SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:12 pm

looks like last year someone (EA) received scholarship info on Fri Feb 27.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51824&start=425

but a few posts before, someone said they spoke with smu. they said that they were behind on financial aid and it would take an extra 3-4 weeks than originally planned.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51824&start=400

this was 2009, so take it for what it's worth.
Last edited by utcris410 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:26 pm

najumobi wrote:anyone have an idea of when smu's admitted students day/weekend is usually held?

doesn't look like anyone got back to you. maybe a phone call is in order?

i did find this: http://calendar.law.smu.edu/week.aspx?day=2010-03-24

and this that says "evening": http://calendar.law.smu.edu/day.aspx?day=2010-02-23

Katherine
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Katherine » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:23 pm

do we still think a round of acceptances is coming out tomorrow? has anyone's status changed?

justsmu10
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby justsmu10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Katherine wrote:do we still think a round of acceptances is coming out tomorrow? has anyone's status changed?


I was hopeful, and I guess it's still possible...but I haven't heard of anyone going Decision Rendered today....

If not tomorrow, maybe next week?

User avatar
justcap
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby justcap » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 pm

Does anybody know if SMU will pay for or reimburse you for travel expenses if going to visit the school? If so, how do you go about doing it?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:57 am

Anyone get any scholarship info?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fathergoose » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:27 am

kalvano wrote:Anyone get any scholarship info?


nope. Although uh raising tuition by almost 6 grand was probably a huge relief for the smu adcomm.

Anybody know what the timeline on the sumner is?

User avatar
bonnieblue
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby bonnieblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:29 am

lady said we should hear something if they want us to interview by the end of feb

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:26 am

justcap wrote:Does anybody know if SMU will pay for or reimburse you for travel expenses if going to visit the school? If so, how do you go about doing it?


Also interested in this, as I'll be flying in from DC

User avatar
Gunners87
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Gunners87 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:33 pm

justcap wrote:Does anybody know if SMU will pay for or reimburse you for travel expenses if going to visit the school? If so, how do you go about doing it?


I emailed them about this a couple of weeks ago and they (a woman named Maggie) said that no stipends/travel reimbursements are available. Pretty bummed about the answer as a lot of schools similarly ranked do and it would make a visit much more manageable...

Stephanie13
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:43 pm

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:Anyone get any scholarship info?


nope. Although uh raising tuition by almost 6 grand was probably a huge relief for the smu adcomm.

Anybody know what the timeline on the sumner is?

wait, what is this about a tuition increase?

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Gunners87 wrote:
justcap wrote:Does anybody know if SMU will pay for or reimburse you for travel expenses if going to visit the school? If so, how do you go about doing it?


I emailed them about this a couple of weeks ago and they (a woman named Maggie) said that no stipends/travel reimbursements are available. Pretty bummed about the answer as a lot of schools similarly ranked do and it would make a visit much more manageable...


That sucks. I've never been to big D, so I need to visit before I commit, but I really don't have $500+ just for a short visit.

User avatar
justcap
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby justcap » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:32 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
Gunners87 wrote:
justcap wrote:Does anybody know if SMU will pay for or reimburse you for travel expenses if going to visit the school? If so, how do you go about doing it?


I emailed them about this a couple of weeks ago and they (a woman named Maggie) said that no stipends/travel reimbursements are available. Pretty bummed about the answer as a lot of schools similarly ranked do and it would make a visit much more manageable...


That sucks. I've never been to big D, so I need to visit before I commit, but I really don't have $500+ just for a short visit.

Darn, I was hoping they'd help us out a bit.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:47 pm

i don't think it would hurt to call/email and ask. unless you've called them 239084 times already, it shouldn't affect you negatively. who knows? maybe they give something to certain applicants but don't publicize it??

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby mcflooter06 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Got my scholarship offer in the mail today in Dallas, about 80% tuition, Dean's scholarship. Also applied for Sumner's, so we'll see. 171/3.5

User avatar
bonnieblue
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby bonnieblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:36 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:Got my scholarship offer in the mail today in Dallas, about 80% tuition, Dean's scholarship. Also applied for Sumner's, so we'll see. 171/3.5


man if you don't get a full ride, who does?

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm

bonnieblue wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:Got my scholarship offer in the mail today in Dallas, about 80% tuition, Dean's scholarship. Also applied for Sumner's, so we'll see. 171/3.5


man if you don't get a full ride, who does?

agreed

but scholarship notification is great news!! :) congrats!!

fallguy
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fallguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:43 pm

I got a scholarship notice today in Fort Worth. $22,000 renewable on good standing and full-time enrollment. This is better than I was anticipating. There was also a notice about ASD: one on March 19th, one on April 23rd.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:44 pm

fallguy wrote:I got a scholarship notice today in Fort Worth. $22,000 renewable on good standing and full-time enrollment. This is better than I was anticipating. There was also a notice about ASD: one on March 19th, one on April 23rd.

congrats!!! :)

fallguy
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fallguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:54 pm

utcris410 wrote:
fallguy wrote:I got a scholarship notice today in Fort Worth. $22,000 renewable on good standing and full-time enrollment. This is better than I was anticipating. There was also a notice about ASD: one on March 19th, one on April 23rd.

congrats!!! :)


Thank you. I'm very excited about this one. My wife and I like DFW and would love to stick around.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Are you going to make it out to one of the ASD?

jayare
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jayare » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 pm

utcris410 wrote:Are you going to make it out to one of the ASD?


When are they? I didn't get anything about them in my packet!

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 pm

fallguy wrote:I got a scholarship notice today in Fort Worth. $22,000 renewable on good standing and full-time enrollment. This is better than I was anticipating. There was also a notice about ASD: one on March 19th, one on April 23rd.

fallguy
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fallguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:33 pm

I plan to be there on March 19.

Stephanie13
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

I also got my scholarship in the mail today!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cd1945, Chipotle85, lillawyer2, mjm1315, Nickel94, pandaaa, pantsuitchic, potterotter, ramp_999, studyingeveryday and 18 guests