Alabama 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TruckerD

Re: Alabama

Postby TruckerD » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:54 pm

BearDownChicago wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
wired wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Can someone post a tim-tebow cry photo?

--ImageRemoved--

That's the best I could do.

This ^^ makes me happy. :D

--ImageRemoved--

more like 'bama 32:13

I just have to giggle at this :lol:

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:35 am

Okay potential 1L's...exams are winding down, well not really, but i'm done with the 2 I needed to worry about the most, and I haven't noticed any "bama 1L taking questions threads" so here I am! I'm willing to answer any questions you might have in this thread or via pm. I'll be as candid as possible, and i'll check back probably once or twice a day.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 pm

hombredulce wrote:Okay potential 1L's...exams are winding down, well not really, but i'm done with the 2 I needed to worry about the most, and I haven't noticed any "bama 1L taking questions threads" so here I am! I'm willing to answer any questions you might have in this thread or via pm. I'll be as candid as possible, and i'll check back probably once or twice a day.

What made you choose Bama? Specifically what made you choose them over UGA? How do you like it? Any idea about job prospects or portability yet? Do they stack sections? And does it seem like most people lost their scholarships after 1L?

Sorry...I have alot of questions. I figure that should do...for now. Thanks though! I appreciate it.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:15 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
What made you choose Bama? Specifically what made you choose them over UGA? How do you like it? Any idea about job prospects or portability yet? Do they stack sections? And does it seem like most people lost their scholarships after 1L?

Sorry...I have alot of questions. I figure that should do...for now. Thanks though! I appreciate it.

Q. What made me chose Bama

- They recruited me really hard, gave me a great scholarship, and everyone at the school was super friendly. When I came for my visit I was really happy to see students of all shapes and sizes working and laughing together. They weren't just being cordial, they were actually friendly. The same vibe existed between teachers and students. I saw students talking to teachers about class, about summer vacation, and all sorts of other esoteric things that (to me) showed the closeness of the school as a whole.
-I also really liked how small the incoming class was (about 180), and how small the school was overall (about 450); to me that brought with it a feeling of community that's absent from most schools in this range of the rankings.
-The administrators at the school also seemed genuinely excited about getting better. It was refreshing to walk into a place and not feel like the only one who is waiting to work hard and "strut their stuff" so to speak. I just felt like the school was headed in a good direction, and they wanted me to be a part of that.

Q. Why Bama over UGA

- Well this is just gonna be my why Bama over all the other schools I got into (2 t25's and > 20 [cant remember all of em lol] schools in the top 100). Specifically UGA though=late wait list+no money. For everywhere else, I was really just focused on my career and the level of competition i'd face when I started to look for a job. Here I just looked at the relative strengths of other schools in a region, the level of appeal that market has to t14 grads, and the presence of other strong schools in the state. Aside from that, COL was important to me...i'll graduate from Bama with absolutely no debt because I can pay living expenses out of pocket.
-Honestly the factors that are important will be different for each person. I can honestly say i'm happy here; this place is a good fit for ME. My advice to you is to visit schools youre interested in, don't put so much thought into the rankings, and decide what factors are most important to you and where happiness fits into that list.

Q. How do I like bama

-I am happy. My teachers have been great. My classmates have diverse life experiences. The level of access we have to professors and the deans is unparalleled imo (i'd be shocked if you could name another school where a teacher comes on Thanksgiving morning to help a student get their books out of the locked library). Especially the deans; they talk to us and genuinely want our opinion on things. The facilities aren't breathtaking like other schools i've visited, but they are adequate. All that said, Tuscaloosa isn't for everyone. If you can't handle a slow town you'll probably be miserable here. There are some bars, and of course there is sec football, but there isn't much else around here. If you don't mind traveling though, Atlanta and Birmingham are not far away.

Q. What do I know about job prospects and portability

-I know a couple of 3L's with six figure offers already. That is a small sample though, I also know people who don't have jobs at all. None of the upperclassmen I know seem to be panicking, but again small sample I suppose. Your job prospects are obviously best in Bama, after all, you are at the best school in Bama. That might not be a bad thing though, Bama firms have good pay, and lower billable hour requirements than firms in other major cities. Firms here also hire a lot of summer associates, even in this economy. From what i've seen, there are opportunities to do PI, DA, public defender, US attorney too.
- As far as portability, the school is trying. Out of staters express displeasure because Bama firms think they'll bolt and other states wonder about their ties to that specific state. A Bama degree still "seems" portable from LA (Louisiana) through FL and up into DC...if you do your leg work. The biggest misconception people have is that the CSO will pound the pavement and beat down doors so you can get a job; that is not the case. I'm only a 1L, but I can tell you from my own experience that if you put yourself in front of the decision makers, your charisma, work ethic, and desire will take you a long long way. You can lock up OCI spots before you ever even get one grade (trust me on this one).

