Alabama 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
isaiah6v8

Re: Alabama

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 pm

gymboree wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:so, as we are about two weeks from the admitted students day, did we decide on a TLS meetup? Just wondering.

That would be fun. Ideas? Maybe we wait to see what the agenda is and work from there.

should we design a secret TLS handshake for when we meet everybody that day? Or a saying like: The rains in Spain... Or maybe just slide your finger across the bridge of you nose, ala The Sting. :lol:

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
gymboree wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:so, as we are about two weeks from the admitted students day, did we decide on a TLS meetup? Just wondering.

That would be fun. Ideas? Maybe we wait to see what the agenda is and work from there.

should we design a secret TLS handshake for when we meet everybody that day? Or a saying like: The rains in Spain... Or maybe just slide your finger across the bridge of you nose, ala The Sting. :lol:

That's so funny, because my wife is coming with me and I told her would be invited to everything but, as she termed it, my "little chat room meet-up." (should it materialize)

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:23 pm

reebtoor wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
gymboree wrote:

That's so funny, because my wife is coming with me and I told her would be invited to everything but, as she termed it, my "little chat room meet-up." (should it materialize)

my wife is coming, too, so they can just hang out. They can have their own handshake.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm still waiting on a decision and I submitted in November, I'm getting really scared!

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am

robin600 wrote:I'm still waiting on a decision and I submitted in November, I'm getting really scared!

numbers?

Miltiades

Postby Miltiades » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:48 am

I'd be too bashful to meet you guys, but I'll definitely try and guess who the TLSers are.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:15 am

gymboree wrote:
robin600 wrote:I'm still waiting on a decision and I submitted in November, I'm getting really scared!

numbers?

163/3.65

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 am

gymboree wrote:

Maybe we could all grab a beer Thursday night when we get in?

guardgrl2013

Postby guardgrl2013 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 am

reebtoor wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
gymboree wrote:

Can we bring guests to the activities during the day? My husband is traveling with me, but I wasn't sure I could include him in the Q and A sessions and the class and stuff.

forza

Postby forza » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 am

Last edited by forza on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miltiades

Postby Miltiades » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am

It isn't too hard to find a place to grab a beer in Tuscaloosa though. Guys/gals...just head for the strip.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 am

Miltiades wrote:It isn't too hard to find a place to grab a beer in Tuscaloosa though. Guys/gals...just head for the strip.

Strip sucks. Downtown/temerson square area is much better. Egan's is the only decent place on the Strip.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:47 am

How about this: anybody interested in hanging out, PM me, and I will be Social Chair.

Miltiades

Postby Miltiades » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 am

thickfreakness wrote:
Miltiades wrote:It isn't too hard to find a place to grab a beer in Tuscaloosa though. Guys/gals...just head for the strip.

Strip sucks. Downtown/temerson square area is much better. Egan's is the only decent place on the Strip.

People that have never been in town will likely find parking Downtown to be an adventure. The strip is a slightly long walk from the Law School. It would give them an opportunity to walk through the campus they are thinking about joining.

Just whatever you do, don't go to the Mellow Mushroom. The pizza is awful and the "music" playing will make your ears bleed.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Miltiades wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

People that have never been in town will likely find parking Downtown to be an adventure. The strip is a slightly long walk from the Law School. It would give them an opportunity to walk through the campus they are thinking about joining.

Just whatever you do, don't go to the Mellow Mushroom. The pizza is awful and the "music" playing will make your ears bleed.

We have one of those on the drag next to UT Austin. This is an accurate description.

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 pm

For those of you that live in Tuscaloosa, are there any places that my wife and daughter and I have to see other than the campus? Things that just make Tuscaloosa the town that it is? Maybe some places to eat that I would regret having not been to? (or even might regreat having gone to.)

Miltiades

Postby Miltiades » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:02 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:For those of you that live in Tuscaloosa, are there any places that my wife and daughter and I have to see other than the campus? Things that just make Tuscaloosa the town that it is? Maybe some places to eat that I would regret having not been to? (or even might regreat having gone to.)

Hmmm...there is historic downtown Northport and a hole in the wall called City Cafe where the prices are low, and the food is usually good if you like a meat and three type place. Oh and just so you know Northport is just a town/burb right beside Tuscaloosa so I'm not sending you out to the sticks.

idksomeone

Postby idksomeone » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:18 am

this thread makes me feel like i will be the only unmarried person at asd. and possibly in the entire class.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 am

idksomeone wrote:this thread makes me feel like i will be the only unmarried person at asd. and possibly in the entire class.

I can't imagine that you'll be the only single person there, and you are certainly not the only one in the potential class of 2010. Besides, I'll bet the married couples are nice to hang out with, aren't y'all? I'd come but it's just too far at just over 8,000 miles.

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:
idksomeone wrote:this thread makes me feel like i will be the only unmarried person at asd. and possibly in the entire class.

I can't imagine that you'll be the only single person there, and you are certainly not the only one in the potential class of 2010. Besides, I'll bet the married couples are nice to hang out with, aren't y'all? I'd come but it's just too far at just over 8,000 miles.

8000? Where are you?

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:37 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:

8000? Where are you?

Asia.

theonemind

Postby theonemind » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:19 am

I'm definitely not married and I'll be there. We can hang out when everyone goes off with their families.

Thomas Sutpen

Postby Thomas Sutpen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:34 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:For those of you that live in Tuscaloosa, are there any places that my wife and daughter and I have to see other than the campus? Things that just make Tuscaloosa the town that it is? Maybe some places to eat that I would regret having not been to? (or even might regreat having gone to.)

Hooligans.

And can I be the voice of decent? I loved most of the people in the admissions office, but I talked with one woman that literally made me feel like I was trying to explain that I wasn't a dumbass for making a 162 the first go around on the LSAT. She left a horrible taste in my mouth for Alabama. And I'm from Alabama! I love the state. So I got a 164 the second time and haven't heard anything back. But geez, I was embarassed, and not only myself, but for her. She was straight up rude.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:07 am

Go to historic downtown Tuscaloosa. To get there, you just keep driving down University Blvd, past the Strip (which is the more popular area for undergrads) and you will just run into it. They're doing some construction, but it's a really neat part of town, with the BEST restaurants. I highly recommend DePalma's for great Italian, it can be a bit of a wait though, unless you go early. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but across the street from DePalma's there is a neat Tuscaloosa Children's Hands-On Museum that she might enjoy. If you don't like Italian, Chuck's Fish is a good restaurant, though it can be a little pricy. For breakfast, behind Depalma's there is a row of restaurants with one long patio out front, and on the left end there is a fantastic German bakery called Edelweiss. Go there!

The riverwalk, which runs along Jack Warner Parkway is fun also, and is a great running/walking trail if you like the outdoors. Let me know if you need any other suggestions - I've lived here almost three years now.

law_seeker

Postby law_seeker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 am

lol...I got almost the same experience. They are selectively nice to people who they think are good candidates. For those "not good ones",en...//frown

Thomas Sutpen wrote:

Hooligans.

And can I be the voice of decent? I loved most of the people in the admissions office, but I talked with one woman that literally made me feel like I was trying to explain that I wasn't a dumbass for making a 162 the first go around on the LSAT. She left a horrible taste in my mouth for Alabama. And I'm from Alabama! I love the state. So I got a 164 the second time and haven't heard anything back. But geez, I was embarassed, and not only myself, but for her. She was straight up rude.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”