Alabama 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
forza
Posts: 2783
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Alabama

Postby forza » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:43 am

See y'all on Friday! :D

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 pm

eskimo wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:For those of you that live in Tuscaloosa, are there any places that my wife and daughter and I have to see other than the campus? Things that just make Tuscaloosa the town that it is? Maybe some places to eat that I would regret having not been to? (or even might regreat having gone to.)

Go to historic downtown Tuscaloosa. To get there, you just keep driving down University Blvd, past the Strip (which is the more popular area for undergrads) and you will just run into it. They're doing some construction, but it's a really neat part of town, with the BEST restaurants. I highly recommend DePalma's for great Italian, it can be a bit of a wait though, unless you go early. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but across the street from DePalma's there is a neat Tuscaloosa Children's Hands-On Museum that she might enjoy. If you don't like Italian, Chuck's Fish is a good restaurant, though it can be a little pricy. For breakfast, behind Depalma's there is a row of restaurants with one long patio out front, and on the left end there is a fantastic German bakery called Edelweiss. Go there!

The riverwalk, which runs along Jack Warner Parkway is fun also, and is a great running/walking trail if you like the outdoors. Let me know if you need any other suggestions - I've lived here almost three years now.


Thanks! That is great advice, we will look into those.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2783
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Alabama

Postby forza » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I can vouch for DePalma's, by the way. Their pizza is orgasmic.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm

forza wrote:I can vouch for DePalma's, by the way. Their pizza is orgasmic.

Oh man, yeah it is. And the breadsticks... mmmm. All this DePalma's talk has affirmed where I'll be dining tonight, haha.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby lawhawk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Even though an Alabama admissions lady said they were shooting for a 164 median, looking at LSN it looks a lot like they are shooting for a 165 median. That would be pretty ballsy IMO.

Maybe they are trying to woo a bunch of you guys at the ASW and get some commitments and then evaluate their class?

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:39 pm

lawhawk wrote:Even though an Alabama admissions lady said they were shooting for a 164 median, looking at LSN it looks a lot like they are shooting for a 165 median. That would be pretty ballsy IMO.

Maybe they are trying to woo a bunch of you guys at the ASW and get some commitments and then evaluate their class?


they have certainly been "wooing" well so far. I can't say I have been treated better by any other school so far.

User avatar
GatorGirl1230
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby GatorGirl1230 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:16 pm

I actually received an email today from the Dean regarding ASD this Friday. In it, he said that applications were up 80% from this point last year. So Alabama can definitely be more selective this year, and might be able to get a 164 or 165 median for their class next year.

User avatar
vanstone22
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby vanstone22 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 pm

File has been incomplete items outstanding for about a month now...is this normal?

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Alabama

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:51 pm

lawhawk wrote:... Maybe they are trying to woo a bunch of you guys at the ASW and get some commitments and then evaluate their class?


Seriously wish I'd applied a month before I did ("complete ready for review" since Dec. 11). Hopefully lawhawk is right and they'll start admitting people again once this ASW is over. I've been on quite the dry spell and really want some Alabama love right about now.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Alabama

Postby lawhawk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:37 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
lawhawk wrote:... Maybe they are trying to woo a bunch of you guys at the ASW and get some commitments and then evaluate their class?


Seriously wish I'd applied a month before I did ("complete ready for review" since Dec. 11). Hopefully lawhawk is right and they'll start admitting people again once this ASW is over. I've been on quite the dry spell and really want some Alabama love right about now.



Yeah I've been pending since 10/27 with a 164 3.52. Hopefully soon there will be some action.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby MBZags » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 pm

Yikes, I guess I'm in for a long wait. They didn't update my application with my new score until 1/13.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby isaiah6v8 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:21 am

I don't know about y'all, but I certainly enjoyed the admitted students day. It is certainly going to be a tough decision, they are a school that really cares about their students and they are on the rise.

User avatar
devilishangelrjp
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am

MBZags wrote:Yikes, I guess I'm in for a long wait. They didn't update my application with my new score until 1/13.


Me neither.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby gymboree » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:25 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:I don't know about y'all, but I certainly enjoyed the admitted students day. It is certainly going to be a tough decision, they are a school that really cares about their students and they are on the rise.


+1
Great day. Loved the presentation on clinics during the morning's panel.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby isaiah6v8 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 am

gymboree wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:I don't know about y'all, but I certainly enjoyed the admitted students day. It is certainly going to be a tough decision, they are a school that really cares about their students and they are on the rise.


+1
Great day. Loved the presentation on clinics during the morning's panel.


