Official "Who Did You Hear From Today?" 2009-2010 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
missvik218

Re: Official "Who Did You Hear From Today?" 2009-2010 Cycle

Postby missvik218 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm

CBHoff wrote:
missvik218 wrote:Rejection from Cornell arrived.

When did you go complete?

2/4

Ev6strng

Postby Ev6strng » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 pm

So I have been wait listed at
UT
UVA
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Duke
Michigan

Still haven’t heard from (but I suspect most will continue the trend)
Northwestern
USC
Cornell
Boston U

My #`s
UGPA: 3.7
Cumulative GPA: 3.59
LSAT: 170

Q: I didn’t apply until January 22, can I reasonably assign the blame for my current admissions results on this factor

Q: What are my odds of getting off of one of these waitlists?

hotwater

Postby hotwater » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 pm

cyh wrote:
hotwater wrote:at this point in the cycle, isnt it likely that decisions are going to be rejections or waitlists? or am i just a huge pessimist?

I was thinking the same thing. However the application pool is so huge, I just think schools are a bit overwhelmed and a bit behind. So maybe there will be a few more acceptances by the end of March.

But also for the sake of caution, many WLs will go out starting in April.

I hope youre right!

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Ev6strng wrote:So I have been wait listed at
UT
UVA
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Duke
Michigan

Still haven’t heard from (but I suspect most will continue the trend)
Northwestern
USC
Cornell
Boston U

My #`s
UGPA: 3.7
Cumulative GPA: 3.59
LSAT: 170

Q: I didn’t apply until January 22, can I reasonably assign the blame for my current admissions results on this factor

Q: What are my odds of getting off of one of these waitlists?

any acceptances?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Waitlisted at UVA. Sounds about right.

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 pm

hotwater wrote:
cyh wrote:
hotwater wrote:at this point in the cycle, isnt it likely that decisions are going to be rejections or waitlists? or am i just a huge pessimist?

I was thinking the same thing. However the application pool is so huge, I just think schools are a bit overwhelmed and a bit behind. So maybe there will be a few more acceptances by the end of March.

But also for the sake of caution, many WLs will go out starting in April.

I hope youre right!

haha, I hope I'm right too.

Key Dates to look out for (March 26- this weekend) and (April 9)

These dates seem to be the dates of several admitted students weekends, so schools should be accepting before these weekend. After that..... WL WL WL WL

...just my .02

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 pm

clintonius wrote:Waitlisted at UVA. Sounds about right.

+1

The rest might be due to your late app -- unless you're amazing, meaning you've found the cure for something--- a late app can hurt ESPECIALLY this cycle with the number of apps increasing by a ridiculous number.

As far as Cornell goes, I'm afraid for ANYONE, especially the late bloomers, because Cornell is soooo slow and taking forever.

BU is giving out a lot of money, so if and when you do get accepted, probably won't be that many funds left

Michigan's wait list is loooooooooooooooooong also.

and Georgetown and their spwl pwl wl specialspecialpwl :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: I won't even go there..

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Me too

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm

cyh wrote:

+1

The rest might be due to your late app -- unless you're amazing, meaning you've found the cure for something--- a late app can hurt ESPECIALLY this cycle with the number of apps increasing by a ridiculous number.

Yep. Especially considering the limited number of spots UVA has for out-of-staters, the late apps really hurt me there and at Michigan and Boalt. Still hoping for some love from Stanford though!

Ev6strng

Postby Ev6strng » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 pm

no acceptances so far :(

usc status just went to decission finalized so hopefully that changes soon

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Question:

unfortunately I applied in January, so I am still waiting on decisions from 8 more schools (all T14)

I was accepted to BU with 90k. But for some reason I am still here biting my nails over these T14 decisions. My mother says "stop the bi&*$ing and just go to BU." Am I being stupid? Should I just shut my trap, and take the money and run? :|

Ev6strng

Postby Ev6strng » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

cyh wrote:Question:

unfortunately I applied in January, so I am still waiting on decisions from 8 more schools (all T14)

I was accepted to BU with 90k. But for some reason I am still here biting my nails over these T14 decisions. My mother says "stop the bi&*$ing and just go to BU." Am I being stupid? Should I just shut my trap, and take the money and run? :|

I havent heard from BU yet, but i feel the same way. I really want to break the T14, and with how much Ive beed WL`ed should I just wait and apply early next year

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

It depends on lots of different factors, but the short answer is no, don't put down a deposit at BU until you hear back from some of these other places. With a 90k scholly I assume you have decent numbers, and you should have a fighting chance at a t14. Even if you wind up going to BU, what's the harm in giving it another month to see what happens with the rest of your apps?

