Alabama 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
reebtoor

Bronze

Re: Alabama 2010

Post by reebtoor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Now that we've had a few days to marinate, what are y'all thinking? The more I think about it the more I like it. I think visiting a school is really about getting the vibe. At one point while I was there, I found myself coming to the conclusion that people are basically good. Since I am generally a cynic, I would say the vibe was pretty good.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:44 pm

reebtoor wrote:Now that we've had a few days to marinate, what are y'all thinking? The more I think about it the more I like it. I think visiting a school is really about getting the vibe. At one point while I was there, I found myself coming to the conclusion that people are basically good. Since I am generally a cynic, I would say the vibe was pretty good.
nice.

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:45 pm

I liked the school but did not like the city at all.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

bissey wrote:I liked the school but did not like the city at all.
+1. And it was a little hard to separate the two. Sure, the campus area was awesome, but outside that, I was a bit disappointed.

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:32 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
+1. And it was a little hard to separate the two. Sure, the campus area was awesome, but outside that, I was a bit disappointed.
Hey guys

I am glad to see that several people had a positive impression after the ASD. Seems like the main concern for people is portability and apparantly Tuscaloosa.

On the first point, if you absolutely hate the idea of working in the south, you probably shouldn't go to Bama. But if you just want to make sure options are available, you might ask the law school to place you in contact with an alum in the area that you want to work. If they can't do it, then I guess that is your answer. My guess though is that in most places, they will have somebody for you to talk with. You can then find out from that person how difficult it was for them to find a job.

For those of you that didn't like Tuscaloosa, I was just wondering why. My guess is that you guys are from big cities, and I understand Tuscaloosa doesn't have everything big cities have. But if there is any other reason, I am just curious to know them.

Good Luck everyone!

Trucker D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:01 pm

TruckerD wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
Hey guys

I am glad to see that several people had a positive impression after the ASD. Seems like the main concern for people is portability and apparantly Tuscaloosa.

On the first point, if you absolutely hate the idea of working in the south, you probably shouldn't go to Bama. But if you just want to make sure options are available, you might ask the law school to place you in contact with an alum in the area that you want to work. If they can't do it, then I guess that is your answer. My guess though is that in most places, they will have somebody for you to talk with. You can then find out from that person how difficult it was for them to find a job.

For those of you that didn't like Tuscaloosa, I was just wondering why. My guess is that you guys are from big cities, and I understand Tuscaloosa doesn't have everything big cities have. But if there is any other reason, I am just curious to know them.

Good Luck everyone!

Trucker D
I've lived in a college town for the past 4 years. It's small but it's organized and clean. I did not see that in Tuscaloosa. It seemed very run-down and dirty. Maybe it was the part I drove through, but it did not seem like a place I would like to live. Even the downtown area (the Strip) was not very nice. It just wasn't a very appealing city. I didn't see the Southern charm. That's my thought on it.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:35 pm

TruckerD wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
Hey guys

Good Luck everyone!

Trucker D
Hey Trucker D,
I thought it was great around the campus, but like the other poster said, outside of that was what concerned me. It didn't look like they were doing much to make the city nicer. But it also seemed like a lot of the parts of Alabama that I saw that weekend were that way. But in addition to that, it wasn't as nice, but rent will cost me more there for my small family than it would at any other school I am considering, including Dallas. My mortgage payment would not have gotten me more than 1000 Sq. Ft. in a nice apt. with two bedrooms there. That is a big concern. I guess I could look farther from campus, but that was when it started looking crappier. They did have some things we loved, like a Publix near campus, and some neat looking eateries nearby. It is definitely going to be a tough decision.

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:37 pm

bissey wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
Hey guys

Good Luck everyone!

Trucker D
I've lived in a college town for the past 4 years. It's small but it's organized and clean. I did not see that in Tuscaloosa. It seemed very run-down and dirty. Maybe it was the part I drove through, but it did not seem like a place I would like to live. Even the downtown area (the Strip) was not very nice. It just wasn't a very appealing city. I didn't see the Southern charm. That's my thought on it.
Yeah, I can kinda see what you are saying. I know some parts are pretty run down ( I delivered to a shingle factory on the west side that was in an awful neighborhood). Tuscaloosa reminds me a lot of my undergrad hometown, Fayetteville, AR, but I do see that it doesn't have the sort of classic antebellum southerness of a place like Oxford, MS or Milledgeville, GA (where my grandparents lived). It's history must be a little more recent.

However, on the whole though it seems like a perfectly functioning, really fun town that is really centered on the school. And, of course depending on what you like, the food is amazing! I have two friends willing to drive 400 miles with me and help me move just so they can get dinner at Dreamland!

