Official "Who Did You Hear From Today?" 2009-2010 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jrugg88

New

Re: Official "Who Did You Hear From Today?" 2009-2010 Cycle

Post by Jrugg88 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm

strawinlemonade wrote:on hold @ CLS till end of may
End of May? What does the letter say?

Everyone else I've seen on "hold" indicated that CLS said they'd give decisions April 21 or April 27. The "reserve" letters indicated May...

strawinlemonade

New

Post by strawinlemonade » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:20 am

Jrugg88 wrote:

Everyone else I've seen on "hold" indicated that CLS said they'd give decisions April 21 or April 27. The "reserve" letters indicated May...
Haven't seen letter yet. Girlfriend read it and told me.
Do you know the difference between being held and on reserve, other than dates? Thanks.

Jrugg88

New

Post by Jrugg88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:49 am

strawinlemonade wrote:
Jrugg88 wrote:

Do you know the difference between being held and on reserve, other than dates? Thanks.
The difference between being held and on reserve pretty much is dates, which is why I'm surprised.

People are usually held early in the cycle because the admissions committee isn't ready to render a decision (accept/reject/waitlisted) until they have a better idea of the applicant pool in that particular year. Therefore, they hold you until the end of the cycle and then give you a decision (usually, though not always, an acceptance or waitlist) once they have seen more of the applicant pool.

People are usually waitlisted (or in the case of CLS, put on "reserve") because the admissions committee believes they can matriculate a class that would not include them. These judgments however are made based on estimates of expected yield, which are obviously not entirely accurate (largely because the estimates are necessarily conservative) and so once the admissions committee has a better idea of yield for the particular year (often after the first seat deposit) they draw from the waitlist if they overestimated yield.

That is why holds are considered prior to people on reserve and why it seems strange that you would receive a "hold" letter indicating that your application will be reviewed again in May when other "hold" letters indicated late April (e.g. before the first seat deposit) and other "reserve" letters indicated sometime in May (e.g. after the first seat deposit).

That however is just my understanding. I could obviously be wrong, in which case anyone is free to correct me (and I have no doubt someone will happily do so).

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Dinged at Yale via email.

strawinlemonade

New

Post by strawinlemonade » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:50 am

Jrugg88 wrote:
strawinlemonade wrote:
Jrugg88 wrote:

The difference between being held and on reserve pretty much is dates, which is why I'm surprised.

People are usually held early in the cycle because the admissions committee isn't ready to render a decision (accept/reject/waitlisted) until they have a better idea of the applicant pool in that particular year. Therefore, they hold you until the end of the cycle and then give you a decision (usually, though not always, an acceptance or waitlist) once they have seen more of the applicant pool.

People are usually waitlisted (or in the case of CLS, put on "reserve") because the admissions committee believes they can matriculate a class that would not include them. These judgments however are made based on estimates of expected yield, which are obviously not entirely accurate (largely because the estimates are necessarily conservative) and so once the admissions committee has a better idea of yield for the particular year (often after the first seat deposit) they draw from the waitlist if they overestimated yield.

That is why holds are considered prior to people on reserve and why it seems strange that you would receive a "hold" letter indicating that your application will be reviewed again in May when other "hold" letters indicated late April (e.g. before the first seat deposit) and other "reserve" letters indicated sometime in May (e.g. after the first seat deposit).

That however is just my understanding. I could obviously be wrong, in which case anyone is free to correct me (and I have no doubt someone will happily do so).
I read letter. Thanks, you were correct: being on hold has priority over wait-list/reserve. CLS says they always admit some from reserve each year, beginning in late May thru August, but that it varies unpredictably from year to year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:37 pm

rejected at NYU. I applied in Nov / Dec (170, 2.98)

b.dale.flat

New

Post by b.dale.flat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:33 pm

WL @ GW
snail mail, applied at the deadline

if i got WLed this late, does that mean they think I have a chance of getting off of it? that's my feeling, they WLed people a long time ago, they must think I have some shot of getting off of it.
that's my rationalizing at least :-P

Bronze

Post by 342848386278 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Held at Cornell.

Also, just got an email out of the blue from Minnesota saying, "We know we WLed you a while back, but actually, you can have a full ride if you want to come now." Wow. Hmm.

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:31 pm

342848386278 wrote:Held at Cornell.

Also, just got an email out of the blue from Minnesota saying, "We know we WLed you a while back, but actually, you can have a full ride if you want to come now." Wow. Hmm.
Whaaaaat?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 pm

primusux wrote:

Whaaaaat?
lmao. nice. proof that you were a YP.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:04 pm

That is awesome. I just turned down a scholarship from them yesterday. I hope they gave it to you.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 pm

In at Cornell... finally.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue May 04, 2010 5:58 am

After all these months Cornell responded to my application. They put me on reserve. Not complete, not waitlist, not on hold but on reserve. wtf. :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue May 04, 2010 10:26 am

Rejected from UVA after being waitlisted a while back. Never visited or sent a LOCI.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 am

Three days after the enrollment deadline I have still heard nothing from Chicago . . .

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue May 04, 2010 10:36 am

sibley wrote:Rejected from UVA after being waitlisted a while back. Never visited or sent a LOCI.
I was rejected too. They are looking for high GPA people from their waitlist not high LSAT splitters. I sent a LOCI But I got dropped on Friday too. They over-accepted again this year too and the dean sent out a twitter saying that they would not pull from the waitlist untill summer at the earliest.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Heard from California School of Law (or whatever it's called) tonight!!! IN!!!!! woohoo. I didn't apply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 pm

sibley wrote:Heard from California School of Law (or whatever it's called) tonight!!! IN!!!!! woohoo. I didn't apply.
Any $$$ ??? :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”