I liked that professor, actually, i liked all of them. Which Con Law class did you sit in on? I had Horowitz, which was a little different, I liked his style, but 10 minutes into class I noticed that not a single student was using a laptop, later I found out he doesn't allow them.

idksomeone
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby idksomeone » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:55 am

vanstone22 wrote:File has been incomplete items outstanding for about a month now...is this normal?


i was incomplete items outstanding for a month-ish... i actually got the acceptance call two weeks before it moved to decision

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby isaiah6v8 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:51 pm

any other thoughts on the admitted students day? I am finding myself with a difficult decision, but I would like to hear what others thought. Especially those of you from out of state, and even out of the southeast region.

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby tarheel87 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:16 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:any other thoughts on the admitted students day? I am finding myself with a difficult decision, but I would like to hear what others thought. Especially those of you from out of state, and even out of the southeast region.


Loved it, loved the school, loved the program, loved Tuscaloosa, as of right now its probably my top choice. OOS. My final decision looks to be incredibly difficult.

married0L
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby married0L » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:46 pm

I have been a little frustrated with the relative slowness of the Alabama committee with my application thus far. I heard back from other similarly ranked schools (public and private) within days of submission. Yet, Alabama has just now gone complete. I have numbers well above medians. Perhaps I am just feeling entitled, but c'mon lets get with it. I have heard so many good things about their administration, but I have been unimpressed thus far. Rant over.

I hope to hear from them soon.

theonemind
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby theonemind » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:09 pm

I was impressed by the Admitted Students Day, but I'm still somewhat unconvinced about the portability of the degree. I am from the northeast, and whenever I mention Alabama, everyone goes "Alabama?! Why on earth would you go to Alabama?"...so I am worried that there is a lag in reputation relative to the ranking. Does anyone else from out of the region have similar concerns? Graduating with almost no debt would be great, but useless if I cannot find a job in the area I want to live.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby lawhawk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:19 pm

theonemind wrote:I was impressed by the Admitted Students Day, but I'm still somewhat unconvinced about the portability of the degree. I am from the northeast, and whenever I mention Alabama, everyone goes "Alabama?! Why on earth would you go to Alabama?"...so I am worried that there is a lag in reputation relative to the ranking. Does anyone else from out of the region have similar concerns? Graduating with almost no debt would be great, but useless if I cannot find a job in the area I want to live.



Well, where do you want to live? In Alabama/Mississippi/TN/GA UA is a great degree. In New England UA is not a good degree.

theonemind
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby theonemind » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:24 pm

lawhawk wrote:
theonemind wrote:I was impressed by the Admitted Students Day, but I'm still somewhat unconvinced about the portability of the degree. I am from the northeast, and whenever I mention Alabama, everyone goes "Alabama?! Why on earth would you go to Alabama?"...so I am worried that there is a lag in reputation relative to the ranking. Does anyone else from out of the region have similar concerns? Graduating with almost no debt would be great, but useless if I cannot find a job in the area I want to live.



Well, where do you want to live? In Alabama/Mississippi/TN/GA UA is a great degree. In New England UA is not a good degree.


That is the thing...I am not sure, but I probably want to end up in NY/Boston/DC. They were trying very hard to convince us that the degree is portable out of the region, but unfortunately it just does not seem like that is the case.

User avatar
reebtoor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby reebtoor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:41 am

I'm in a similar position. OOS, don't know for sure where I want to end up. Every school will tell you they have alumni all over the country, but the truth is, it's not really a safe bet outside the T14. Even then, it can be tough. If you're sure you don't want to live in the South, go somewhere closer to home. I, on the other hand, think I could be happy in the South, so it's a very tough decision.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby robin600 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 am

reebtoor wrote:I'm in a similar position. OOS, don't know for sure where I want to end up. Every school will tell you they have alumni all over the country, but the truth is, it's not really a safe bet outside the T14. Even then, it can be tough. If you're sure you don't want to live in the South, go somewhere closer to home. I, on the other hand, think I could be happy in the South, so it's a very tough decision.

I can see myself in the south, well with a hot southern gentlemen that is. accents make me quiver!

Actually Bama has a great DC and public interest placement rating outside the south if you're interested in working there or in that field. Something to consider!

BTW I'm still pending decision at Bama, but my Vandy WL takes the sting off this super long wait from them!

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Alabama 2010

Postby isaiah6v8 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:54 pm

theonemind wrote:I was impressed by the Admitted Students Day, but I'm still somewhat unconvinced about the portability of the degree. I am from the northeast, and whenever I mention Alabama, everyone goes "Alabama?! Why on earth would you go to Alabama?"...so I am worried that there is a lag in reputation relative to the ranking. Does anyone else from out of the region have similar concerns? Graduating with almost no debt would be great, but useless if I cannot find a job in the area I want to live.


I have similar concerns, though, in talking with current students as well as hearing from the CSO guy, (who I thought should be calling football games with a voice like that) I was fairly convinced that I could go to places I was interested in with a JD from UA. That being said, I am still not decided.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], MSNbot Media and 4 guests