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Ev6strng wrote:

I havent heard from BU yet, but i feel the same way. I really want to break the T14, and with how much Ive beed WL`ed should I just wait and apply early next year

I know a few people who were waitlisted in one cycle. applied really early the following cycle and got accepted to the same schools.
But I really want to go to law school this year.
BU is a great school, obviously, but like you said I really want to break the T14
Last edited by cyh on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:56 pm

When is the BU deposit deadline? There is no harm in waiting to see what happens. T14 schools are still sending out acceptances you know.

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:57 pm

clintonius wrote:It depends on lots of different factors, but the short answer is no, don't put down a deposit at BU until you hear back from some of these other places. With a 90k scholly I assume you have decent numbers, and you should have a fighting chance at a t14. Even if you wind up going to BU, what's the harm in giving it another month to see what happens with the rest of your apps?

only harm = I lose my scholly :shock:

you have to pay the deposit by the deadline to accept the scholly offer or you lose it.
It's only 200. I think I will pay it, and if I am accepted to better schools in the T14 after, I would have lost 200 dollars, but it will be well worth it.

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:58 pm

existenz wrote:

When is the BU deposit deadline? There is no harm in waiting to see what happens. T14 schools are still sending out acceptances you know.

April 15.

I just hope T14s get to me before then.

blackmamba76

Postby blackmamba76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 pm

We have carefully reviewed your application for admission. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in the entering class.

We have received approximately 7,900 nonresident applications and 650 resident applications for the 350 seats in the entering class. There is no question in my mind that this will be the most difficult year on record in which to gain admission to Virginia Law. This is especially true for nonresidents.

I hope you excuse the informality of this communication, but I thought you might appreciate speed over formality at this point in the season. In addition, we are communicating almost exclusively via email now in an attempt to reduce our reliance on paper.

I sincerely appreciate your interest in Virginia Law and wish you the very best in your legal education and professional career.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:09 pm

cyh wrote:
clintonius wrote:It depends on lots of different factors, but the short answer is no, don't put down a deposit at BU until you hear back from some of these other places. With a 90k scholly I assume you have decent numbers, and you should have a fighting chance at a t14. Even if you wind up going to BU, what's the harm in giving it another month to see what happens with the rest of your apps?

you have to pay the deposit by the deadline to accept the scholly offer or you lose it.
It's only 200. I think I will pay it, and if I am accepted to better schools in the T14 after, I would have lost 200 dollars, but it will be well worth it.

Oh, heh, yes, losing you scholarship would be bad news (not to be confused with Berenstain) bears. But it could be worse than being out $200.

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:10 pm

clintonius wrote:
cyh wrote:

Oh, heh, yes, losing you scholarship would be bad news (not to be confused with Berenstain) bears. But it could be worse than being out $200.

agreed. losing $200 - attending Columbia (easy decision if you ask me)

hhg

Postby hhg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 pm

just got a wl email from unc! wooo i've officially heard from every school!! unc is the last school i was waiting to hear from.... will withdraw. yaay, my cycle is over!

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:23 pm

hhg wrote:just got a wl email from unc! wooo i've officially heard from every school!! unc is the last school i was waiting to hear from.... will withdraw. yaay, my cycle is over!
Congrats! Go get yourself a beer and put your feet up. Time to relax.

foxyeconomist

Postby foxyeconomist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:51 pm

big_blue79 wrote:E-mail saying I remain in the Special Preferred Select Awesome Section of the Revered and Prioritized Wait List at Georgetown. I withdrew.

Complete at Cornell.

Thanks for the withdraw BigBlue! From all of us on the SPWL.

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Waitlisted at UVA and rejected at Fordham. Shouldn't that be the other way around? :roll:

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:49 pm

foxyeconomist wrote:
big_blue79 wrote:E-mail saying I remain in the Special Preferred Select Awesome Section of the Revered and Prioritized Wait List at Georgetown. I withdrew.

Complete at Cornell.

Thanks for the withdraw BigBlue! From all of us on the SPWL.

i may just be a regular economist, but +1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”