Did not expect this at all. Bama just went from barely on my radar to wayyyy up there. I'm eager to see the stipulations though. Definitely at least attending the expenses paid ASW.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, darthlawyer, Google [Bot], Hopefullawkid2015, katthegreat11, Lawschool305, Leliana, mm2368, patrickkpaul, Zoe107 and 33 guests