Q. Section stacking and scholarships in general.

- I'm really not sure if any school "stacks" sections like we think. I do know that here at Bama about 60% of the incoming students have half or full scholarships (according to the aba). Most of those scholarships have a 3.0 requirement (top 1/3). So you do the math on that.....

Hope I answered all of em.....

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:55 pm

In via phone call!!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:08 pm

reebtoor wrote:In via phone call!!

Congrats.

When did you go complete? did $ info come along?

theonemind

Postby theonemind » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm in today via phone call. And the really nice lady said they would pay for me to go to the admitted students weekend in January. This is my first acceptance, so it feels great.

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
reebtoor wrote:In via phone call!!

Congrats.

When did you go complete? did $ info come along?

Complete 11/24. No money yet.

wired

Postby wired » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:30 pm

theonemind wrote:I'm in today via phone call. And the really nice lady said they would pay for me to go to the admitted students weekend in January. This is my first acceptance, so it feels great.

Congrats on the first one!

Wanpsack1

Postby Wanpsack1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Got my call today. I'm in! It is nice to get that first acceptance under your belt. Now I can look myself in the mirror and tell myself that not everyone hates me. :wink:

sladegalute

Postby sladegalute » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:07 am

Accepted 12/11 via a phone call. Lady seemed friendly and asked me to attend the admitted students weekend in January. 3.41/ 168

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:37 am

Congrats on your acceptance.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:32 pm

In at BAMA, found out through e-mail, but I don't know if I received a Scholarship. Definitely excited about the possibility of attending such a prestigious school.

allon2008

Postby allon2008 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 pm

Congrats!!!

Would you guys please provide your stats if you get in? Thanks!

Wanpsack1

Postby Wanpsack1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Though this law school cycle has been somewhat stressful, it has allowed me to make a huge decision in my life.....who to root for in the BCS (which I hate) Championship game. Accepted at Alabama :D , rejected at Texas :evil: . Roll Tide!!! :twisted:

kylep23

Postby kylep23 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:05 am

Received a phone call today!
165/3.89 from GA.

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 am

got my call on Friday last week, very excited, one of the two best ranked schools that I applied to. 167, 2.6 - Not-trad, out for 7 years. Asked me to attend the admitted students thing, but no offer to pay my way, i guess you have to have a better GPA for that. I haven't gotten the letter or the any $ info in the mail yet. Anyone planning on going to the admitted students day? I was posting on the old thread and wasn't getting many hits, then I saw this one pop to the top. What is everyone's take on the school, I am pretty limited in my impression of it, other than info on here, online elsewhere, and the USNEWS ranking.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:got my call on Friday last week, very excited, one of the two best ranked schools that I applied to. 167, 2.6 - Not-trad, out for 7 years. Asked me to attend the admitted students thing, but no offer to pay my way, i guess you have to have a better GPA for that. I haven't gotten the letter or the any $ info in the mail yet. Anyone planning on going to the admitted students day? I was posting on the old thread and wasn't getting many hits, then I saw this one pop to the top. What is everyone's take on the school, I am pretty limited in my impression of it, other than info on here, online elsewhere, and the USNEWS ranking.

UA undergrad here; honestly, you'll have to form your own opinion about the school, and you really need to visit. What makes some people love Tuscaloosa/UA will be what others hate most, and vice versa. It's a great law school academically, but as a previous poster mentioned, Tuscaloosa is not for everyone and is a very slow town. I would highly recommend coming in for a whole weekend and seeing if it is the right place for you.

That being said, it doesn't get any better than Alabama football. Definitely not a bad town to be in on Saturdays in the fall.

jlue05

Postby jlue05 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Finally got my iTunes giftcard. No acceptances this week but at least I can buy some music. Thank you Alabama.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Just withdrew my application after being granted admission on 10/29. Hope it helps one of you out in the future.

FYI - I was out-of-state so it should free up another one of those spots. It should also free up an extra $75,000 in scholarship aid, which is the award I received from Alabama.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:10 am

No more questions?

*edit* don't want to clutter up this thread so if there are questions ask em here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99772

Also, congrats to all of those who were recently accepted.

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Wow, I have to say, Alabama has a great admissions staff, they are really helping me out to get the admitted students day. They sure know what they are doing.

GatorGirl1230

Postby GatorGirl1230 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:17 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:Wow, I have to say, Alabama has a great admissions staff, they are really helping me out to get the admitted students day. They sure know what they are doing.

+1 - they emailed within a day after being accepted abouot helping me get out to visit the school in January :)

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Something weird is going on with my status checker. Every time I click on the "Check Application Status," it opens Outlook to email the admissions office. Did anyone else have this happen, or is having this issue now?

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:58 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Something weird is going on with my status checker. Every time I click on the "Check Application Status," it opens Outlook to email the admissions office. Did anyone else have this happen, or is having this issue now?

Ditto.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”