Alabama 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CoutureChiq

Re: Alabama

Postby CoutureChiq » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:06 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Wow in today with $20,000 a year. Did not expect this at all. Bama just went from barely on my radar to wayyyy up there. I'm eager to see the stipulations though. Definitely at least attending the expenses paid ASW.

In today as well, $22,500/year.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:08 pm

All the scholarships will have a 3.0 GPA stipulation attached, which equates to being slightly higher than top 1/3 of the class. I haven't heard of them section stacking, but the GPA stipulations are a little bit annoying. I guess the upshot is that if you do lose the scholarship the tuition and cost of living isn't very expensive, so you won't get swamped with debt.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 pm

In via phone call today with a 22K year scholarship. So how hard is it to maintain this 3.0 that people are speaking about? It is important for me to consider Alabama v. some of the other schools.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Congrats to you guys on Bama, I have two friends from undergrad that are on full scholarships at Bama and they love it.

Seems to be a great mix of a solid legal education and a fun experience (football, girls, bar scene).

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Alabama's curve is set quite low at 2.67, so maintain a 3.0 won't be a cakewalk.

chnike112

Postby chnike112 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:19 am

thickfreakness wrote:All the scholarships will have a 3.0 GPA stipulation attached, which equates to being slightly higher than top 1/3 of the class. I haven't heard of them section stacking, but the GPA stipulations are a little bit annoying. I guess the upshot is that if you do lose the scholarship the tuition and cost of living isn't very expensive, so you won't get swamped with debt.

I got in today w/ 25k per year scholarship and they told me that I needed to maintain a 2.5. Also, they said they would "help" pay for a flight and hotel out there and I asked what that meant and they said they would pay for both. Don't know if these conditions are specific to me or to everyone else but thought i'd share...

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:07 am

In as well with $15,000/year.
Stats: 166 (164 average)/3.29
Congrats to all accepted and good luck to all still waiting!

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:08 am

chnike112 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:All the scholarships will have a 3.0 GPA stipulation attached, which equates to being slightly higher than top 1/3 of the class. I haven't heard of them section stacking, but the GPA stipulations are a little bit annoying. I guess the upshot is that if you do lose the scholarship the tuition and cost of living isn't very expensive, so you won't get swamped with debt.

I got in today w/ 25k per year scholarship and they told me that I needed to maintain a 2.5. Also, they said they would "help" pay for a flight and hotel out there and I asked what that meant and they said they would pay for both. Don't know if these conditions are specific to me or to everyone else but thought i'd share...

Minority scholarship? Mine was definitely top 1/3.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:20 am

In today via email, with the $22.5k scholly. Very nice.

CoutureChiq

Postby CoutureChiq » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:23 am

chnike112 wrote:

I got the flight and hotel deal too, but the scholarship stipulation was definately top third.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:36 am

crackberry wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Got my scholarship package this weekend. $27k a year, so I guess it's full tuition.

Did it come separately from the huge acceptance binder/packet? Or was it included?

It was included in there. I think they probably just forgot to put yours in that package...

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:46 am

current curve is 2.8 so a 3.0 would be roughly 1/3.

1L's for Fall 2010 (that means you guys) will have a curve of 3.2 though.

chnike112

Postby chnike112 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:08 am

LSATfromNC wrote:
chnike112 wrote:

Minority scholarship? Mine was definitely top 1/3.

I am a minority so that could be it. My interaction was over the phone with two people in the admissions office. When it comes in writing I'll let you know

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 pm

For those of you accepted congrats. Did your Bama status checker change to accepted before you got a phone call or e-mail? My status checker changed to pending a couple of days ago and Im wondering if I should be compulsively checking that or waiting for a phone call or email haha.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:11 pm

My status checker changed to decision rendered.

I do have a question of my own though. If you drop under the top third requirement after 1L does that mean you lose your scholarship for your 1L/2L/3L years or just for the 2L and 3L years? Might be a stupid question but I'm a little curious.

slates33

Postby slates33 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:15 pm

hombredulce wrote:current curve is 2.8 so a 3.0 would be roughly 1/3.

Where did you hear this?

CoutureChiq

Postby CoutureChiq » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Click on the actual application.
ntzsch wrote:what do people's applications status look like? mine just says "date created" 11/4. Do they ever say "complete" or "under review" or something like that, or does it just go from "date created" to "decision rendered" ?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm

slates33 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

From my student handbook.....

also see:

http://www.law.ua.edu/students/info.php?re=hb-grading

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:42 pm

hombredulce wrote:
slates33 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

From my student handbook.....

also see:

http://www.law.ua.edu/students/info.php?re=hb-grading

Nice. Well that actually affects the scholarship stipulations a bit, considering the old curve. It looks like the 3.0 stip is going to move that requirement to being about in the top 65% of the class or so, which is MUCH more manageable than top 1/3.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:46 pm

ntzsch wrote:what do people's applications status look like? mine just says "date created" 11/4. Do they ever say "complete" or "under review" or something like that, or does it just go from "date created" to "decision rendered" ?

Application Status: Complete ready for review

drop a few lines

Date Created: Oct 27, 2009

hope this helps.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:17 pm

I have to say, I have been impressed with Alabama so far. They have been super helpful and nice. I've talked with a professor, and my wife and I scheduled a visit just before Christmas. They booked our hotel for us, and even accommodated our special situation with our pet coming! Page is really awesome! I'm not saying I'm going here...yet, but they are definitely a contender at this point!

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 pm

TruckerD wrote:I have to say, I have been impressed with Alabama so far. They have been super helpful and nice. I've talked with a professor, and my wife and I scheduled a visit just before Christmas. They booked our hotel for us, and even accommodated our special situation with our pet coming! Page is really awesome! I'm not saying I'm going here...yet, but they are definitely a contender at this point!

Yeah, I went through an admissions cycle last year and I was blown away by their admissions staff, professors, students, and Dean Randall. It's a great school, honestly. The only problem I had was in the current students' forum they hosted they only had students from the very top of the class--all on law review, etc.--so they had good jobs, clerkships, etc. However, you didn't really get a feel for how far down the class the good opportunities fell. Obviously you want to put your best foot forward on the ASWs, but at other schools I visited the staffs were more open and accepting of the relative limitation of their students' opportunities ITE.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Got a call from the dean last night, nice touch.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:36 pm

ntzsch wrote:finaly went complete today.

How long after did ya'll (i can use that with no inhibitions in the AU thread) here back?

Dont' let y'all ruin your ability to spell 'hear.' :P

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:45 pm

ntzsch wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:
ntzsch wrote:finaly went complete today.

How long after did ya'll (i can use that with no inhibitions in the AU thread) here back?

Dont' let y'all ruin your ability to spell 'hear.' :P

i wont. 8)

I will have to look up the ya'll vs. y'all, however .

It's a contraction of the phrase "you all." 'Ya'll' doesn't make sense.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”