Official "Who Did You Hear From Today?" 2009-2010 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: Official "Who Did You Hear From Today?" 2009-2010 Cycle

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:37 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
managamy wrote:
sharthree wrote:
An invitation to apply for a really incredible scholarship.

Now I am curious. Do you mean simply a full ride, or are there additional perks?

Full-ride plus small stipend I believe. It may just be the full-ride but COL in Ann Arbor can't be more than $13k/yr. The way it's talked about on here I'd say it's just as prestigious as Columbia's Hamilton. And Michigan gives out more Darrows than Columbia does w/ the Hamilton.

What is this scholarship? I applied to CLS but didn't know anything about it. Is it just for EDs, or might an RD be eligible?

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:45 am

brose002 wrote:
uganik wrote:DR GULC 12/01

=+1

+2

Postby 02082010 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:53 am

managamy wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
managamy wrote:
sharthree wrote:
An invitation to apply for a really incredible scholarship.

Now I am curious. Do you mean simply a full ride, or are there additional perks?

Full-ride plus small stipend I believe. It may just be the full-ride but COL in Ann Arbor can't be more than $13k/yr. The way it's talked about on here I'd say it's just as prestigious as Columbia's Hamilton. And Michigan gives out more Darrows than Columbia does w/ the Hamilton.

What is this scholarship? I applied to CLS but didn't know anything about it. Is it just for EDs, or might an RD be eligible?

It's their full tuition scholly. Ivy snobs and those with truly exceptional numbers believe Y or H or CLS w/ Hamilton are the only acceptable law school choices.

Edit: I think only RDers get the scholly. Why give $120k to someone bound to attend?

Oban

Postby Oban » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:38 am

clint4law wrote:
brose002 wrote:

=+1

+2

+3

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 am

Oban wrote:
clint4law wrote:
brose002 wrote:

=+1

+2

+3

Is it just me, or does anyone else always read GULC as a wet, guttural sound, like what a frog sounds like when he vomits? That being said, "DR GULC 12/01" sounded sort of disturbing in my head.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:05 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
managamy wrote:I was puzzled to receive bulging envelopes from Michigan and Cornell, two of the few top-20 schools to which I actually didn't apply. Did I somehow send an application without realizing it? :shock:

When I opened them, I realized that they were sending promotional materials (viewbooks, personal letters, etc.) in the hopes of sparking my interest. I was surprised that such highly ranked institutions would spend time and effort on recruiting applicants. A month ago, the tactic might have worked; both schools looked much more pleasant than I had imagined.

Spending a day writing a good Why Mich would be worth it IMO for a potential Darrow invite. Cornell, mehhhh.....

is there no chance at a darrow if you don't write a why mich? i don't know what sort of numbers are required for darrow but i feel like maybe i'm sorta in the eligible range. but i didn't write a why mich - does that cancel me out?

Postby 02082010 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:19 am

GargamelITT wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
managamy wrote:I was puzzled to receive bulging envelopes from Michigan and Cornell, two of the few top-20 schools to which I actually didn't apply. Did I somehow send an application without realizing it? :shock:

When I opened them, I realized that they were sending promotional materials (viewbooks, personal letters, etc.) in the hopes of sparking my interest. I was surprised that such highly ranked institutions would spend time and effort on recruiting applicants. A month ago, the tactic might have worked; both schools looked much more pleasant than I had imagined.

Spending a day writing a good Why Mich would be worth it IMO for a potential Darrow invite. Cornell, mehhhh.....

is there no chance at a darrow if you don't write a why mich? i don't know what sort of numbers are required for darrow but i feel like maybe i'm sorta in the eligible range. but i didn't write a why mich - does that cancel me out?

No, not necessarily. Although Darrow invites arent strictly numbers based. I think those with good softs, a well put together app and HYS numbers are those typically invited to apply for the Darrow. Also, they invite you to apply for the scholarship and you either get half-tuition or the full Darrow.

There were a bunch of "HLS/YLS v. Darrow" threads this past spring as people's cycles began to wind down. It would truly be an impossible decision to make.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:29 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

No, not necessarily. Although Darrow invites arent strictly numbers based. I think those with good softs, a well put together app and HYS numbers are those typically invited to apply for the Darrow. Also, they invite you to apply for the scholarship and you either get half-tuition or the full Darrow.

