Alabama 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Re: Alabama

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 am

hypermeganet wrote:Am I just being dumb and not seeing a second essay on their application?
I saved every application I sent, and after reviewing it for the 4th time I can say that the experience essay is indicated nowhere.

No e-mail response yet.

guardgrl2013

New

Post by guardgrl2013 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 am

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:I got an e-mail from Bama yesterday about status checkers. It mentioned two essays for the application (it was a general e-mail). The website it directs you to (for uploading essays and resume) seems to indicate submitting two essays. The application directions and the application itself only indicated a personal statement so that's all I sent. I sent them an e-mail but haven't heard back. Just wondering if anyone else can shed light on this.

I received this e-mail yesterday. I e-mailed them as well and was really confused for a minute thinking I hadn't followed the directions. (I really thought that after they sent me the iTunes they were testing my loyalty.) I still haven't received a reply. I hope it's just a fluke and that I'll get my decision soon (applied 10/16).

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:52 am

guardgrl2013 wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:I got an e-mail from Bama yesterday about status checkers. It mentioned two essays for the application (it was a general e-mail). The website it directs you to (for uploading essays and resume) seems to indicate submitting two essays. The application directions and the application itself only indicated a personal statement so that's all I sent. I sent them an e-mail but haven't heard back. Just wondering if anyone else can shed light on this.

I received this e-mail yesterday. I e-mailed them as well and was really confused for a minute thinking I hadn't followed the directions. (I really thought that after they sent me the iTunes they were testing my loyalty.) I still haven't received a reply. I hope it's just a fluke and that I'll get my decision soon (applied 10/16).
So it sounds like they are at least consistent (in that the application and the e-mail were inconsistent for everyone). I guess that means we will either all have to write the extra essay or we will all not have to write the extra essay. Again, will advise when I hear from them. But this makes me very anxious. I spent a 26 hour period making sure all my applications went out without any problems.

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:53 am

--LinkRemoved--
You'll see how the application instructions includes a slightly different essay from the actual application. This is why you can't trust Bama.

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:56 am

The Zeppelin wrote:--LinkRemoved--
You'll see how the application instructions includes a slightly different essay from the actual application. This is why you can't trust Bama.
It only asks for one essay, though. And it's pretty much the standard PS topic essay (at least it is if you wrote about overcoming adversity).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 am

hypermeganet wrote:
It only asks for one essay, though. And it's pretty much the standard PS topic essay (at least it is if you wrote about overcoming adversity).
That depends how you interpret the application instructions. Common sense says that there's only one essay. Bama sense says that you complete the application (which includes one essay), pay the fee, and also provide an additional essay.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:03 am

The Zeppelin wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:
That depends how you interpret the application instructions. Common sense says that there's only one essay. Bama sense says that you complete the application (which includes one essay), pay the fee, and also provide an additional essay.
Still not as annoying as schools requiring applicants to submit a Dean's Certification.

App925

New

Post by App925 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 am

I called the Office of Admissions yesterday. They said that only one essay is required and that the email was a typo.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:07 am

App925 wrote:I called the Office of Admissions yesterday. They said that only one essay is required and that the email was a typo.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess calling is less passive-aggressive than e-mail, but to be fair I got the e-mail at 9PM 'Bama time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:08 am

lol.

i got this email as well. I figured they meant that I would need an additional essay because of my character and fitness addendum. Both essays were included, but the email made it seem as though there was clearly another essay that is still missing.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm

E-mail from Alabama admissions wrote:
Dear Awesome Kayaker,

Thank you for your email. The email that was sent mentioning the requirement of a second essay is a computer glitch. Last year, we required two essays; this year, we do not. We do not know why last year's email went out from a server across campus, but we are looking into it. I am very sorry for the confusion. Please disregard the email you received yesterday. Thank you for applying to The University of Alabama School of Law. If I may ever be of any assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Super Helpful Assistant Director of Admissions

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:33 pm

I still haven't received my iTunes yet.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:37 pm

Got mine. Spent it on a Damien Rice single, a few Rogue Wave songs, and the Christmas CD from the Honorary Title. Still have room to go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hhildebr

New

Post by hhildebr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:14 pm

My app says "Incomplete Items Outstanding." Did anyone else have this problem? Should I email them, or is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:57 pm

hhildebr wrote:My app says "Incomplete Items Outstanding." Did anyone else have this problem? Should I email them, or is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

Mine says the same. Apparently they thought I needed to send in my fee but I had it waived. I was told that they would keep my fee waiver on file and that I didn't need a code. Well, apparently they didn't and that has held up my application for ~3 weeks.

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Just got my iTunes.

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 pm

I got the email from Alabama about 2 essays, so I uploaded my DS, which I didn't include in my original application, to the linked website. Do you think this will delay my application?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm

FWIW, I talked with Page for about 10 minutes when I went and visited UA. She is nice. And a fox :wink:

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Got my scholarship package this weekend. $27k a year, so I guess it's full tuition.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Just got accepted via phone call with a $27,000 per year scholarship!! (full tuition, I think, according to their site?)! Woop! :D They also offered to help pay for me to visit. I thought that was interesting, and with the scholarship, I'd definitely consider taking them up on this offer and see what they have to offer.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:12 pm

I also just received a call. In with a $22,500 scholarship (169, 3.35).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:14 pm

wired wrote:I also just received a call. In with a $22,500 scholarship (169, 3.35).

Congrats!!!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Got my scholarship package this weekend. $27k a year, so I guess it's full tuition.
Did it come separately from the huge acceptance binder/packet? Or was it included?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Phone call today! In with a $15,000/year scholarship (full in-state tuition).

So nice to get that first acceptance.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Wow in today with $20,000 a year. Did not expect this at all. Bama just went from barely on my radar to wayyyy up there. I'm eager to see the stipulations though. Definitely at least attending the expenses paid ASW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”