SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bcb1986
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:36 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby bcb1986 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:52 pm

tinyone wrote:Any 2L have a recommendation on which Black's Law Dictionary to buy? The deluxe 9th ed. is $121.77 on Amazon but the pocket and abridged versions are significantly cheaper. Is it worth the extra money to buy the deluxe ed?


Black's is built in to Westlaw. You'll get a WL account/password at orientation.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:00 pm

callingsarah wrote:To those of you who got your funds-- did your disburement page say something about a check, or use the nickname you'd given your account? I had set up for direct deposit but it says check next to my disbursement stuff...


It used the nickname, but under description it was called "SMU Student Financial Refund Check." It was definitely a direct deposit, though.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 pm

callingsarah wrote:To those of you who got your funds-- did your disburement page say something about a check, or use the nickname you'd given your account? I had set up for direct deposit but it says check next to my disbursement stuff...

Mine isn't using the nickname and does say "check". I'm supposed to be direct deposit.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm

chrisokc wrote:
callingsarah wrote:To those of you who got your funds-- did your disburement page say something about a check, or use the nickname you'd given your account? I had set up for direct deposit but it says check next to my disbursement stuff...

Mine isn't using the nickname and does say "check". I'm supposed to be direct deposit.


+1

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Iconoclast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Bah.. mine is still blank. Shows up in the "unbilled activity" and nowhere else.

I guess they'll get around to it eventually.

User avatar
Texasboundanddown
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Texasboundanddown » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Uhhh I just got an email saying I need to do loan counseling. But I when I log in I can see my last recorded session which was sent to the school...do it over again or just chalk it up to a redundant email? I might just do it again I guess.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi all! I haven't been on here in awhile. If anyone is still looking for housing, I have an apartment available. I'm moving to Boston for school next week. The girl who was going to move-in backed out yesterday. I have a few months left on my lease but my apartment complex will let me out of it if I find someone to lease my apartment. The rent would stay the same ($765) and would require a 6-13 month lease. It's your choice as to how many months you'd like to lease for. There is no deposit required right now. The building is the Dallas Power & Lights (DP&L) building downtown between Jackson and Commerce Streets.

I have lived in this apartment for 3 years and I would have stayed another 3 years if I had chosen SMU. It's a great apartment! Cats and dogs are okay.

If you know of anyone who is interested, please contact me. If there's another thread where I should post this, please let me know. Thanks! :)

Here is a link to the floorplan: --LinkRemoved--
You can click on the floorplan to enlarge.

-1,199 square feet
-10th floor (elevator access)
-has a doggie area right outside the front door
-FOB access
-parking in gated garage (included in rent)
-concrete floors
-you can choose your electric, cable and internet companies
-W&D hookups (if you lease the apartment, you can have m W&D)
-the large room to the left of the bathroom is the huge closet
-patio overlooking the pool/restaurant area
-small gym on premise
-new appliances
-monthly resident functions

Move-in date can be as soon as Monday 8/16.

222 Browder
Dallas, TX

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:40 pm

I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

:?:

It's right there on the website.

They are very snippy and kind of rude.

ClemTiger
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby ClemTiger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I may be a little tight first semester due in part because I didn't take near the full amount of aid I was offered. Does anyone know if we are able to increase the amount of aid we receive for second semester? Thank you!

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:49 pm

kalvano wrote:I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

:?:

It's right there on the website.

They are very snippy and kind of rude.

Mine's 1107 too. Maybe 1107 means direct deposit? They couldn't be sending us both the same check number.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Iconoclast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:52 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

:?:

It's right there on the website.

They are very snippy and kind of rude.

Mine's 1107 too. Maybe 1107 means direct deposit? They couldn't be sending us both the same check number.


It probably means the date it will finally find its way into your bank account. You don't need any money before the second week in November, do you?

:P

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:02 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

:?:

It's right there on the website.

They are very snippy and kind of rude.

Mine's 1107 too. Maybe 1107 means direct deposit? They couldn't be sending us both the same check number.


They confirmed I am set up for direct deposit.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Also, if anyone is interested, somehow I ended up with two copies of the torts E&E. It's the 3rd edition, so it's the older one, but it should be moderately sufficient.

First one to claim it can have it at orientation.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, if anyone is interested, somehow I ended up with two copies of the torts E&E. It's the 3rd edition, so it's the older one, but it should be moderately sufficient.

First one to claim it can have it at orientation.

I have a fifth edition Civ Pro up for grabs too.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:17 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

:?:

It's right there on the website.

They are very snippy and kind of rude.

Mine's 1107 too. Maybe 1107 means direct deposit? They couldn't be sending us both the same check number.


They confirmed I am set up for direct deposit.

Kal, to clarify, your nickname, account, and method fields are blank? I'm trying to avoid calling that office again.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:21 pm

chrisokc wrote:Kal, to clarify, your nickname, account, and method fields are blank? I'm trying to avoid calling that office again.


Exactly what mine looks like -

Image

User avatar
Texasboundanddown
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Texasboundanddown » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:22 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, if anyone is interested, somehow I ended up with two copies of the torts E&E. It's the 3rd edition, so it's the older one, but it should be moderately sufficient.

First one to claim it can have it at orientation.


Yo I'll take it. Lemme know in pms.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Kal, to clarify, your nickname, account, and method fields are blank? I'm trying to avoid calling that office again.


Exactly what mine looks like -

Image

Good - that's exactly what mine looks like.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 pm

That's really weird that it looks like that.

You guys set up profiles for a direct deposit, right? I'm so excited our school is treating some of you in such a way before class even starts. I had always heard fin aid was terrible. Undoubtedly confirmed.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Kal, to clarify, your nickname, account, and method fields are blank? I'm trying to avoid calling that office again.


Exactly what mine looks like -

Image

Good - that's exactly what mine looks like.


+1 I also just got an e-mail from SMU saying that my aid had been disbursed and I would receive it in my bank account within 48 business hours...I'm hoping they don't mean office hours, b/c that's 6 days.
Last edited by tinyone on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

ClemTiger wrote:I may be a little tight first semester due in part because I didn't take near the full amount of aid I was offered. Does anyone know if we are able to increase the amount of aid we receive for second semester? Thank you!


I'd also like to know this.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fathergoose » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:13 pm

tinyone wrote:+1 I also just got an e-mail from SMU saying that my aid had been disbursed and I would receive it in my bank account within 48 business hours...I'm hoping they don't mean office hours, b/c that's 6 days.


I was wondering this too. So if its two business days, does that mean it could be until Tuesday night before I get my refund? That's a little frightening.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:20 am

fathergoose wrote:
tinyone wrote:+1 I also just got an e-mail from SMU saying that my aid had been disbursed and I would receive it in my bank account within 48 business hours...I'm hoping they don't mean office hours, b/c that's 6 days.


I was wondering this too. So if its two business days, does that mean it could be until Tuesday night before I get my refund? That's a little frightening.


Mine didn't go through today. It says it's completed on the SMU web page, but since it's the weekend, it will probably be Monday or Tuesday.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 am

Woohoo I'm rich! Now I can finally buy books!

-Glyn-
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby -Glyn- » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:27 am

Received my direct deposit yesterday - time to pull the trigger on a new laptop I'll be making payments on over the next 25 years!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”