There were a bunch of "HLS/YLS v. Darrow" threads this past spring as people's cycles began to wind down. It would truly be an impossible decision to make.

thanks for the info. that's a tough decision i still wouldn't mind having to make :)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:There were a bunch of "HLS/YLS v. Darrow" threads this past spring as people's cycles began to wind down. It would truly be an impossible decision to make.

Uh. No.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:05 am

managamy wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:There were a bunch of "HLS/YLS v. Darrow" threads this past spring as people's cycles began to wind down. It would truly be an impossible decision to make.

Uh. No.

To some people, graduating debt free from a T10 is more attractive than graduating $200,000 in debt from HYS. Makes sense.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:12 am

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:

Uh. No.

To some people, graduating debt free from a T10 is more attractive than graduating $200,000 in debt from HYS. Makes sense.

I understand the reasoning, certainly, but I don't think that you can put a price tag on the unique recognition carried by HYS. Just personally, I couldn't possibly bring myself to turn down one of them for Ann Arbor.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:32 am

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:

Uh. No.

I understand the reasoning, certainly, but I don't think that you can put a price tag on the unique recognition carried by HYS. Just personally, I couldn't possibly bring myself to turn down one of them for Ann Arbor.

I guess it's the kind of thing that depends on your priorities and career goals. There's no right answer.

forza

Postby forza » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:31 am

crackberry wrote:I guess it's the kind of thing that depends on your priorities and career goals. There's no right answer.

I'm with you. Darrow at Michigan over sticker at Harvard any day of the week.

It's $140,000+, and a pretty good sized stipend (maybe $5,000/year?) You would be leaving law school - an incredibly good law school - owing practically nothing and likely working right alongside Harvard and Yale grads.

Sounds like a sweet deal to me, but then again, I couldn't give a shit less about prestige. Cost-benefit analysis > prestige.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 am

Just got into Michigan this morning, via the admitted student's site.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:44 am

forza wrote:
crackberry wrote:I guess it's the kind of thing that depends on your priorities and career goals. There's no right answer.

It's $140,000+, and a pretty good sized stipend (maybe $5,000/year?) You would be leaving law school - an incredibly good law school - owing practically nothing and likely working right alongside Harvard and Yale grads.

Sounds like a sweet deal to me, but then again, I couldn't give a shit less about prestige. Cost-benefit analysis > prestige.

+1 Work hard at Michigan and you will have the same career prospects as Harvard IMO, you will also be Debt free.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:48 am

forza wrote:

If I were to be offered the Darrow, it would be a no-brainer. But I'd also choose Michigan with $$ over CCN most likely.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:48 am

I haven't heard anything from any schools in a while. I'm betting next week I'll get several decisions back, since I will be out of country, and won't be able to check them... thats just how shit works.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:52 am

Wait til March. You three can give your opinions to those who start those threads. I have a feeling at least two of you will be starting threads of you own.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Decision mailed at Vanderbilt on 12/1.

hhg

Postby hhg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:48 pm

crackberry wrote:Decision mailed at Vanderbilt on 12/1.

soooo jealous. i want mine!!

hope your decision is a good one!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm

hhg wrote:
crackberry wrote:Decision mailed at Vanderbilt on 12/1.

soooo jealous. i want mine!!

hope your decision is a good one!

Thanks, I hope so too.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:27 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:

Uh. No.

I assume you've withdrawn from the lower T14 then? Or are you riding it out for the ego boost?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:27 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:I assume you've withdrawn from the lower T14 then? Or are you riding it out for the ego boost?

Burn

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:29 pm

maggiebre wrote:
forza wrote:

If I were to be offered the Darrow, it would be a no-brainer. But I'd also choose Michigan with $$ over CCN most likely.

For me, yes. But I am also a Michigan ED who is unlikely to receive any help. If I had the numbers, though, I would definitely choose Michigan Darrow over CCN.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Heard from Michigan today. Received status checker and went complete. I submitted two weeks ago. It was the last of my apps.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”