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
Hey guys

Good Luck everyone!

Trucker D
Hey Trucker D,
I thought it was great around the campus, but like the other poster said, outside of that was what concerned me. It didn't look like they were doing much to make the city nicer. But it also seemed like a lot of the parts of Alabama that I saw that weekend were that way. But in addition to that, it wasn't as nice, but rent will cost me more there for my small family than it would at any other school I am considering, including Dallas. My mortgage payment would not have gotten me more than 1000 Sq. Ft. in a nice apt. with two bedrooms there. That is a big concern. I guess I could look farther from campus, but that was when it started looking crappier. They did have some things we loved, like a Publix near campus, and some neat looking eateries nearby. It is definitely going to be a tough decision.
Isaiah,

I can definitely understand the importance of costs regarding this decision. For me, the rental market in Tuscaloosa is very similar to where I live now (Arkansas). My wife has researched an abundance of possibilities. So if you want to compare notes, just PM me and I am sure she will be happy to. As mentioned above, it's not the beautiful classic south, but from everything I have heard, Tuscaloosa does grow on you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Looking for housing close to campus is a waste of time. Most of those places are crummy and overpriced. They call them the "student slums" and its mostly undergrads and such. Look across the river in the Northport area and the housing is much, much, much nicer for less money. I lived over there in a house with two roomates for $350 a month flat for three years. My wife had a 2 BR apartment in a nice complex with over 1000 square feet and the apartment was 640 per month, split with a roommate.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:50 pm

TruckerD wrote:
Isaiah,

I can definitely understand the importance of costs regarding this decision. For me, the rental market in Tuscaloosa is very similar to where I live now (Arkansas). My wife has researched an abundance of possibilities. So if you want to compare notes, just PM me and I am sure she will be happy to. As mentioned above, it's not the beautiful classic south, but from everything I have heard, Tuscaloosa does grow on you.
Now Fayetteville, that is a really cool college town. I loved when I visited some friends there during UG. But the Law School at Arky leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks for the offer on the notes, if we continue to move forward on UA I will definitely PM you. I think we are still weighing the whole "being close to family" thing. I was impressed with the school itself, and I know if I do not go there, I may feel some regrets because of the direction the school is going in.

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Last edited by bissey on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Alright TLSers let's decode this email.....

Thank you for your email. Ms. Wren will be in touch with you next week about the status of your application. Thank you for applying!

Sincerely,
The Law School Admissions Office

thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 am

vanstone22 wrote:Alright TLSers let's decode this email.....

Thank you for your email. Ms. Wren will be in touch with you next week about the status of your application. Thank you for applying!

Sincerely,
The Law School Admissions Office

thoughts?
numbers?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

I went to "Decision Made" this morning, I think (I'm pretty sure I checked my status yesterday). I haven't received a phone call or e-mail, though, so I'm not sure what to think.

LawQs

New

Post by LawQs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm

me too. I just turned to decision made, and I'm wondering how long it takes for them to call you. I read past posts that said you can call and ask but that could be potentially awkward...

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Yeah, as much as I want to, I think I'll just play the waiting game.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 pm

MBZags wrote:I went to "Decision Made" this morning, I think (I'm pretty sure I checked my status yesterday). I haven't received a phone call or e-mail, though, so I'm not sure what to think.
Same here. Based on your stats and mine, however, I can't help but think it'll be good news. Maybe they just stop calling after their first round of admits.

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:29 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
MBZags wrote:I went to "Decision Made" this morning, I think (I'm pretty sure I checked my status yesterday). I haven't received a phone call or e-mail, though, so I'm not sure what to think.
Same here. Based on your stats and mine, however, I can't help but think it'll be good news. Maybe they just stop calling after their first round of admits.
I'm in via checking to see if I could send in a deposit.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:I'm in via checking to see if I could send in a deposit.
Well played -- congrats. Was that over the phone?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Oh I have a decision, too!!!!!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:51 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
No, but I just received the phone call.

I logged in, went to the Student tab, then went to the Student services folder with the deposit information in there, and it told me I was admitted but hadn't paid yet.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Yeah, I'm assuming I'm in, since there's a button now for me to Withdraw my application. No call yet, though.

rjp88

New

Post by rjp88 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:03 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
No, but I just received the phone call.

I logged in, went to the Student tab, then went to the Student services folder with the deposit information in there, and it told me I was admitted but hadn't paid yet.
Where is that located? Can't find it, although I do have the "withdraw" button now.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

woohoo! I found the deposit thing that say I'm admitted! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”