Alabama 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
philosoraptor

Re: Alabama

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:01 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Something weird is going on with my status checker. Every time I click on the "Check Application Status," it opens Outlook to email the admissions office. Did anyone else have this happen, or is having this issue now?

Looks like the link is just a little confused. If you check your status under the "Graduate Admissions," it'll take you to the right page.

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:52 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:Something weird is going on with my status checker. Every time I click on the "Check Application Status," it opens Outlook to email the admissions office. Did anyone else have this happen, or is having this issue now?

Looks like the link is just a little confused. If you check your status under the "Graduate Admissions," it'll take you to the right page.

Ahhh, thanks philosoraptor! I also very much enjoy your username and avatar.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:15 pm

GatorGirl1230 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:Wow, I have to say, Alabama has a great admissions staff, they are really helping me out to get the admitted students day. They sure know what they are doing.

+1 - they emailed within a day after being accepted abouot helping me get out to visit the school in January :)

I have been extremely impressed with their admissions staff. They seem to be writing the playbook on how to handle admissions. I think this is going to impact their yield. The experience is so different with other schools, they definitely stand out.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:54 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

Ahhh, thanks philosoraptor! I also very much enjoy your username and avatar.

Thank you. The wisdom of the noble Philosoraptor, a beacon shining bright on the stormy seas of the intertubes, is my unerring guide in law school admissions. (Or at least in navigating unorthodox status checkers. Something like that.)

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:55 pm

gymboree wrote:
GatorGirl1230 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:Wow, I have to say, Alabama has a great admissions staff, they are really helping me out to get the admitted students day. They sure know what they are doing.

+1 - they emailed within a day after being accepted abouot helping me get out to visit the school in January :)

I have been extremely impressed with their admissions staff. They seem to be writing the playbook on how to handle admissions. I think this is going to impact their yield. The experience is so different with other schools, they definitely stand out.

+3. Who all is going in January?

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:59 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
gymboree wrote:
GatorGirl1230 wrote:

+3. Who all is going in January?

I will be there.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:08 pm

gymboree wrote:
GatorGirl1230 wrote:

Definitely, Alabama has gone from hardly on my map to one of my top choices. I honestly would choose it over UGA or UNC (if I got in) as of today. They have been VERY accommodating, sent me a number of items, had the dean call me, and generally stayed in constant contact over the entire process. From speaking with Dean Randall (biased I know, but still....) I would call these long-standing rumors of extremely limited degree portability from Alabama patently false. Despite their seemingly poor reputation on TLS they have impressed me in every step of the way thus far.

EDIT: I'll be at ASW as well.
Last edited by tarheel87 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:09 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:

I will be there.

Should we start arranging a TLS meetup?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:42 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:

I will be there.

Should we start arranging a TLS meetup?

I'll be at the ASW in January. Also, their yield is already actually really good because of the admissions staff and the large number of scholarships they offer.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 pm

I got a nice t-shirt today...they sure got their marketing department working overtime

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:43 am

i want a t shirt soo badly. While I have no real interest in attending alabama (a jew in tuscaloosa?), i think its an awesome school based on football history alone. I applied last week after receiving application waiver. I would just love that t shirt if it is in their colors. Also, I am a mich. state student so I am a big fan of Saban.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:39 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:I got a nice t-shirt today...they sure got their marketing department working overtime

+1
I am worried that they have me confused with an outstanding high school running back.

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 pm

I will be there. No shirt though. :cry:

EDIT: I will be wearing a shirt. I just haven't received one in the mail.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:09 pm

reebtoor wrote:I will be there. No shirt though. :cry:

EDIT: I will be wearing a shirt. I just haven't received one in the mail.

Very disappointing.

Is everybody getting in Thursday night?

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:20 pm

I got the earliest flight in and the latest flight out. I'm hoping to see some of T-town while I'm there.

bissey

Postby bissey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:20 pm

got the shirt too. it is size xl; i wear medium. worthless.

i'll be going in jan though.

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:23 pm

bissey wrote:got the shirt too. it is size xl; i wear medium. worthless.

It's just kind of funny to me. An oversized shirt is part of the white-trash/redneck Alabama stereotype. Maybe they don't know any better. :wink:

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Why do they always do this?? Maybe your app made you come across as...chunky?

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Zojirushi wrote:

It's their version of "one size fits all"

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 pm

reebtoor wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:

It's their version of "one size fits all"

okay, I got my acceptance call on the 11th, and still have not received my acceptance packet, much less a T-shirt. What gives? If they weren't helping me out so much in getting there for admitted student day, would have thought the phone call may have been a mistake! How long did it take everyone else to get their packets in the mail, after the call?

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Haven't gotten mine either.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:52 pm

It took a couple days for me to get my packet. They sent it to my permanent address though, not my current address.

law_seeker

Postby law_seeker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:52 pm

I am living in Tuscaloosa. It is really a small town. The university is the only biggest thing here. During the summer and winter vacation, this town seems dead.

eskimo wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:got my call on Friday last week, very excited, one of the two best ranked schools that I applied to. 167, 2.6 - Not-trad, out for 7 years. Asked me to attend the admitted students thing, but no offer to pay my way, i guess you have to have a better GPA for that. I haven't gotten the letter or the any $ info in the mail yet. Anyone planning on going to the admitted students day? I was posting on the old thread and wasn't getting many hits, then I saw this one pop to the top. What is everyone's take on the school, I am pretty limited in my impression of it, other than info on here, online elsewhere, and the USNEWS ranking.

UA undergrad here; honestly, you'll have to form your own opinion about the school, and you really need to visit. What makes some people love Tuscaloosa/UA will be what others hate most, and vice versa. It's a great law school academically, but as a previous poster mentioned, Tuscaloosa is not for everyone and is a very slow town. I would highly recommend coming in for a whole weekend and seeing if it is the right place for you.

That being said, it doesn't get any better than Alabama football. Definitely not a bad town to be in on Saturdays in the fall.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:51 pm

I will be at the ASW. I too have been very impressed with the admissions office. Alabama is probably at the top of my list even though I have several acceptances from more highly ranked schools.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 pm

Anyone know how long does it take for an admitted applicant to find out about whether or not there is any $$$$ being offered.

Also is anyone else nervous about committing to Alabama because of the $ and not keeping the 3.0?

Happy new year to all TLS users.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”